A typical 3000-graft FUT scar can be about thirteen centimeters long and four to six millimeters wide. As no two patients' donor areas and goals are equal, the size of the linear scar can be dependent on density, hair characteristics, and closure method. The reduction of the overall area in the donor region may cause stretch-back to occur well after the FUT grafts have matured.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If all goes well, it's pencil thin and indiscernible to anyone looking at you casually, they should have to hunt for it with intention to actually find it.

However, if an inexperienced surgeon performs an underwhelming closure, or if the patient's physiology causes less than ideal healing, there can be complications that make scar tissue more evident and abundant, and this would necessitate a scar revision as an effort to make the scar more in line with the pencil thin aesthetic that should be the goal of the scar.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

MrGio - What is "stretch-back"? If I go with FUT then I will be going with Feriduni most likely so I will be assured of the surgeon's skill/experience.

Speegs, what I was wondering (and clearly didn't explain well, apologies) is what the dimensions of the scar will be afterwards. I know it should be pencil thin in an ideal world, depending on a person's laxity. I am just wondering how much of my scalp they're going to hack out to do this procedure.

The average person has about 60 to 80 FU/cm2 on the sides and back. Say 70 on average

So for 3000 grafts you need a strip of about 42 cm2. Divide that by 30cm length and it's about 1.5cm wide strip.

So it will probably be something like 1.75cm at its widest point (centre back of donor).

Mine was something crazy like 2.7cm average. I think my density is nothing special but the calibre is above average.

Edit: so the scar should be about 30cm and end up no more than 1-2 mm wide with a top doc.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

The average person has about 60 to 80 FU/cm2 on the sides and back. Say 70 on average

So for 3000 grafts you need a strip of about 42 cm2. Divide that by 30cm length and it's about 1.5cm wide strip.

So it will probably be something like 1.75cm at its widest point (centre back of donor).

Mine was something crazy like 2.7cm average. I think my density is nothing special but the calibre is above average.

Edit: so the scar should be about 30cm and end up no more than 1-2 mm wide with a top doc.

Thanks for the reply. The scar will be 30cm long?! That's the length of a ruler. That's huge! Is that right?

Thanks for the reply. The scar will be 30cm long?! That's the length of a ruler. That's huge! Is that right?

Yeah mine is about 32cm.

Depends on the size of your head obviously plus how big a safe zone.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day