Female Hair Loss Help!

Hello! I’m a healthy 27 yr old female and I’ve been gradually loosing my hair since I was around 20. I’ve seen doctors in the past, however, testing has always proved there is no under lying cause for my loss such as anemia or thyroid issues. It’s been suggested that I try Rogaine, however, I never have tried it before because I wasn’t sure I’d see any results. Last year I tried Vichy Dercos Neogenic with With 5% Stemoxidende for several months without any results.

At this point I’m willing to try Rogaine, but I’m actually more interested in trying something that would warrant much thicker results. I’ve done quite a bit of research on doctors and different procedures, however, most doctors are geared towards men and I’m having trouble finding more female-centric clinics and doctors. I’m willing to spend the $$ and travel to a very good and experienced doctor, however, I’m having trouble finding info on which doctors have more experience and knowledge specifically with female hair loss, female hair transplants, etc.

Is there anyone here who could help me out and even give me some advice on what are the next steps I should take. I’m located in Canada, but I’m open to going other places like the States and Europe if it's going to make a difference.

I’ve attached some pics. Sorry about the upside down pictures, I don't know how to stop it from doing that. Also sorry for the messy hair! It's a lot worse when my hair gets a bit greasy so I wanted to show that. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

IMG_7789.thumb.jpg.b395f44ba1a5443857c5188897f5eef0.jpg

IMG_7800.thumb.jpg.d1645c90f532070163f4b1713d425915.jpg

IMG_7806.thumb.jpg.de91c6577609b67209908a4f1dafeb07.jpg

IMG_7814.thumb.jpg.9e5e64be0a3dab32482e3f82dd63abdd.jpg

IMG_7804.thumb.jpg.b0481f74a5a49ac0063ab7f3d6c008bd.jpg

• Administrators

Your pattern seems consistent with female androgenic hair loss, which is hormonal, it could be caused by birth control,ovarian cysts etc. I know you said you've ruled everything out but might be a good idea to speak to a doctor about potential causes. A full panel of your hormones should be drawn and perhaps a scalp biopsy.

As for treatment, 2% minoxidil and spironolactone may work to prevent further hair loss and perhaps some regrowth, of course the other treatment option would be minoxidil 2% and estrogen/progesterone. These treatments would require blood work and prescriptions, since you're in Canada you can start off by consulting with Hasson and Wong in Vancouver and Dr. Rahal in Ottawa, I don't know that there is one doctor that specifically specializes in female hair loss, but both of those clinics have been around a long time and have undoubtedly worked with female patients. Lastly, you want to do a search in the hair transplant review section of this forum and put in "female" and look at female patient reviews.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

however, I’m having trouble finding info on which doctors have more experience and knowledge specifically with female hair loss, female hair transplants, etc.

Thanks!

I'd suggest Konior/Nadimi at the Chicago Hair Institute, Ron & Paul Shapiro + Josephitis at the Shapiro Medical Group, Bernstein (NYC), Cooley (North Carolina), Keene (Arizona).

There are other very good docs in north America but my gut feeling is that these are better suited to female hairloss.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi mermaid. I'm sorry you're going through this. Everybody here knows the pain of hair loss. It's different for a woman to be sure. I think you're getting good suggestions. I agree with the recommendations people are giving you about different doctors to see and medicines to talk to your doctor about. Several of the doctors mentioned about have specific sections on their website for female patients are they discuss how they approach it and they show examples of surgical work in female patients. You should check those out.