Trichophytic Closure

Hi! I was all for FUE and now I am debating FUT. I am concerned about the scar afterwards though. I have read on the websites of a few doctors now that this is the new procedure and reduces scar visibility a lot. My questions are: can any doctors here confirm if this procedure works any better at scar reduction than normal AND if any patients have had it done and have pictures to show the results?

Thanks

Trichophytic closure has been the standard for FUT with most of the leading HT surgeons for many years now.

Thanks for the reply. I have only really just started looking into FUT really as I was so set on FUE so all this is new to me. What you say may well be the case but I have also seen some pretty noticeable scars from FUT too so I am not sure how much more effective it is as a procedure than a "normal" closure.

Thanks for the reply. I have only really just started looking into FUT really as I was so set on FUE so all this is new to me. What you say may well be the case but I have also seen some pretty noticeable scars from FUT too so I am not sure how much more effective it is as a procedure than a "normal" closure.

At the end of the day, surgeon skill is just one factor regarding a scar. All you can do is pick a doc who has a good track record with creating minimal scars then it is upto other factors, like your own physiology and how tight your scalp is going in. Super tight scalp more likelihood you'll stretch a scar, if you got tons of acne scars, or have a history of scarring every time you get a minor scrape you may be prone to scarring and as a result end up with a not so perfect strip scar. If the rest is in line and you got a doc who is skilled you should end up with a good strip scar...if your physiology and circumstances look to be working against you your strip scar may be less than ideal.

I have seen some good tricho closures and some horrible ones. The success of the closure depends primarily on the skill set of the surgeon because not all of them are skilled with that type of closure. Some of the cases have the hair growing through the scar at acute mis-angles and is very noticeable and would have been better to just have a normal closing method done.

Mikey makes several good points including the one regarding the patient's physiology. If the individual heals with pronounced or raised scarring, a tricho method will not help.

And adequate scalp laxity is critical to the outcome of a thin scar as well whether the tricho method is used or not.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Trico closures are crucial to a good result with a scar and protecting future donor, and surgeons with a facial or head and neck plastic surgery background are among the elite at doing it right.

I believe Gabel and Konior fall in that category, they topped my personal list.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

If we're talking about number of trichophytic closures performed, I doubt if many plastic surgeons have performed as many as dedicated HT surgeons who have been doing it every day (perhaps twice a day) for many years.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Undoubtedly, there are not very many plastic surgeons performing HT procedures. And if considering having the procedure, I highly recommend that it is done with a highly skilled and proven HT surgeon with a track record.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY