Attention Doctors and Patients - Medical Records

Hello everyone, I have heard by few folks that if you request your medical records from a doctor/clinic that did your procedure, you have a right to them.

The question is- Can a doctor say they can't provide the entire medical record due to their own confidentiality to the patient?

Have any Patients requested their medical/health record from a doctor and had any doctor say that or have any other issues? Like the doctor would omit information from the record due to confidentiality or any other reasons and not provide complete revord info to the patient?

Is anyone planning on requesting their medical record for their own records or safety?

Doctors and Patients, please let me know if you can get your medical record in its entirety with or without any issue.

Thanks.

Hello everyone, I have heard by few folks that if you request your medical records from a doctor/clinic that did your procedure, you have a right to them.

YOU HAVE RIGHT TO YOUR MEDICAL RECORD.

The question is- Can a doctor say they can't provide the entire medical record due to their own confidentiality to the patient?

NO, they can however decline to give you your medical record if the release of such release is detrimental to your health etc.. - this is hard to prove and if a doctor decides NOT to release your medical record on written request he/she has 15-30 days (depending upon which state the doctor practices in) before which he/she needs to give you written notice as to why the records will not be released. The reason given must be real and truthful, it has to be proven in the court if the doctor is sued.

Have any Patients requested their medical/health record from a doctor and had any doctor say that or have any other issues? Like the doctor would omit information from the record due to confidentiality or any other reasons and not provide complete revord info to the patient?

Doctor generally cannot omit certain parts of record as confidential unless he/she can prove that such release is or will harmful to that someone else, otherwise it is illegal to omit certain parts of records selectively, specially if it involves medico-legal cases

Is anyone planning on requesting their medical record for their own records or safety?

There is no need to quote any reason, you can just request medical records by writing to your doctor's office, however the doctor has right to charge the fees (reasonable) for those records and can withhold those records until fees are paid.This is NOT true for emergencies where records cannot be withheld for fee payment.

Doctors and Patients, please let me know if you can get your medical record in its entirety with or without any issue.

It is your right to have access for medical records. Barring very limited exceptions.

Thanks.

Please see highlighted above.

My Thread: 

I guess your ability to gain access to your records will vary depending on the rules of the country and what Doctors are obliged to share. In the UK patients can have full access to their medical records if requested.

For the most part, laws protect patients and entitle them to copies of their medical records. The request must be done in writing and may at times require a notarized signature from the patient.

As was stated, some clinics may charge fees to copy them especially if the chart is large with many pages.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I guess your ability to gain access to your records will vary depending on the rules of the country and what Doctors are obliged to share. In the UK patients can have full access to their medical records if requested.

HairsGone, its good to know UK offers full access. Thank you for the info.

For the most part, laws protect patients and entitle them to copies of their medical records. The request must be done in writing and may at times require a notarized signature from the patient.

As was stated, some clinics may charge fees to copy them especially if the chart is large with many pages.

Gillenator,

Appreciate the response. Is it correct to say no doctor can omit or change facts in a medical record?

This is definitely something that varies from country to country. In North America, you have a right to access your medical records.

Mattj,

That is good to know. Can i get my med record with accurate info and no omissions or missing pieces?