2years+ on Propecia

jonkee

So around 2 yrs ago I decided to try out on propecia and it stopped the shedding pretty much after few days. Fast forward 2 years later today, I've noticed that around 25-30 hairs in my hand while showering compared to like 10 max. Maybe I am overreacting but it is really a drastic change. Has the finasteride stopped kicking in? Has my body become accustomed to it? Should I try a different brand of finasteride? I mean, if my body has become accustomed to it, when do I decide to stop taking it? because I feel like I'm wasting my money. Of course stopping the dosage of Propecia the shedding may become more severe...

Help............

I've been shedding that many for 20 years daily. I don't think its something to stress about. I have a fairly full head of hair.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Agree with Spanker. I have also been on propecia (generic fin, in my case) for over 2 years and I really don't think shedding 20-30 hairs in the shower is anything to fret about. It's normal to shed far, far more than that per day.

just a bit spooked. From 10+ to like 30+ is kinda scary...

When do you know if it no longer works? say like....if you stop taking propecia and you shed the same amount? guess no one wants to take that risk right?

Jon,

How often are you showering, and, more importantly, how often are you washing your hair when you shower?

All individuals, even those not suffering from androgenic alopecia (aka male pattern hair loss) lose anywhere from 50 to 100 (some even say 150) hairs per day. This is just due to the way hair follicles cycle. It's completely normal and not indicative of any problem. What's more, individuals who don't wash their hair daily tend to get an accumulation of these shed hairs that seem to fall out in greater numbers when washing. The reality is that the same number of hairs are shedding, but you're seeing them in greater numbers because you're physically removing them every other day instead of every day.

The medication isn't likely to lose efficacy this quickly. Nor would switching to another "brand" likely do much. If you're doing well on this medication, the prescribing doctor would probably tell you to stay on it. And you may want to make an appointment with him/her to follow-up with these concerns and see how you're doing with the new med.

But it sounds pretty normal altogether. Likely just natural follicle cycling. May appear more dramatic because of the amount of hair washing or something like a seasonal shed.

Hope this helps!

Dr B

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I see a lot more shedding in the shower when I use hair spray too. Not because I am shedding more, but because nothing falls off of my head throughout the day, because it is not getting combed or run through. I shower 1 time a day only and wash my hair 1 time a day.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Echoing that shedding 20-30 hairs in the shower isn't anything in and of itself to worry about. I've been there though and understand completely how sickening the feeling is when you look at your hands and see a handful of hairs.... It's then easy to jump to conclusions.

You'll also find that if you use product and go several days without washing your hair, you'll see a whole lot more than the 20/30 hairs when you do get around to washing it. So if this ever happens, just be prepared to talk yourself off the ledge and remind yourself that it's totally normal. :)

One more thing... We all shed at different rates and cycles, and there will be times when you're shedding more hair than others. Don't let this freak you out when this happens. The more you're aware of your hair's tendencies and patterns, the better you'll be at logically dealing with all the shedding when it occurs.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys much appreciated.

Another question I wanna ask, is there a ''best time'' take the Propecia? or is there isn't much difference. Usually take it in the morning when I wake up.

Thanks