Concealing a Scar with FUE (111 grafts): Carlos K. Wesley, M.D. (NYC & LA)

Billena

This 53-year-old patient underwent a follicular unit extraction (FUE) session with Dr. Carlos K. Wesley in which a total of 111 grafts were placed

In order to effectively conceal the scar tissue (which has minimal to no blood supply), hair follicles were incubated in autologous (the patient’s own) platelet rich plasma (PRP) throughout the duration of the procedure. This, combined with an ATP-containing storage solution has been shown to enhance survival of transplanted hairs in cicatricial (scarring) alopecia. Details of PRPs benefit in this context are described in this video of Dr. Wesley’s Grand Rounds Lecture.

Rather than a larger FUE punch used by a robotic approach, Dr. Wesley used a smaller caliber hand-held motorized punch to performed the donor harvest. This approach better enabled the capture of donor hair roots that are slightly curved beneath the skin surface. Upon completion of the harvest, the patient’s donor area was treated with PRP and ACell in order to not only minimize scar tissue formation, but also encourage partial regeneration of donor hair follicles.

The patient returned nine months after the FUE procedure and images of the patient can be seen below.Slide1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nicely work by Dr. Wesley. This is the primary reason I did not consider FUT. I just didn't want to have that linear scar. FUT provides great results but so does FUE with no visible scarring.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Nicely work by Dr. Wesley. This is the primary reason I did not consider FUT. I just didn't want to have that linear scar. FUT provides great results but so does FUE with no visible scarring.

I'm not so sure that's an FUT scar?

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I believe you are correct Ernie, I probably jumped immediately to that conclusion because when I see scars associated with transplants, I immediately think of FUT scars. Good catch..on your part.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think its important to note that there's no visible scaring for some patients. I've seen your case and your donor looks great. But I think your the exception, especially for as many grafts as you had.

Someone like me that has dark olive skin and dark hair is less likely to have that type of outcome.

I do think that your more likely to have a negative donor area outcome at reasonable lengths with strip, but its not very high either, and believe on someone like me, I could probably go only one grade shorter with fue, but would never be about to shave my head, because I'd have visible scaring with both.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website