Just Hairline Restoration with Diffuse thinning

Hello all!

I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while but I think I would finally like some advice as you are all a lot more knowledgeable than I am. I am diffuse thinning with NW 2.5 area hairline. I am currently on dutasteride and my shedding has stopped once and for all! My questions is that do you think it would be a good idea to just restore the hairline back to a NW1 and keep using toppik on the diffuse area behind(which basically masks my hair loss completely. Or should I just get one big transplant once I've thinned out more if the dutasteride starts losing some effectiveness. I have great donor hair but I would love my old hairline back for the time being while I wait and see what the Dut will do. I am considering using Dr. Keller in the Chicagoland area, after my consultation with him I feel very confident but I just wanted some advice since diffuse thinning can me a touchy obstacle to tackle. Thank you again!

image.jpg.f43fa6737f3c01fdb82d478966f89891.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.78dbf087aaf7e80e025cf7a04b1b40bd.jpeg

I don't think you need any work whatsoever and a transplant could harm what you already have.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Try and hang in there with the meds as your doing, as your hair is thicker in density than what most conservative docs shoot for already (50 gtafts/cm2).

I don't think a HT will make you any more happier.

But it never hurts to research the options when it bothers you. Reading and posting (venting) on the forum is a way to deal with it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's nice to have a place where I can actually talk to people about this. I know it's not a huge deal but it is an issue that sometimes is nice to converse with other who are suffering as well.

Do you have topik on in these pics?

I say it's a terrible idea. I can't think of anyone that should transplant to a NW1, and your hairline is already close to that. Any more aggressive than what you're at and it wouldn't be natural, especially if and when you thin further. Dut and fin cab give you years of stability, but its not something I would bet on transplanting lower that hairline is already at.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I do have just a little bit of Toppik, I love it because it really is like having my old hair back. I don't have a ton though and I'll be happy to continue using it as long as my hair stays where it's at. Just liked being able to push my front up with my temples being overly exposed. But I suppose that you are right to wait it out. Thank you for your reply!

Sound advice from all above! I don't see the value in pursuing hair transplant surgery at this time. Give the meds some time.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Please don't do a transplant, anything less than a norwood 2a or norwood 3 is typically deemed unethical use of donor by a scrupulous surgeon.

You're not near there yet.

The hairline you presently have is what most crave a restoration to become.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all!

I've been lurking on the forum for quite a while but I think I would finally like some advice as you are all a lot more knowledgeable than I am. I am diffuse thinning with NW 2.5 area hairline. I am currently on dutasteride and my shedding has stopped once and for all! My questions is that do you think it would be a good idea to just restore the hairline back to a NW1 and keep using toppik on the diffuse area behind(which basically masks my hair loss completely. Or should I just get one big transplant once I've thinned out more if the dutasteride starts losing some effectiveness. I have great donor hair but I would love my old hairline back for the time being while I wait and see what the Dut will do. I am considering using Dr. Keller in the Chicagoland area, after my consultation with him I feel very confident but I just wanted some advice since diffuse thinning can me a touchy obstacle to tackle. Thank you again!

I agree with the previous responses, your problem doesn't seem to be so huge that a transplantation is necessary in the near future :o Besides if you only started to take your medicals, maybe it's better to wait for the effect from them, it can be that it'll be enough for the solving your problem ;) And making a transplantation at the current moment can be even harmful for your scalp in general...:(

Also your hair seems ok on these photos, to tell the truth I don't see the vivid sign of the hair loss... But if you feel uncomfortable with some areas, you can just change you haircut a bit, here's http://machohairstyles.com/best-hairstyles-for-balding-men/ for example many nice ideas for such case :o

I like this one for example :)

Wavy-Blondie-Bangs-650x650.jpg

Hello all!

Stabilizing would be a better option to chasing subsequent hair loss in the areas behind a transplanted hairline. If you are happy with your current situation, you have options and resources to maintain for the future. Take time to monitor and document your progression with consistent photos before having surgery to treat the hairline. Research other options and alternatives to a hair transplant and get more than one opinion of course.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians