Losing hair 5 months post-op

Hey everyone,

I'm now 5 months post-op and everything was going well until I looked at the mirror today. I noticed that 2 weeks ago, my head had much more hair and was much fuller. I realized today that it's very patchy and looks extremely thin.

It seems that I've been losing a lot of hair these past 2 weeks (seems like native hair). Any idea why this is happening? Can it be shock loss at this stage or what? I look worse than I did pre-op although only 2 weeks ago, I was looking much better!

Even one side of the donor area (above the ear) is looking extremely thin. I had some shock loss in that area but it mostly recovered. However, now, it looks really bad. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Would appreciate the help, thanks.

Hey everyone,

I'm now 5 months post-op and everything was going well until I looked at the mirror today. I noticed that 2 weeks ago, my head had much more hair and was much fuller. I realized today that it's very patchy and looks extremely thin.

It seems that I've been losing a lot of hair these past 2 weeks (seems like native hair). Any idea why this is happening? Can it be shock loss at this stage or what? I look worse than I did pre-op although only 2 weeks ago, I was looking much better!

Even one side of the donor area (above the ear) is looking extremely thin. I had some shock loss in that area but it mostly recovered. However, now, it looks really bad. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Can I ask who performed your hair transplant and did that doctor also perform PRP the day before surgery?

Seriously, 5 months can still be too early to come to any conclusions. I had almost given up on my last HT & had begun shaving my head daily - was even considering getting a wig but the wig retailer told me I had to grow my hair a few cm's so he could colour match. I agreed to grow it out a little just for the purpose of buying a wig & low and behold I now have almost the appearance of a full head of hair. This was at the 8 month mark. The wait is very, very hard.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

I agree with the previous response, the process of transformations after the procedure will take time, rather often a long time...:( Of course there's a possibility that the procedure was unsucessful but that happens really rare in fact so I don't think that you should worry about this ;)

Also you can cover up your bald spots with a wig or simply keep your hair shaved for some time... The second idea is better from my own experience, I always felt uncomfortable when I tried to use a wig :P

Besides the shaved head style can look cool in many ways, like on these pics http://machohairstyles.com/best-shaved-head/ for example :) I kept such style like this guy during my restoration process and I can't say that it fit me so bad :D

Growing-Out-650x650.jpg

As long as you went with a reputable surgeon (recommended elite surgeon on HRN for example) and you have not been doing anything counterproductive to the grafts - sunburn, overusing Nizoral or other harsh ingredients on the scalp - you should be Ok and could be just the hair cycles balancing out.

If you answer no to the counterproductive points above and still experience diminished hair growth going forward, a scalp issue could be something to look into but not at this stage yet.

Take detailed pics and monitor it.

Are you on Fin btw?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)