How can you fuck up post-op?

When seeing a bad result, many people say that the patient could have fucked up after the operation. How exactly? Things aren't that complicated. Looking back, I don't remember the post-op days to be that much of a hassle.

Don't see it a lot recently but in the past some have gone skiing, played rugby/soccer or other aggressive activities during the first week post-op and gotten head injuries.

Speaking of skiing, some have also worn wool hats and then ended up pulling out the grafts when taking off the hat.

Also have seen some who have gotten bad sun burns early on.

Using harsh chemicals, shampoos, or alcohol based products is another one, along with some accidentally scratching the grafts while sleeping etc.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

^Interesting point about alcohol based products. Minox solution is 20% alcohol, so I'm unsure if alcohol based products will do a lot of damage.

Ways to screw up - sunburn, bumping, being aggressive with hair, infections, scalp conditions etc.

Minox solution is 20% alcohol, so I'm unsure if alcohol based products will do a lot of damage.

Products containing alcohol could dry out the grafts if used first couple of days post op, and after that minox with alcohol can irritate the scalp and worsen redness/flaking situation as well.

But I know some docs including Konior recommend it after a week or so.

Extreme sunburn can kill a good HT but yes a milder burn can cause discoloration or prolonged redness in recipient

Another common one mentioned by KO, scalp issues is a major one that we also see here from time to time.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

The way you wear the hat post op could affect it if you wear it tightly. Paranoid, but when the clinic tied the bandana on me, I could see the transplanted hairs sticking through it, like they poked through the bandana cloth. No bleeding or grafts found inside it though.

Using medicated shampoos and whatnot too early (I've seen will Rassman say harsh stuff is ok after 15 days, but a lot prefer you to wait longer)

Cleaning too vigorously, scrubbing or using too harsh of a stream of water (you can even achieve this with washing with a bowl or whatever).

Going to a metal concert the next day

Wearing a helmet, wig or too tight hat too early

Having unfortunate genetics

Rolling over in your sleep

Having the cat sleep on your head

Honestly I think it's mainly the grafts dying for reasons not fully understood. You're literally cutting something out of the body and putting it back in. Like scar tissue consuming or suffocating the graft

I thought the grafts were not damaged if they did not bleed. Which makes it only a semi-challenge before day 10 at most.

Bleeding is a sign early on post-op that you have lost or pulled out a graft.

But as we mentioned above, there are actually a myriad of ways one can f'up their HT.

Good for potential patients to keep them in mind to protect themselves and their investment.

go dense or go home