2050 Grafts by Dr. Meshkin

Hello All,

First I'd like to start by thanking this forum itself for being such an integral part of my research and decision making. The support from the patients and doctors on this forum is truly a fantastic thing.

So here's my story:

I have had two transplants so far, both by Dr. MEshkin. First one was in 2010 and I had 1300 grafts with amazing results that lasted for about 4 years, at which time my native hairs in between the transplanted hairs began to fall out. I was no on Propecia at the time, which I'm still beating myself up for.

Fast forward to yesterday in which I'm on my day 1 post op from a procedure than yielded 2050 grafts as seen in the pictures below. My experience with Dr. Meshkin went well, he was nice and professional. I noticed he would try and start some small talk me at the time of the numbing needles going in, which was the most painful part, so that I wouldn't feel the pain. :D HAHA nice try doc, I appreciated the effort but I still felt he pain. Recovery so far has been decent, sleeping the first night was rough but overall I'd say I'm happy with the results.

I wanted to do 3,000 grafts on my second one to ensure density, but the doctor mentioned that because of my first procedure it would be difficult to yield that many. I'm still unsure about his reasoning, as I've seen 4,000+ grafts in one procedure. This is where you all come in for opinions that I'd greatly appreciate. I know I'll need another one in the future if I want true density, but I have 2 main questions i'd like answered.

Question 1: Do you think with a total of 3,350 grafts placed in the frontal third portion of my head, I will be able to achieve above average density?

Question 2: Does it really look like 2,050 grafts were placed? I mean, I guess I can sit there and count somehow, but for those who are experienced, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I've included my pics from right before my second surgery and right after it as well.

I'd LOVE to hear some feedback fellas. Thanks!

5b32f0c4759b3_FrontPostopSecond1.thumb.jpg.0a664f6dcafb8210a59f184a7cc11c86.jpg

5b32f0c49ba60_FrontPostopSecond.thumb.jpg.2f49c8f216900bcb6d46290ed05d5fcd.jpg

5b32f0c4bae2f_PreSecondside.thumb.jpg.9f249795ed21005137fe4670ab3eb3d1.jpg

5b32f0c4cbdb9_PreSecondFront.thumb.jpg.87de85a877bd9b0affd68815657ddc1f.jpg

Over 3,000 grafts in the front should yield excellent results. It's hard to determine number of grafts but it sounds like your doctor was being honest regarding your yield. Looks like you may have good donor areas but really can't tell from the pictures. I happen to have what my doctor calls... "freak of nature..donor area". I've had over 7,000 grafts moved and have plenty donor for more if I want. Be patient and look forward to your front filling in. Keep in mind, the growth rate may be slower with your second surgery. Mine started growing much later after my second surgery (about 5-6 months). Best of luck and keep those pictures posted with updates for us.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

JOhnCasper- Thank you for your response. I too have relatively good donor density, and I'm sure I have at least 3,000 more grafts that I'll save for future procedures.

I will be posting as many pictures as possible for others to follow my journey, as the pictures others posted was vital for me in making the plunge.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANUKKAH, HAPPY KWANZAA, AND ANYTHING ELSE I MISSED TO MY FELLOW FOLLICALLY CHALLENGED FRIENDS!!!!

:D:D:D

Hey, thanks for posting on my thread. It does look like 2000 grafts but your pictures show that they have been placed in the mid scalp as well as the frontal region. I always think it's harder to gauge density when some of the hair is left long but looking a your pre op photos I think that 2000 grafts will give you the added density that you require.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Yeah I'd really like to know Meshkin's reasoning on cutting you down from 3000 grafts (which you clearly needed) to just 2000. Is he just insuring you come back for another transplant? Let's be honest a lot of doctors do that "get you on the hook".

I hope it turns out well though.

Yeah I'd really like to know Meshkin's reasoning on cutting you down from 3000 grafts (which you clearly needed) to just 2000. Is he just insuring you come back for another transplant? Let's be honest a lot of doctors do that "get you on the hook".

I hope it turns out well though.

I don't think he did it so that I would come back. He's just a conservative doctor which I can appreciate. Regardless, my crown is thinning so I'll need another one down the line and that's when I'll also pack the front again.

Currently on day 4 and healing nicely.

Pic below from today in direct sunlight. Let me know your thoughts. I think I'll need another 1k in the front to ensure density.

IMG_0672.thumb.jpg.c86c3cc1592d39b0bfedbc5d7ba02e0e.jpg

Be careful exposing your head to direct sunlight

Absolutely great tip Croatia, I only pop in the sunlight for a few seconds, snap the pic, and then go back to my dungeon lol.

Quick question if anyone reading knows. How soon before I can use Toppik? I was told 10 days should be fine in the recipient area, but that makes me a bit nervous? THoughts??

Incredible recovery for just 4 days, almost no redness already!

Recovery is going well, thanks. No pain, and the the grafts seem to be in good shape too. Although, I am not too pleased with the density.

I Really wish the grafts would have been packed closer together with less surface area. I outlined the area in red with what I should have had the doctor do, instead of spreading them back further.

Other picture is day 5 post op with low light. My previous transplanted hair, which was 1000 grafts, weren't shaven down completely for the surgery, just trimmed.

Let me know your thoughts, would be much appreciated.

5b32f0db0a1ea_Desiredarea1.thumb.jpg.84d6ba299c12f012dce40416a24ed682.jpg

5b32f0db28599_Day5Postopdarklight.thumb.jpg.9acad1180f151836ebb8ae2eede0ffea.jpg

Not much change, but I just want to document as much as possible for myself and others.

Very low light. I'll probably check in again after the NEW YEAR and after my first hair cut in a couple weeks.

Would love to hear your honest thoughts/feedback and I'm not a sensitive person at all ,so please don't beat around the bush if you think it was a poor job.

5b32f0e36ca46_IMG_08251.thumb.jpg.7b5824b3004da9f792510b38391ea753.jpg

5b32f0e386f52_IMG_08261.thumb.jpg.450caf48685eab65b34e897834f349b1.jpg

Not much change, but I just want to document as much as possible for myself and others.

Very low light. I'll probably check in again after the NEW YEAR and after my first hair cut in a couple weeks.

Would love to hear your honest thoughts/feedback and I'm not a sensitive person at all ,so please don't beat around the bush if you think it was a poor job.

Congrats on the procedure . Regardless of how many grafts , it is still MORE hair and that can't be a bad thing for people like us who need it .

I noticed you mentioned Toppik for concealment . It actually is not very effective at that short of a haircut (in the front) . I recently went through an FUE (Shapiro) and hair was buzzed short . I tried using toppik but it just falls on the scalp and creates unsightly black splotches . Dont believe for a second toppik reviews that claim it is just the method of application. IMO , it is all about hair length. You may be better served by cutting rest of of the hair a bit short to blend in a bit and then using something like dermmatch or one of those fill-in powders sold on amazon.

good luck w the recovery and growth

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats on the procedure . Regardless of how many grafts , it is still MORE hair and that can't be a bad thing for people like us who need it .

I noticed you mentioned Toppik for concealment . It actually is not very effective at that short of a haircut (in the front) . I recently went through an FUE (Shapiro) and hair was buzzed short . I tried using toppik but it just falls on the scalp and creates unsightly black splotches . Dont believe for a second toppik reviews that claim it is just the method of application. IMO , it is all about hair length. You may be better served by cutting rest of of the hair a bit short to blend in a bit and then using something like dermmatch or one of those fill-in powders sold on amazon.

good luck w the recovery and growth

Thanks for your comment. I plan on getting a haircut as soon as everything heals up (which i was told should be two weeks post op??)

The funny thing is I literally just ordered dermmatch last night in preparation for my recovery haha. Also, congrats on your 4th procedure, happy growing

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

First couple or indoor lighting and last one is outdoor. I still use a tad bit of toppik, but overall I'm very happy with the results. If I don't use any toppik, at night no one can tell, but during the day it's still a little thin.

Highly recommend doing this procedure for those who are on the fence, just research a good doctor and you'll be fine.

Peace and love to all.

5b32f499f3aa4_unnamed(2).jpg.1a104caac74da2b407529d56676c388e.jpg

5b32f49a1485a_unnamed(3).jpg.cad97bf913f564b3f09d4e4d5c7abc47.jpg

5b32f49a2c202_unnamed(4).thumb.jpg.dec175a1fb13fcaf682111847bdb5123.jpg