Can Toppik cause infection?

So I have folliculitis it would seem. My doctor put me on Doxycycline for 15 days. I'm only on day 2. I got 1,500 grafts on the top and crown 2 months ago and the bumps are painful and obvious.

I am desperately trying to keep this a secret and have been wearing a hat to work which causes enough suspicion but also use Toppik to cover the balding area and now folliculitis.

I guess my main question is, can the Toppik cause the infection and will using it make it harder to get rid of? I've hidden my balding area for a long time and don't know if I could handle it getting out.

:/ It's been a rough couple months.

Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hockeyguy,

Thanks for posting and asking your question. The only detail that appears missing from the above post (unless I missed it somehow) is how soon after surgery you started using Toppik. Toppik shouldn't cause any type of problem or infection if you use it a week or more after surgery. But if you are using it on your scalp the first day or two after surgery when wounds are fresh, the material will likely get into the wound and it could cause infection. So as much as I would love to give you a yes or not answer, the answer to your question is, it depends on how soon after surgery you started using Toppik.

Best wishes,

Bill

It was 1 week from the date of the surgery. The bumps didn't appear until almost 1 month later.

My bigger concern is treating it with the antibiotic while using the toppik. No open wounds, just bumps, pimples, ingrown hairs... whatever they are.

Thanks!

I have no expertise when it comes to toppik, but a clean healthy scalp will produce the best possible results. Potentially fumbling the results to spare yourself the embarrassment for a few months seems a bit foolish to me. These results are meant to last the whole rest of your life

Look into natural treatment too. Tea tree and coconut oil are great for keeping a clean healthy scalp.

Best of luck!

So I have folliculitis it would seem. My doctor put me on Doxycycline for 15 days. I'm only on day 2. I got 1,500 grafts on the top and crown 2 months ago and the bumps are painful and obvious.

I am desperately trying to keep this a secret and have been wearing a hat to work which causes enough suspicion but also use Toppik to cover the balding area and now folliculitis.

I guess my main question is, can the Toppik cause the infection and will using it make it harder to get rid of? I've hidden my balding area for a long time and don't know if I could handle it getting out.

:/ It's been a rough couple months.

Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maintenance and proper post-op care are crucial to minimizing the risk of infection during the immediate post-op period.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have no expertise when it comes to toppik, but a clean healthy scalp will produce the best possible results. Potentially fumbling the results to spare yourself the embarrassment for a few months seems a bit foolish to me. These results are meant to last the whole rest of your life

Look into natural treatment too. Tea tree and coconut oil are great for keeping a clean healthy scalp.

Best of luck!

Toppik should be used as the scalp continues to be well-maintained and closely attended.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

YouOnlyLiveOnce It's more than just a little embarrassment to me. I'm a performer. Of course I don't want to ruin the transplant but that's why I asked. Is it safe.

MrGio What do you mean exactly? Wait til the folliculitis heals or continue as is?

Speaking as a person with probably the most sensitive skin on here.. I'll say this:

The brand you choose matters! Toppikk has actually been good to me, in comparison to an ebay knock off brand. I don't think I've ever had "infection" but irritation... hell yea! It's annoying, but it comes and goes and I haven't stopped. Also, I think either my skin's building up a tolerance or I'm applying better because it happens less frequently these days.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

YouOnlyLiveOnce It's more than just a little embarrassment to me. I'm a performer. Of course I don't want to ruin the transplant but that's why I asked. Is it safe.

MrGio What do you mean exactly? Wait til the folliculitis heals or continue as is?

Folliculitis is the result of an infected hair follicle. If you're looking for a yes or no answer, I don't think you're gonna find it. After have gone through major trauma, your scalp is still and will be healing for the foreseeable feature. This might result in it become irritated, inflamed, infected etc. by things that normally wouldnt bother it. Having bumps that looks like pimples or signs of folliculitis isn't uncommon at your stage of growth. In fact, I'd say its quite common. Most of the time it comes and goes like any other pimple. You've gotta gauge the severity and determine what steps are necessary to treat it. If left untreated or not treated properly it can mean serious business ( your body will destroy the follicles trying to fight off the bacteria). That my friend, is the last thing you want. None of this is meant to to be alarming, but I think a lot of us go into hair transplantation somewhat naive on the complexity of the process.

My *real* advice ( as in what I would do if I were you )

First contact your HT doctor and explain everything like you have here. He can address this situation better than any of us.

As far as Toppik goes. I'd continue using it, but making sure that you clean it off as soon as you can. Doxy will generally clear things up quickly. If in a week things haven't gotten better then deff stop using it and anything else that might irritate your scalp. Lastly, as I said it above, I HIGHLY recommend tea tree oil

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you try the HairMax product that Dr. Charles mentioned? Maybe ask your doctor about it providing he does not see any issue of using a fiber concealer.

Hope things clear up soon my friend.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I was looking for it locally. Walmart carries it but unfortunately not in my hair color. I was checking other local Walmarts and all the same.

May have to order online but was hoping to avoid that. I'm a paranoid online shopper.

Thanks. I'll talk to the doc Friday. This is my third transplant (others were many years ago) and this is the first bout of this. Ugh.

Hopefully his office has a brand I can get there. That would be nice.

I'd wait until you see your doc before trying anything. I know that there are different kinds of antibiotics and maybe he will prescribe more or a different kind. If all else fails, get another opinion from a different surgeon or a dermatologist.

Saw the doc today. Round two of antibiotics. Apparently the hairs were not falling out and were getting trapped and caused the infection. He cleared those hairs out. Hopefully I move on from here.

Thanks, all.

That's good to hear...wish you the best and let us know how things progress for you...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

So at almost 12 weeks I have to go through the scabs thing again. Kinda sucks but hoping it gets me closer to what SHOULD be the fun stage of three months and waiting and watching growth.

I can't wait for say 3 months from now when decent growth is in and all of this is just a crappy memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Scabs are pretty much gone. Infection seems to be behind me as well. Just slightly red in spots. I hit my 3 month mark in 2 days so I'm looking forward to seeing signs of growth. Fingers crossed I'm not a late bloomer! Had a feeling I wouldn't be the lucky early sprouters. lol

image1_zpsuor74acs.jpg

The scalp looks much more healthier. Thanks for sharing.

Without question, the area looks so much better!...:cool:

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...