Odds of chronic headache or chronic numbness after HT

Here and there I come across one or two complaints of chronic headache and/or chronic numbness after a HT procedure. Is this a possibility? What are the odds of such things? If so what triggers these? And how much does a choice of good surgeon impact such post-op issues? Or is this all entirely patient dependent?

In my post-op literature for fut it says that a person can experience some numbness or tingling in the scalp for up to 18 months. The nerves affect by the procedure will grow back in the 3-18 month timeline and the scalp may itch or tingle as the nerves grow.

Now for that happening permenantly, I am not sure what the odds are.

Are you speaking in terms of FUE or Strip? I experienced mild tingling/irritation in the donor area after my FUE for around a month or so, but it wasn't anything serious or particularly troubling. It was due to nerve irritation, and wasn't cause for longterm concern. This would be more of a concern for patients undergoing strip, but I can't speak to the statistics of the likelihood of that happening. (I would still say it's very minimal.)

As for the headaches, personally, I have never heard of anyone experiencing this - and especially not on a longterm/chronic basis. This isn't something we forewarn our patients about either. Not sure if that helps answer your question except to say that if it is something to be concerned about, the instances would be extremely rare.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I think "lingering" numbness (with FUT) or pain (both FUT and FUE) may be possible in the short term which eventually goes away.

There are no guarantees with HT's but the risk of "chronic" issues is low if you go with a reputable surgeon I believe. I wouldn't let it keep you from having a procedure.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Here and there I come across one or two complaints of chronic headache and/or chronic numbness after a HT procedure. Is this a possibility? What are the odds of such things? If so what triggers these? And how much does a choice of good surgeon impact such post-op issues? Or is this all entirely patient dependent?

Oh these things are likely after the procedure for a few months but for some folks it can be permanent. No one can really give odds on these things because many doctors do not reveal the number of cases of theirs this has happened to. Some Docs and reps/experts can blame a patients physiology for it or it could be the surgical protocol of the doc that caused the condition. Nerves cut wrong or scalp too tight or excessive bleeding and etc, anything can be a factor.

Depends on what type of procedure you go for and the doc you go to for that specific procedure. If a doc is good at FUT and hasn't reported many screw ups online then Maybe the probability is better but again no guarantee. Same goes for a doc that does FUE, his or her surgical protocol should be all about patient safety.

I'd take a look at real patients that have no treatment incentives or financial incentives and see them in person. No patients getting future freebies or discounts or online posting perks or anything or reps to sway your decision. This is a very serious procedure and you have to do very solid research. See if you can meet real patients that are willing to meet in person.

Do not risk yourself with a doc that is unsure if they will be able to deliver or lack confidence.

Oh these things are likely after the procedure for a few months but for some folks it can be permanent. No one can really give odds on these things because many doctors do not reveal the number of cases of theirs this has happened to. Some Docs and reps/experts can blame a patients physiology for it or it could be the surgical protocol of the doc that caused the condition. Nerves cut wrong or scalp too tight or excessive bleeding and etc, anything can be a factor.

Depends on what type of procedure you go for and the doc you go to for that specific procedure. If a doc is good at FUT and hasn't reported many screw ups online then Maybe the probability is better but again no guarantee. Same goes for a doc that does FUE, his or her surgical protocol should be all about patient safety.

I'd take a look at real patients that have no treatment incentives or financial incentives and see them in person. No patients getting future freebies or discounts or online posting perks or anything or reps to sway your decision. This is a very serious procedure and you have to do very solid research. See if you can meet real patients that are willing to meet in person.

Do not risk yourself with a doc that is unsure if they will be able to deliver or lack confidence.

What would the chances of something like that be at one of the top 5 doctors? Is that still a concern and suppressed even at such top clinics?

XT,

Having performed many HTs now and consulted with many post-HT patients, I agree with the consensus here that there can be temporary aberrations, but I have not really seen anything "permanent." And by this, I mean anything still occurring when I see my patients at 12 months for follow-up, or when I consult with patients who have had HTs done elsewhere at sometime in the past.

I do see a temporary "numbness" or "tingling" or "strange feelings to touch" in FUT patients. And I see diffuse, annoying "sharp" or "pinching" pains in FUE patients (and I have seen these last for a while), but both temporary.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

As a general rule of thumb, peripheral nerve injuries heal while central nerve injuries may never heal. In HT, only peripheral nerves should be affected, so any numbness/paresthesia/neurogenic pain should go away with time as the nerves heal/regrow.

The best example is that MANY people will injure their sural nerve and develop numbness in their feet as a consequence. This almost always fully recovers with time.

What would the chances of something like that be at one of the top 5 doctors? Is that still a concern and suppressed even at such top clinics?

I think you will have somewhat of an answer if you request the surgical consent forms from each of those five doctors and see if anywhere it says permanent numbness can occur and you have to initial such an item or Emil them to see if it is a possibility. If they have that clause on their paperwork then it may even be a concern at a top notch clinic.

I've actually spoken to a few folks that still have some tingling/pains or numbness 2+ years on. Not many, but there are some. Also know someone that had had issues 5 + years and needs some special creams to reduce some pain. But temporary numbness does exist and may last a few months in general.

What's your hair loss pattern like? Are you trying to cover the entire top of head or is the hair loss in a certain area?