Finastride and problems with sleep?

Gatsu

Hey!

So i've been on finastride (accord) 2 months now. 1mg ED.

Sides for me has been the classic pain in the balls (not to bad though), oily forehead and scalp and then dry forehead. those sides have stopt. No sexual sides at all.

What i have been noticing the last two weeks is that i have a really hard time falling asleep. i can lay in bed 2-3 hours before i fall asleep and when i do its not the best sleep in the world ether, i wake up midnight and struggling falling asleep again. I will still give it the benefit of the doubt than it can be other factors playing in. Its just that i feels like i have taken caffeine or something just before i went to bed, my eyes are wide open and i just feel that i wont be able to sleep.

My question is, if its the finastride doing it, can it go away/be better in time if i continue the treatment, or will i be stuck with sleeping problems if i continue taking it ?

Hi Gatsu,

I am one who also suffers from poor sleep while on Fin.

I've been on and off the drug a few times, and my sleep is always so much better when off of it.

Most recently I've been trying with lower doses spaced out over more days, most recently 2x week.

In addition I use melatonin when I'm having trouble falling asleep.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I do believe there is a connection with both Fin & Min & with finding it hard to go to sleep or disturbed sleep. I had the same problem but think I worked something where I took Fin just minutes before I lay my head down, as for Min I just used it in the mornings instead of night. My problems with sleep all be it not perfect but never was but definitely helped me.

Edited by ontop

Yeah I had trouble sleeping while I was on fin too... I was also sleeping on a bed of nails at the time so I switched to a normal mattress and the problem resolved :)

Take away here. I enjoy sarcasm and I doubt that finasteride interfered with your ability to sleep.

Not so fast brah, insomnia is specifically mentioned in some of the recent lawsuits against Merck.

I'm glad you don't experience this nasty side effect and consider yourself lucky, but some of us actual do experience this.

Lawsuits have been filed against Merck & Co. alleging serious Propecia side effects including Propecia sexual dysfunction and other Propecia side effects in men. Among allegations in the most recent Propecia lawsuit are that Propecia (Finasteride) can cause anxiety attacks and insomnia.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Yeah I had trouble sleeping while I was on fin too... I was also sleeping on a bed of nails at the time so I switched to a normal mattress and the problem resolved :)

Take away here. I enjoy sarcasm and I doubt that finasteride interfered with your ability to sleep.

As i said before im not jumping to conclusions but i know my body very well sense I've been an athlete a bigger part of my life. I have also read about this side effect .

I will give it more time but if im still having these problems a month from now i will have to start trying other things like taking it at night instead of day or lowering the dose..

Insomnia is a recognized side effect of Finastride.

When I was on the drug I completely lost the ability to sleep that was like pure torture.

Post-Finasteride Syndrome

Table 1: Reported symptoms of Post-Finasteride Syndrome1

Sexual Symptoms Physical Symptoms Mental and Neurological Symptoms Decreased or complete loss of sex drive Female-like breast development and enlargement Severe memory/recall impairment Erectile dysfunction, impotence Chronic fatigue, listlessness Slowed thought processes Loss of morning and spontaneous erections Muscle atrophy, weakness Impaired problem solving, decreased comprehension Sexual anhedonia, loss of pleasurable orgasm Decreased oil and sebum production Depression Decreased semen volume and force Chronically dry, thinning of skin Anxiety Penile shrinkage and numbness Melasma Suicidal ideation Peyronie’s disease Tinnitus Emotional flatness and anhedonia Scrotal shrinkage and numbness Increased fat deposition, obesity and elevated body mass index Insomnia Decrease in body temperature Reduced HDL cholesterol, raised fasting glucose and triglycerides Attempted suicide Completed suicide

In all the years I've spoken with patients on finasterdie I've not come across this one as a side effect. Ive been on it 16 years and never experienced this.

You describe exact same situ my wife is experiencing at the moment ( she's not on finasterdie ) Possible other stuff going on in your life thats making your mind alert.

Best

Spex

Says the man who is involved in selling finasterdie...

Sleep problems with finasteride are very common. You would want to be blind not to see it.

So im managing to fall asleep after a while but the hard part is that i wake up a lot during the nigh, im dreaming a lot and feeling that im not entering REM-sleep at all, Its ruff because im so tired in the morning and during the day.

further to my case is that i I have sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP (sleeping machine) the last couple of years witch have improve my sleep immensely, for the first time in my life i felt really rested when i woke up and had no problems getting up in the morning, it made my life so much easier.

Now i actually feel like the days i had sleep apnea without the CPAP, waking up during the night, sleeping 8-10 hours but never feel rested, almost sleeping siting down during work because of lack of REM-sleep and constantly tired.

Im lucky that im not suffering any other side effect but this is a tuff one.....

Lack of sleep can drive you crazy, I know.

You have three choices it seems, stick with it at the same dosage and see if things improve, try to reduce your dosage/frequency, or quit cold turkey.

Since you recently started I would give it some more time and see how things go.

Did you try any sleep aids like melatonin? Also I take Fin in the mornings so as to never end up taking it right before bed.

go dense or go home

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Guy with no bias opinion of Finistaride here.

I've never had this side effect nor heard of it, but might not be in coincidence. Could be a reaction do to a specific chemical balance in your body and it's reaction.. But that's me trying to be smart.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend checking with a few physicians.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

Says the man who is involved in selling finasterdie...

Sleep problems with finasteride are very common. You would want to be blind not to see it.

I am on fiinastiride for 7-8 months. I had sleeping issues from months 3-5 while o the drug. I thought the same thing that fin was causing my sleep issues. Turns out it wasn't.

Around the 3rd month I was reading stories online about how evil fin is and it scared me shitless. That combined with the loss of my grandparent, I was depressed. 3 months after I found my sleep again. I still have sleep issues sometimes but I think that's with my depression and anxiety.

I would recomend getting on ZMA, melatonin, and L-Arginine. (srs)

Sleep issues are more rare than ED issues. and if you do get sleep issues it could be to due anxiety of the drug fin (reading stories online)

• 3 weeks later...

I just started fin on a 0.2mg dosage and was unable to sleep again. Happened to me a few months ago but wanted to give another try.

Really strange as I was taking fin for about 3 months a few years ago but stopped then due to libido issues. I guess I am one of the ones that fin doesn't agree with.

I just started fin on a 0.2mg dosage and was unable to sleep again. Happened to me a few months ago but wanted to give another try.

Really strange as I was taking fin for about 3 months a few years ago but stopped then due to libido issues. I guess I am one of the ones that fin doesn't agree with.

Hey Bro.

I actually lowered the does from 1mg ED to 0.5mg monday-friday , weekends off. I noticed that my sides has retracted. Morning wood is back, Libido is up and im sleeping better.

Hope it's a dose that works in the long run..

Hey Bro.

I actually lowered the does from 1mg ED to 0.5mg monday-friday , weekends off. I noticed that my sides has retracted. Morning wood is back, Libido is up and im sleeping better.

Hope it's a dose that works in the long run..

That's good, glad you've found a solution. I was hoping to achieve the same on 0.2mg, which as you know is an extremely low dose.

Looking at the range of side effects on this drug; doesn't surprise me at all that insomnia happens. If it can cause anxiety, then it can definitely affect sleep. All related.

Can I ask what brand of fin you're using? I'm using Fincar on this occasion.

That's good, glad you've found a solution. I was hoping to achieve the same on 0.2mg, which as you know is an extremely low dose.

Looking at the range of side effects on this drug; doesn't surprise me at all that insomnia happens. If it can cause anxiety, then it can definitely affect sleep. All related.

Can I ask what brand of fin you're using? I'm using Fincar on this occasion.

yea, im hoping i will be able to replace it with something less harmful in the near future (as does everybody else) .

Sure., im using Accord .

If it's working for you and you are not experiencing any major sides other than sleep, don't forget to try melatonin and ear plugs also help to get a restful night sleep too. 3M yellow earplugs are my favorite lol.

go dense or go home

If it's working for you and you are not experiencing any major sides other than sleep, don't forget to try melatonin and ear plugs also help to get a restful night sleep too. 3M yellow earplugs are my favorite lol.

Thank you!

Unfortunately i started experienced ED and low libido.

I got my morning wood back now but dont know if my Libido is 100% . Still feel that im having a harder time getting it up and sometimes its not as hard as it suppose to be. But all that can be mentally aswell. i will give it some time and probably lower more if i need to.

Sorry to hear that man, it sometimes suddenly creeps up on you. My last attempt it hit me somewhat at the 4 month mark.

I'm currently on .625mg (1/8th Proscar) 2x week, and my sexual sides are minimal now but it's only been close to 3 months.

Sleep is "ok" and also experienced the first initial shed (sheds always suck) after restarting, but trying to stay on it as long as possible this time.

Btw, I read about your second procedure with Dr. Keser in another thread, how are things going?

His work intrigues me due to the high density but can't find many published results.

go dense or go home

Sorry to hear that man, it sometimes suddenly creeps up on you. My last attempt it hit me somewhat at the 4 month mark.

I'm currently on .625mg (1/8th Proscar) 2x week, and my sexual sides are minimal now but it's only been close to 3 months.

Sleep is "ok" and also experienced the first initial shed (sheds always suck) after restarting, but trying to stay on it as long as possible this time.

Btw, I read about your second procedure with Dr. Keser in another thread, how are things going?

His work intrigues me due to the high density but can't find many published results.

I posted an update on the thread but here are the lates pictures with the first 5 in very strong light.

20161123_113555.thumb.jpg.7cf44730ca3275d2f30631688b28d3b4.jpg

20161123_113601.thumb.jpg.8cbe85484cffe2dbbad21c99049b879c.jpg

20161123_113738.thumb.jpg.43be44fd1d450618d12a7902dc33cfc5.jpg

20161123_113923.thumb.jpg.9bd4e9d73ef041bfc3a58f354b531886.jpg

20161123_113951.thumb.jpg.5303648b6014f618e3a207550c6cb601.jpg

20161123_130117.thumb.jpg.515576142b23044576a6843d6ef58072.jpg