do you HAVE to shave recipient area?

Hi Everyone,

Dr. Rahal says that for my procedure he will shave down the recipient area, which is about the from 1/4 of my head. Right now I have enough hair there, and enough practice with Toppik, that I can make it look pretty good - I've never had anyone say anything to me. Anyway, needing to shave that area is what scares me the most about the procedure because I just can't see how I would cover it up without looking something like Donald Trump and people would notice an obvious and odd change in hairstyle.

Do you think I could request specifically to not shave? I'm sure it probably makes it a little tougher on the doc. I just would like to be able to, after several weeks, be able to use Toppik on the native hair to cover up.

Good luck with Rahal a doctor who packs tons of plugs in a square centimeter with guys complaining of serious shock loss a year later. Just look at their galleries a year later. There are better more qualified doctors in the industry. Dont be a victim brother. Good luck.

Hi I'm also currently looking into long-hair or non shaven FUE for any future touchups required.

I think the risk is there with non-shaven, but it depends on the doctor and techniques used.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I had a non-shave and really appreciated the ease of the procedure.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Good luck with Rahal a doctor who packs tons of plugs in a square centimeter with guys complaining of serious shock loss a year later. Just look at their galleries a year later. There are better more qualified doctors in the industry. Dont be a victim brother. Good luck.

Really???

Shockloss is temporary and you have it going on 1 year later? Not sure I'm buying or believing that. And just for the record, Dr Rahal is one of the most respected in the business.... and it's not " plugs " it's follicular units.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Well this is laughable

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Yeah I'm not going to listen to that haha I've seen and talked to quite a few Rahal patients who are very pleased years after.

@Ernie/newhair - I've followed your results and both look awesome! Do you think Dr. Rahal would not do the surgery if I requested to not shave the recipient area? It's not a lot of hair there, but enough that Toppik is certainly effective and would really help me get back to work/be social during the recovery period. The way I see it is that it at least gives the chance of being able to cover it up, if the hair gets shocked out anyway, than nothing you can do, but at least there's the chance.

Yeah I'm not going to listen to that haha I've seen and talked to quite a few Rahal patients who are very pleased years after.

@Ernie/newhair - I've followed your results and both look awesome! Do you think Dr. Rahal would not do the surgery if I requested to not shave the recipient area? It's not a lot of hair there, but enough that Toppik is certainly effective and would really help me get back to work/be social during the recovery period. The way I see it is that it at least gives the chance of being able to cover it up, if the hair gets shocked out anyway, than nothing you can do, but at least there's the chance.

I sure don't wanna speak for Dr Rahal but I'm almost certain he's gonna want you to shave. I was nervous about is as well but then a calm just came over me there and I have my whole head shaved. It's so much easier to take care of, to clean, etc.... and it will all grow out at the same time. Personally I think a shave is the way to go but I know it can be scary!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Rahal will make you shave recipient area, no exceptions

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Well I guess that answers that, at least as far as Dr. Rahal is concerned. Thanks for the article Spex, that's really great and honestly what I would love to do, but I also don't want to sacrifice the ultimate outcome of the procedure in any way.

With all that said, does anyone think it is truly possibly to cover up with the hair behind if you are having your hairline done? I can't decide if I'd rather possibly look a little silly trying to cover up in the front, or make sure that everyone knows by shaving down and letting the scar show in the back :(