I think my styling gel is causing itchy scalp

For a while now I have been using a styling gel that I think makes my scalp dry and itch. It has worked well for me but the itchiness and redness of scalp wont go away. Recently I read about the many toxic chemicals these gels possess. Would someone here suggest a gel that contains natural ingredients without the nasty chemicals than can cause this itchy and redness symptom?

Have you tried discontinuing use of the styling gel for a number of days or weeks? Have you ever noticed any flaking or bleeding? You could try aloe vera styling gel as an alternative to your current styling gel.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have noticed itching when I use toppik, but I found if I don't use the spray it isn't as bad. I think the toppik irritates the skin which is worrying because irritation may cause more hair to fall out. So the styling gel you are using may be doing the same thing. I would not be sure your itching is due to chemicals or toxins. Just clogging.

I have noticed itching when I use toppik, but I found if I don't use the spray it isn't as bad. I think the toppik irritates the skin which is worrying because irritation may cause more hair to fall out. So the styling gel you are using may be doing the same thing. I would not be sure your itching is due to chemicals or toxins. Just clogging.

Appreciate the followups. In fact I did not know such gels can cause hair loss. This is troublesome news to read. What do you suggest would be a reasonable gel to use?

If you read the ingredients on your gel product, you will probably find that it has numerous alcohol based additives which can cause itchiness, dryness, redness, etc.

Probably the best thing to do is to go to a styling supply retailer like Sally's who can recommend several herbal based gel products to use.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you read the ingredients on your gel product, you will probably find that it has numerous alcohol based additives which can cause itchiness, dryness, redness, etc.

Probably the best thing to do is to go to a styling supply retailer like Sally's who can recommend several herbal based gel products to use.

Yes you're right. I'll do that right away.

• 2 weeks later...

If I use a gel product I will try to make sure as little of it goes directly on my scalp. I get less itchiness that way and my hair doesn't look so glued down. I'm going to try wax next. I have read that others use it on this website and will give it a go.

I have had better luck with wax in the past too. That was back when I had more hair in the front to wax! I want to try to toppik but worried it will cause inflamation in the scalp and make my hair loss worse. What kind of wax do you use Runner?

Azdz, I haven't tried any wax yet, just saw a can of it at the drug store and thought I might give it a try. My feeling is that it will be thicker and make the hairs look thicker and more managable. Toppik is inflammatory. My scalp always itches after using it so be careful. In the areas that I use it I'm not worried about more hair loss so I use it there, but thicker areas I would have concerns. Have you heard of Kabooki fibers? It's like toppik but may not be as inflammatory.

I liked the wax better. It doesn't make the hair stick together as much so it doesnt look thinner like with gel. I'm scratching toppik off the list then. I don't want to risk adding more inflamation in the scalp. Have not heard of kabooki fibers. Are they differ than toppik? Safe to use after transplant?

I don't think they are different than toppik, probably a generic competitor but it may have less inflammation just because it's different. Another thing is the spray that comes with toppic. I think its just hair spray so it has alcohol which definitely drys out the scalp. I don't know about use after a hair transplant. Are you going to get a hair transplant ? Never thought I would do one but its begining to look like thats where I'm headed (no puning, ha ha)

I will have to read more about kabooki before trying them. I am still really worried about the inflamation thing. I think it does play a role in hair loss. I am just starting to look into a transplant now. I think I would be a good candidate based on what I see on the different forums. Did not think I would get one either but here we are!