Last haircut before HT?

I want to get my hair cut but I have my HT in exactly 4 weeks. Guidance from ASMED is that my hair should be at least 0.5 cm long. I normally have the sides and the back cut with a clippers on a grade 1 and 2. If I leave cutting it to this weekend, will I be risking it cutting the donor area down to grade 1, just 3 1/2 weeks before?

Are you going to shave the recipient area for the procedure?

If not a "Mohawk" type cut with the sides and back cut shorter is one option before FUE, but check with your clinic first.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Best bet-call your doctor and ask them exactly how long they would like your hair to be on the big day.

Louisjams, I already have the guidance from ASMED which is the hair should be 0.5 cm long, what I'm not sure about it was that translates into in real life? i.e is that grade 2 with the clippers etc? Anyway, I think Dr Charles is prob right, plus my hair grows fairly quick. I was just worrying a little.

Are you going to shave the recipient area for the procedure?

If not a "Mohawk" type cut with the sides and back cut shorter is one option before FUE, but check with your clinic first.

I'll be shaving it all. Not offence to those that keep bits of longer hair, but I think it looks ridiculous so it'll be all cut very short (whatever the clinic suggest) and then I'll grow it out from there and then hopefully shave the sides and back a few weeks post-surgery to create a bit more shape/style... speaking of which. Does anyone know how soon post surgery can I get the back (donor area) and sides shaved? I think some clinics recommend not using clippers for months which seems extreme. I did think I could get them to hand cut it rather than actual clippers to minimize any possible trauma.

Louisjams, I already have the guidance from ASMED which is the hair should be 0.5 cm long, what I'm not sure about it was that translates into in real life? i.e is that grade 2 with the clippers etc? Anyway, I think Dr Charles is prob right, plus my hair grows fairly quick. I was just worrying a little.

I'll be shaving it all. Not offence to those that keep bits of longer hair, but I think it looks ridiculous so it'll be all cut very short (whatever the clinic suggest) and then I'll grow it out from there and then hopefully shave the sides and back a few weeks post-surgery to create a bit more shape/style... speaking of which. Does anyone know how soon post surgery can I get the back (donor area) and sides shaved? I think some clinics recommend not using clippers for months which seems extreme. I did think I could get them to hand cut it rather than actual clippers to minimize any possible trauma.

In general, the donor area will be shaved extremely short, so you shouldn't even be in need of a haircut for a couple weeks (depending on how short you ultimately like to keep it). Even still, the donor area isn't an issue when it comes to being careful when getting your hair cut. It heals very quickly and there's no potential damage that can be caused to it. The area you'll need to be most concerned about post-op is the recipient area, and those grafts will be secure in 2 weeks.

As for when you can take clippers to the recipient area, this is something I would run by your doctor. The guidelines for this vary considerably depending on your surgeon. I've seen surgeons recommend waiting 6 months (which I think is way too conservative), some will say a couple months, and some even shorter. Personally, I buzzed mine (very carefully and with a guard/cover) after a couple weeks. My goal was to keep my entire head the same length and quite short for the duration of the regrowth period, so that once the new hairs started growing in, they would all grow in evenly.

Depending on how short you like to keep your hair on the side, I want to point out that there's a chance (for the first year especially while your donor density recovers) that you won't be able to go as short in the future without the tiny FUE dots/less density in the donor area being noticeable. This is something to keep in mind.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56