BBC article about hair transplant in Turkey

Very interesting, and I see our discussion forum in the background of the picture. Glad to see this guy has been doing his research? Is this you? Maybe I missed it but it wasn't real clear on who the surgeon was that was selected. Also, while Turkey seems to be a popular place for hair transplant surgery, it is also well-known that many clinics employee technicians to do 99% if not 100% of the work while the surgeon is there for supervision only. Some of the surgeons don't even check in during the procedure so that's a bit scary.

So tell us more about this article, is this you? If so, who was your doctor, how many grafts did you get and tell us more about your experience.

Bill

Hi, no this isn't me. I know better than to go for a doctor who hasn't been pre screened by the hair transplant network!

I googled "medistate" which is shown on a building and found out the surgeon is a Doctor Tayfun Oguzoglu. Never heard of him before and as you said, a lot of low cost FUE clinic in Turkey are technician led, which is risky.

I am yet to have a FUE procedure, but when I do, I'm sure that I will choose Dr Lorenzo.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Good article and its interesting that Istanbul has so many clinics for this treatment!

I personally have been put off travelling to Turkey due to all the violence in recent weeks but it comes down to personal choice and circumstances.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

The BBC chose us for their documentary, which you will see regular updates on (at least this is what we are told).

They have interviewed our patient Chris B. and he is sending photos over on regular basis.

Unlike many clinics in Turkey, in our operations, majority of the work, extraction and opening the channels are done by our surgeon Dr. Tayfun Oguzoglu.

It's very unfortunate to see so many so-called hair clinics are opening almost everyday and young and unqualified staff performing the entire operation.

We stand up against those clinics and try providing enough information to help patients understand the difference.

Thank you,

Hello,

The BBC chose us for their documentary, which you will see regular updates on (at least this is what we are told).

They have interviewed our patient Chris B. and he is sending photos over on regular basis.

Unlike many clinics in Turkey, in our operations, majority of the work, extraction and opening the channels are done by our surgeon Dr. Tayfun Oguzoglu.

It's very unfortunate to see so many so-called hair clinics are opening almost everyday and young and unqualified staff performing the entire operation.

We stand up against those clinics and try providing enough information to help patients understand the difference.

Thank you,

It's a shame the BBC didn't do this report anonymously. I won't be able to trust the outcome of any result considering the clinic was given advanced notice of the surgery. It's not an objective result.

I remember an Italian patient I met was at the clinic for repair. He had his first surgery in Turkey (not a recommended doctor). Lucky for him unlike alot of patients that had surgery in Turkey he was able to be repaired. Biggest issue with repairing these patients is that the donor is destroyed and there is no donor left. Some receive up 5000 grafts for one price but either the grafts didnt grow or it is very unnatural.

So when I met him I asked him where he went and which doctor. He told me a funny but scary story. During his surgery there was a tech that spoke italian (lived in Rome for two years he said) and he started a converstation with her. He asked her how long have you been working at the clinic. She said truthfully I started today. She explained she was with a friend having coffee and a man approached her and asked her if she wanted a job. They took her to the clinic and trained her for about 30-45 minutes and had her perform surgery with another tech using a motorized handheld FUE remover. She said she was leaving at the end of the day because she has no idea what she is doing and if I remember correctly was getting paid about 1-2 euros an hour. Again this is what the patient told me.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I remember an Italian patient I met was at the clinic for repair. He had his first surgery in Turkey (not a recommended doctor). Lucky for him unlike alot of patients that had surgery in Turkey he was able to be repaired. Biggest issue with repairing these patients is that the donor is destroyed and there is no donor left. Some receive up 5000 grafts for one price but either the grafts didnt grow or it is very unnatural.

So when I met him I asked him where he went and which doctor. He told me a funny but scary story. During his surgery there was a tech that spoke italian (lived in Rome for two years he said) and he started a converstation with her. He asked her how long have you been working at the clinic. She said truthfully I started today. She explained she was with a friend having coffee and a man approached her and asked her if she wanted a job. They took her to the clinic and trained her for about 30-45 minutes and had her perform surgery with another tech using a motorized handheld FUE remover. She said she was leaving at the end of the day because she has no idea what she is doing and if I remember correctly was getting paid about 1-2 euros an hour. Again this is what the patient told me.

That is horrifying. I wonder what will become the Turkey transplant industry if they ever become part of europe? I guess by the time that happens, we may have a magic little pill instead of FUE etc.

Unfortunately I hear a lot of horror stories, all in the name of money. Its disgusting how any doctor can do a hair transplant with no additional schooling or training. These companies with robotic machines will sell it to almost any doctor regardless of there skill and knowledge. The Neograft results I have seen in the clinic are horrible and alot of donor was damaged during the process. This could be a combination of the doctors skill and the machine.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson