Hair bulb ? 3.5 months post op

Hello everybody,

So I scratched my head today and this fell out. Please see attached photo, now I'm particularly worried but does this indicate I haven't been shampooing intensively enough ? Shouldn't this have fallen out months ago ?

Thanks

IMG_20160825_130205.thumb.jpg.8dd95b5d25e9ae78fc2471a1fe88fe71.jpg

It looks like a dead graft to me and nothing to worry about since it is only one. If there were lots of these that came out, then it would be an entirely different situation.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi. How does the recipient area look in terms of color and texture? The shedding is late, but you should continue to update your clinic.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks everybody. In fact I had my surgery carried out by dr mwamba. Overall I think the outcome so far is pretty good. I was using minoxidil 4 weeks with some dry scalp now and dandruff, not sure if this has affected my results ? I used to chlorhexidine to wash my scalp a few times does to pimples and inflammation. Still a bit tender and sore at the recipient site. I use nizoral and welding blue occasionally not sure if these shampoos are too aggressive I'm a smoker but didn't until two weeks post op.

Any advice would be appreciated

vincente,

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a good doctor and HT surgeon. We used to work together at the same clinic for a number of years and got to know him quite well. You should end up very happy with your result.

By the way, minoxidil has a tone of alcohol based additives. If you read the label ingredients, you will see what I mean. Many of these inactive alcohol based ingredients can potentially dry out the scalp, cause irritation and inflammation.

I know that many doctors advocate the use of using minoxidil on the recipient site to "jump start" the regrowth however the grafts will grow just fine even without the use of minoxidil.

Congrats on your recent procedure....;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

It looks like a dead graft to me and nothing to worry about since it is only one. If there were lots of these that came out, then it would be an entirely different situation.

is it bad if that happens? I had a few fall out around 3.5 months probably 10-20 bulbs over a 10 day period

Hello everybody,

So I scratched my head today and this fell out. Please see attached photo, now I'm particularly worried but does this indicate I haven't been shampooing intensively enough ? Shouldn't this have fallen out months ago ?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. After 3.5 months, even if you 'plucked' an implanted hair, it would still eventually grow.

*I know this is not true, but the picture looks so much like you pulled it off fresh immediately after the surgery (not after 3 months or so). I find this interesting. I assume it's quite dried. If it's dried, it's probably dead skin or dandruff attached to a hair.

Again, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

is it bad if that happens? I had a few fall out around 3.5 months probably 10-20 bulbs over a 10 day period

No I don't think so because look at it this way...if the procedure involved 2,000 grafts and 20 grafts were lost, that's only 1% and believe me, no procedure has a 99% yield.

In addition, losing the bulb is not the same as losing a graft.

Gillenator

No I don't think so because look at it this way...if the procedure involved 2,000 grafts and 20 grafts were lost, that's only 1% and believe me, no procedure has a 99% yield.

In addition, losing the bulb is not the same as losing a graft.

is there an easy way to tell the difference? For some reason I can't get the OP's pic to enlarge. The hairs I shed later on had a little bulb on it like the ones at the beginning.

If the grafts are placed properly and securely, then yes they are pretty much secure after roughly 3 days, certainly after one week. And if the graft is lost within the 3 day post-op period, yes there is almost always bleeding from the recipient site.

But it's also possible that a graft is lost and gets stuck to the hair within the recipient site and later is found from grooming or washing of the hair.

When I opened the photo provided into a larger frame, it looks like a follicle at the base and dried graft tissue above it.

Still, it can be hard to tell from a photo compared to seeing it in front of you.

Gillenator