Good scar creams for post op

Anyone have any good luck with things that help mitigate scar appearance and smooth down scars a few weeks after surgery and sutures are out?

There are the usual over the counter suspects in CVS and Walgreens, but do they work, is there any caution against them?

Fire away, I'll hang up and listen.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

You just want to be careful about using scar creams too early post-op that are steroidal based. Many of them are and using them too soon after surgery can be counter productive.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon for advice and recommendations before using any scar creams.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You just want to be careful about using scar creams too early post-op that are steroidal based. Many of them are and using them too soon after surgery can be counter productive.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon for advice and recommendations before using any scar creams.

Can you be specific, is there a brand that's off limits.

Hi,

You could give Prosil a go, I know a few people in the UK who have used it with great results for scars but not HT scars. There's a company called Amred Healthcare which is run by an old school friend of mine who distributes in the UK and it's also prescribed by the UK National Health Service so is a proper legit product.

It's also a US product so should be relatively easy for you to get hold of in the US.

Oh, and I think it's silicon based not steroid.

Edited by Shera

Hi,

You could give Prosil a go, I know a few people in the UK who have used it with great results for scars but not HT scars. There's a company called Amred Healthcare which is run by an old school friend of mine who distributes in the UK and it's also prescribed by the UK National Health Service so is a proper legit product.

It's also US product so should be relatively easy for you to get hold of in the US.

Oh, and I think it's silicon based not steroid.

Thanks, i found a silicon based scar cream with a roller at my local pharmacy, it includes cosmetic surgery scars among the things it is appropriate to use for, so if this isn't appropriate for an HT scar then i don't know what is.

Speegs,

As usual, I agree with Gillenator. Definitely speak with your clinic before putting anything on the scar. Some have strong preferences about what to use and not use on the healing incision line.

Having said that, I find vitamin E most effective.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

My doctor gave me mupirocin and I am only one month out from surgery and my scar is no problem. I have a hard time feeling where my scar is or finding it in the mirror. But that speaks to how great Dr Cooley is. I am amazed at one month out how I have no pain or no problems with the scar.

Edited by JON86
g