Just got my first HT. How can I keep it secret?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I've had diffuse thinning from the crown to the front of my head for quite a few years. I was able to use Toppik to keep it concealed pretty well; I don't think anyone could tell how thin I was. (Having a tuft of hair along the hairline helped quite a bit.)

I finally took the plunge and got about 2,200 frontal grafts via FUT. Well, as part of that, the recipient area was shaved. So, now I don't know what to do. I didn't tell anyone I was getting HT and am kind of worried about going back to work in a week or two.

So, what can I do? My hair isn't long enough to comb-over the recipient area. I guess what I have to do is cut the rest of the hair as short as the recipient area and use some Dermmatch or something? But I'm unsure if all the diffuse hair I had pre-HT will grow back quickly, or if "shock loss" will mean it takes months to come back. Then, when my transplanted hair falls out in a month, will I be completely slick up there?

Anyway, sorry for the rambling first post -- I just don't know what to do to keep the HT not obvious. I clearly didn't do my research and thus didn't realize all my existing hair would be shaved before the procedure.

Pics would help but this seems like something best worked out with a long term plan. Sounds like doing your best to blend the hair maybe with some topik would be your best option now. You won't know how much your hair shocks for a while so it is really a waiting gam .

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

This is my first post here. I finally took the plunge and got about 2,200 frontal grafts via FUT. So, now I don't know what to do. I didn't tell anyone I was getting HT and am kind of worried about going back to work in a week or two. So, what can I do? I just don't know what to do to keep the HT not obvious. I clearly didn't do my research and thus didn't realize all my existing hair would be shaved before the procedure.

I can relate, because I too was worried about all those same things, but I think most patients have two choices. #1. Don't tell anyone, and people find out or at the least know something is up anyway, or #2. be open about it and people find out. But notice either way they find out.

I think it's best to be pro-active, bite the bullet, and just tell people...."this was important to me, I thought about it a long time, finally took the plunge, and in a few months I hope it turns out well". Questions will be more about "is that your hair?"...."how much did it cost?"..."did it hurt?"...You'll be surprised how quickly the whole matter fades away in 99% of everybody's mind. Look people have busy stressful lives, they really are not going to spend much time thinking about your hair. They are dealing with tons of stuff in their own lives.

I have been very open and up front about it and thus in my mind greatly reduced the "whispers". Coworkers, friends, relatives are not whispering "what did he do?"....because they all know what I did. They know I am not trying to hide anything, they know I kind of embrace it, am not ashamed, and am kind of proud that I decided to make a change for the better. Heck most adults have something about themselves they'd like to change. Cosmetic surgery is more common today than ever before. Everyone knows somebody that has had work done....it's really no big deal when you think about it. I honestly believe it's harder on the patient attempting to hide than just face everybody and embrace it.

In my opinion "hiding" only breeds curiosity and awkward moments.

I suppose some patients that can wear a hat all the time, including at work could "hide" pretty well, but if you attend church or have to go to a funeral, that's not going to work. Plus most people can't wear a hat at their job and even if you could it might look odd to have never worn a hat to work then all of a sudden wearing a hat every single day.

ps: Although it does not fit your case, I advise going public BEFORE the surgery as well. Before the surgery you are not as self-conscious, you are not swollen, you are not red, you are not dealing with the post-op issues...so I highly advise not only being open, but do it before, so that way there is even LESS SURPRISE when you get back to work. People like being "in on the secret" when in reality it isn't a secret because you are telling them. Get it out of the way before while you are 100% and it will be even easier to come back to work.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Honestly, this is going to be tough if not impossible to pull off in only 1 or 2 weeks time.

I was unusual in that my redness lasted quite a bit longer than a lot of guys and I also kept buzzing my hair short during the healing and early growth stages. With my first strip, I had no head shaving at all. The strip scar was easily concealed but I did not have enough existing hair in the recipient area to adequately hide the redness. Though I work from home, I had a meeting to attend about 5 weeks post op. The redness was still evident and I ended up calling in sick.

I was keeping my hair pretty short at this time and when my next meeting rolled around about 3 months later I was still pinkish enough that I was concerned what people might think. At that stage I figured I could pass it off as sunburn.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

@selfconscious

Check out my thread, if I was able to keep my HT a secret, you should be able as well.

I'm allowed to wear a hat at work though. HUGE plus. Good luck to you mate

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)