Any general advice greatly appreciated

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and first venture out for advice on hair loss so any bit of help is greatly appreciated! Long story short, I'm 26 and have been suffering from hair loss for around a year now, it's not extreme but my hair line has been receding more and more over time and I'm concerned that another year or two down the line I may be completely bald.

I just wanted to know what people have found work best for them to keep the hair they have and potentially regrow it? I know it sounds like a very vague question but looking online you see so many different things and a lot of sales adverts which are not trustworthy at all. I had a consultation with a local clinic and he was just a sales man who could not answer any of my questions what so ever so I just didn't know where to turn.

Im not sure if it's best to dive in straight for a transplant or try non surgical methods first? I'm not keen on taking tablets that potentially have bad side affects on other parts of my body. As I said this is the first time I've considered doing something about it so any general advice on where to start of would be great, even if it's just based on your personal circumstance.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Greetings,

The only things that really work in terms of 'potentially' regrowing hair are finasteride and minoxidil. Finasteride is probably a 7 or 8/10 in terms of effectiveness. Minoxidil maybe a 4 or 5. If you had to choose one to use it would have to be fin.

Not everyone gets regrowth but most get a significant slowing down of hair loss.

Laser caps and combs are a waste of time in my opinion.

You will get some people on here saying 'stay away from fin' but the side effects don't happen for the majority or will disappear if you stop taking it. It's worth a shot. Get a hair doc to prescribe the 1mg pills and take a 1/4 every other day and see what happens over 6 to 12 months.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and first venture out for advice on hair loss so any bit of help is greatly appreciated! Long story short, I'm 26 and have been suffering from hair loss for around a year now, it's not extreme but my hair line has been receding more and more over time and I'm concerned that another year or two down the line I may be completely bald.

I just wanted to know what people have found work best for them to keep the hair they have and potentially regrow it? I know it sounds like a very vague question but looking online you see so many different things and a lot of sales adverts which are not trustworthy at all. I had a consultation with a local clinic and he was just a sales man who could not answer any of my questions what so ever so I just didn't know where to turn.

Im not sure if it's best to dive in straight for a transplant or try non surgical methods first? I'm not keen on taking tablets that potentially have bad side affects on other parts of my body. As I said this is the first time I've considered doing something about it so any general advice on where to start of would be great, even if it's just based on your personal circumstance.

Thank you for your time in advance.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Matt

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the most likely route id take, my only concern is that I've read once you stop taking the meds that any hair you would have lost during that time you would lose anyway, which means you would have to take it permanently?

Finasteride is certainly a long term commitment. As Matt says, you could try it for six months to see if your body tolerates it ok. If you can stabilise or even improve your situation then it makes things easier to plan moving forward.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

The most effective nonsurgical treatments to keep your existing hair is Propecia and Rogaine. Both when used in conjunction with one another can have a synergistic effect and be even more effective than either treatment alone. Like all medication, both do come with the potential for side effects so be sure to research each treatment before using them. However, they are both highly successful at leased to help keep existing hair and make even strengthen miniaturizing hair giving it a fuller appearance.

Best wishes,

Bill