Pulling/rubbing out grafts after 16 days, big mistake?

Hello All,

First thanks to everyone on this forum for the HT education that led to me recently getting a procedure with Dr Pathomvanich in Bangkok. Everything went well and he is an absolute professional, but I fear I may have done something very stupid at the 16 day mark and not even Dr Path is sure what will result from it!

On the 17th day I was to go back to work so the night before I noticed that when I touched the grafts they came out easily in my fingers. As this was a hairline lowering procedure the short grafts out in front looked pretty odd so to my now massive regret I got a bit carried away and started to rub and very lightly pull out about 40% of the grafts (the rest would not come out). Most were straight hairs with nothing on the end, some had the small black bulb and j hooks.

I guess I did this because of the 10 day rule of grafts being permanent and that with the lightest of pulls they just came out.

But now obviously I see that it was maybe a very stupid thing to do and after Dr Path obviously told me to stop immediately and let them fall out naturally. He also said that he is not sure of what will happen now as he has NEVER heard of a patient doing this. However I have read of people being told my their HT doc to get aggressive with washing after the 14 day mark.

Anyway I can't seem to find any stories like this on the forum so thought I would ask and see if anyone else did anything like this? Basically have I done something detrimental to those grafts and lost them?

Thanks to all,

This is probably the start of the shed. Unless the graft loss was in the first five days and there was obvious blood from where the graft came out, you should be fine.

Depending on who you speak to, most say the grafts are firmly secured and immovable after 7 - 10 days from the date of surgery.

Relax! It's just the beginning of the natural shed. It's a normal process. Don't worry you haven't loss any grafts.

I wonder why doctor didn't assured you that there is nothing to worry about.

Grafts are firmly secured after 10days. Unless you tear your scalp and pluck it out

Even though the grafts are permanent, pulling out hair when they are not ready to fall out is not a great idea. I imagine this would cause some trauma to the freshly planted grafts - probably that's the reason why the doctors instruct us to gently rub and not to pick the crusts.

IMO, you should be fine if the hair that you pulled out came out very easily without causing any tension or bleeding because it's normal for the hair to fall out with the crust attached to it.

Grafts can begin to shed from 2-3 weeks post-op so IMHO, no harm was done. You certainly don't want to force them out if they don't come off easily without putting any tension on them. Most docs want their patients removing the crusts after 10-12 days post-op so again, I think you will be fine.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Mate,

I had an FUT and on day 14 did exactly what you did.

I felt they were looking loose so I tugged on them gently and they came off. I felt they were ready so tugged away 40 % of them only to realise in 30 minutes "shit have a messed it up"

I was reassured by my surgeon ( plantinum follicle awardee) and top surgeon from Newyork( another platinum follicle awardee) and a top notch surgeon from south east Asia that 10 days is a very good ball park and 14 and in ur case 16 is pretty good.

The week after was a horrible week of second guessing and roller coaster ride. I am 2 months out and see new Villous baby hair in the area where there were none before so I feel it should be good. Won't know for sure but so far so good.

I feel you will do well, hang in there.

Kind Regards,

KK