MMA fighter: how long until I can return to training after a FUE?

Hello fellow sufferers, I am still in research, even if Dr.Demirsoy seems like my likely choice right now, and I would like to know how long I'm going to have to stay off the rings/mats after my procedure.

I see much more info online regarding this issue with strip surgery. Most people recommend avoiding wrestling and boxing for months because the scar could potentially stretch. But the issue isn't the same with FUE. I only have to worry about the grafts right?

If yes, I must determine when it will be safe for me to get back to the practice room. If I can shampoo with normal force, then I can probably wrestle and rub my head against my opponent's, the mats, escape headlocks, get grabbed, take a few punches... I will use headgear as well.

If anyone has some advice or some experience, that will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Normally within a few wks but in your case being In a close contact sport MMA I would go that extra mile say about 1 month before you start to do any wrestling but general training like weights & cardio then yep you be fine just after a few wks but dont go crazy though you need to heal that scalp.

washing hair should be back to as you would on the second wk.

but always run this sort of stuff by your HT Dr, he wouldn't mind you shooting a email about

Your co concerns.

Good luck & look forward to UFC 200....GO Frankie!

Normally within a few wks but in your case being In a close contact sport MMA I would go that extra mile say about 1 month before you start to do any wrestling but general training like weights & cardio then yep you be fine just after a few wks but dont go crazy though you need to heal that scalp.

washing hair should be back to as you would on the second wk.

but always run this sort of stuff by your HT Dr, he wouldn't mind you shooting a email about

Your co concerns.

Good luck & look forward to UFC 200....GO Frankie!

It will probably take 3-4 weeks for your extraction sites to heal with the scabbing gone, and then you should be fine. Your grafts will be very secure by then as well...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies fellas, I'm planning on giving exercise a complete break for two weeks, then start a serious crossfit routine for a couple weeks, then come back on the mats/rings starting with easy drills and build up the intensity over the weeks. It sucks but I really don't want to ruin this HT.

Thats the ticket bro.

Are you a pro or just amateur mma?

watching fightnight last night live some good fights on there better than the ppv stuff.

Eitherway tuff sport, wish you luck.

Thats the ticket bro.

Are you a pro or just amateur mma?

watching fightnight last night live some good fights on there better than the ppv stuff.

Eitherway tuff sport, wish you luck.

I've only had two amateur and two pro fights, it's tough to be a competitor while having to deal with a full time job. I'm coaching and my current goal is to keep up with the young up and coming guys of my gym and be a decent sparring partner to higher level guys. I would love to get back in the game for real if I manage to have more free time, because it takes two daily sessions for several months to really be up there with the serious, legitimate competitors. Such a complex sport. Thanks for the kind words bro. The next few weeks are going to be tough too.

• 4 weeks later...

I was back doing very light work at day 19, with a rugby helmet, did bump my head a few times but it was nothing hard.

The shedding started on day 21, as I resumed minox applications.

Crazy dandruff as well. I'll stay extremely cautious until day 45. Scalp itches like crazy I'm losing my mind.

See my headgear full of dandruff and short hairs:

Ci7e9pT.jpg

Day 11, with most of my grafts:

Emb41d8.jpg

Day 22 the slow descent

82Wssi4.jpg

Looking good there buddy.

Have you cut your hair recently?

Thanks bro, not at all, it's just the transplant growing out. The temples do look more sparse than the new hairline I'm a bit worried about that!

Yep still early days tho.

your doing fine.....

On a side note looking forward to UFC 202 should be interesting.

Wasn't so shocked witb robbie loosing his title tho, hes been on top for such a long time, he needs a good rest but in that game you got to get the $$$$ when it comes ya way.

nice one bro...keep up the good work.

happy growing.

Edited by ontop

• 4 weeks later...

Can you give it more time until your regrowth really kicks in?

I mean you can always maintain your training such as weightlifting, etc. but can you avoid the fight matches for now?...:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Can you give it more time until your regrowth really kicks in?

I mean you can always maintain your training such as weightlifting, etc. but can you avoid the fight matches for now?...:confused:

I coach and compete as well. I just do grappling or light striking. It's the only thing that takes my mind off the ugly duckling phase really...

I know Spex played rugby seven days post op. That sounds nuts.

• 10 months later...