Taking Finasteride unnecessarily?

redchickenleg

Hi All,

My hair is full and thick all over except the hairline where it's starting to thin. I'm considering taking Finasteride to preserve what I have become but I'm concerned that I could be doing more permanent damage to my hair.

I've read about the initial shed that occurs initially whilst on this drug and I'm worried that I may cause my hair to thin in the crown area by taking it. Whereas it wouldn't have if I never took the drug.

Also if I were to come off the drug in say 5 years, would my hair shed to a point that would be more aggressively bald that if I'd have never taken the drug in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

Shedding from finasteride generally happens to hair that is in the miniaturizing process and the hair that sheds will regrow after a few months, stronger. Hair doesn't always shed but not uncommon when starting any treatment such as minoxidil too. If you stop taking finatseride after a long period you will certainly lose the benefits from taking it but only retreat to where you would have been if not taken it at all.

Dr. Scott Alexander

IMO there is no danger from finasteride to the hair, the effects are all positive

The only problem can be other side effects (sexual function, mood etc)

This has been my thinking as well,

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Hi Redchicken,

I wouldn't worry about finasteride damaging your hair. Most of the stories posted online about this occurring are anecdotal and are more likely to be cases in which the drug was ineffective at the hairline. I would surmise that the patient has seen the continuation of the hair loss that was likely to occur irrespective of their taking finasteride.

It is unlikely to miraculously restore a thinning hairline to its former glory but could still have a distinctly positive effect. I had a pretty decent anterior response to fin/min (which you can view via my profile if interested) and am happy i took the decision to begin taking it, even though (as you describe) i only had mild thinning/recession. Personally I didn't notice much of a shed initially but am confident it has thickened my hair throughout the scalp and even had an impact at the hairline.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

If you are experiencing hair loss at all, finasteride may just help save what you have and even reverse the process. Thus, it's a good idea for men with only mild thinning to begin taking it as finasteride is most effective in those who only just started thinning / losing their hair.

Best wishes,

Bil