Dr. Hasson 1993 grafts FUE 2nd surgery/Scar and 4435 FUT 1st surgery

This was the original write up from a previous post back in 2014:

“This patient from Vancouver had been thinking of hair restoration for some time. The goal was to try for 4,000 grafts to restore the frontal zone working into the mid scalp as far back as possible.

He loosened his scalp for 2 months prior to surgery and Dr. Hasson was able to harvest 4435 follicular units in one session. 694 were single hair grafts, 3023 were doubles and 713 were 3 to 4 hair grafts.

The donor area was medium to high density and the caliber of the hair was fine. Dr. Hasson also was able to provide coverage in the crown while still delivering the adequate density up front. The patient was very grateful and pleased with the result which, especially considering his fine, hair worked out quite well.

These photos were taken a little over 3 years post-op.”

83351_2ca597_4c263a.jpg

46601_29715d_6fb84a.jpg

83365_2cc82c_7a647d.jpg

83382_50be28_d4efa9.jpg

83389_30a8be_441d60.jpg

83395_bde359_2b4de7.jpg

83406_12fc21_522a91.jpg

46602_d42416_04dde0.jpg

The light coverage in the crown as a result of his first procedure served him well over the years but now having some time off he decided he would like added density to that area. The combination of his scalp being tight, the previous scar being so good and the thought of having a quicker recovery all factored in to his decision to have FUE for his second smaller procedure. Considering all factors, I believe his decision to opt for FUE this time around was a good choice. As you can see in the pics, the scar from the first FUT procedure was very minimal, he can probably go almost as short as if he would have had FUE in the first surgery. Photos are pre-op, imed post op, 1 day po and 6 days po.

187 – s

1123 – d

683 - 3-4 hair

1993 total grafts

4482 hairs, manual, punch size 0.8

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

The following photos are 15 days post-op

back-00.jpg

back-30.jpg

back-close-up.jpg

top-00.jpg

I will update his future progress

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Incredibly good FUT scar from round 1. Bravo.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Insanely thin strip scar. Really wish I got something close to that.

Is this unusually good or are strip scars normally like this? Did he lose more hair in the crown?

Thanks for the comments.

Bald36:

I would say it depends on how you define “strip scars”. I would say the average strip scar industry wide is not as good as this so no, “strip scars” are usually not this good. However not all clinics and surgeons are created equal and I believe doctors Hasson and Wong are as skilled as any at strip removal and closure. Over the last 15 years I’ve worked at the clinic I have seen many patients who have had their first strip surgery at another clinic before having one at Hasson and Wong. I would say at best one in every ten I would see would even come close to this one.

Dr. Hasson weighs in on your Question: “At Hasson and Wong we have always gone to great lengths to ensure our strip closures are as close to perfect as possible. So this patient has what we would consider a good Scar and probably 50% of our patients would achieve this or something close. The healing characteristics of patients do however vary but we would say 90% of our patients achieved scars of 2 millimeters or less.”

Here are more examples of well healed strip scars from our clinic:

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-surgery/hair-transplant-scars/

As far as part 2 of your question, I don’t believe he has lost much if any hair in the crown since his first procedure. The first surgery was to restore the front and mid scalp and work back as far as possible. Some light crown coverage was also able to be achieved. While this served him very well for several years it was always his thought to add to the crown at some point. The timing as mentioned was right to achieve the added coverage and density to the crown on this 2nd procedure.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Thanks trashpanda!

I think FUE first and FUT later makes sense in some cases especially if it is a relatively small amount of grafts in the first procedure most likely confined to the hairline or frontal zone. If there is a future need for a large number of grafts, FUT can be utilized later. You could make the case this line of thinking may suit a younger guy. If the doctor expected a future FUT would be a distinct possibility, in planning for this he could chose to leave the area of the potential future donor strip a little less harvested to increase the strip yield.

Hassonandwong.com