Questions regarding post HT meds regime

So now that I've had my operation, it's time to protect my investment so to speak :)

I've been on Finasteride (1mg a day) for years and will continue to do that, but I have questions about Minoxidil & Nizoral.

Minoxidil: I've been reading a bunch of posts about Lipogaine vs Rogaine and having trouble understanding if there's really a substantial difference between the two given they have the same active ingredient. I'm leaning towards Lipogaine since most of what I've read suggests that the results are better, but it is substantially more expensive.

In reading a bunch of posts, I noticed that some folks do it twice a day, vs once. How did you come to that decision?

Do you tend to apply it to the crown, & recipient area? What about the donor area?

Also, is a hair roller a good idea?

Nizoral It sounds like Nizoral 2% is prescription and I'll ask my doc for it, but I had similar questions regarding usage. How did folks decide on using it daily vs twice a week? Did it mostly come down to how itchy/dry it made the scalp?

Lastly, anything else that I should be taking?

Thanks!

You've asked some good questions. In my opinion, Rogaine foam is one of the most effective minoxidil products because the delivery system seems to be superior to the liquid. There were separate FDA studies on the foam suggesting that over 80% of men benefited from it as opposed to I believe somewhere in the 60 percentile for the liquid. My percentages may be a little off as I am going from memory here. That said the percentage of minoxidil is one of the most important aspect here. The typical solutions are 5% and 2% although there are some medications that will provide a higher percentage But higher percentages than 5% haven't really been proven more effective by the FDA.

Nizoral contains the active ingredient ketaconozole which does provide some anti-DHT properties. However, it can be harsh so you can only use it a couple times a week. However, you can use Revita or even 1% Nizoral the other days. But I suggest Revita because it is less harsh on the scalp and has other ingredients that are good for the hair.

Interesting about the foam application. When I saw all the options, my gut reaction was that would be better since it's much easier to apply.

I suppose I'm still torn between Lipogaine and Rogaine and struggling to understand whether there are material differences between the two.

Also, about application, do I apply it to vertex and recipient area (front of scalp) and ignore donor area?

I use the foam in the morning, and the liquid at night. Honestly, I find the liquid easier to apply to my scalp whilst I get the feeling that the foam is being absorbed by the hair and not reaching the scalp, let alone penetrate it.

Bill, how do you get the 2% Nizoral, or did you just get a prescription?

• Administrators

In my own anecdotal experience having used Rogaine foam for 4 years prior to switching to lipogaine 11 months ago. Not only has my shedding decreased substantialy but i noticed my transplant grew several months earlier compared to my first transplant.

I think when you look at the ingredients in lipogaine there is a better vehicle mainly the liposome delivery system (for absorption). It also contains retinol proven to help in the absorption of minoxidil, as well as DHT blockers like beta sitoserol and saw palmetto. Are these treatments as effective as finasteride no. But i do believe they actually help. This is just based on my own experience having used both products.

Lipogaine is expensive so what you could do is use a cheap foam in the morning and use lipogaine at night. Thatll save you some money and may be easier to apply in the morning.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Not sure how long after a ht these products are safe to use?

I found minox 5% foam is less messy and absorbs rapidly. I started using it once a day for 2 months and had no scalp problem so this last month I started to use it twice as is the reccommended amount to use. I put it in the crown, top of head and front.

I got the lipogaine minox as well but have not used it yet.

Nizarol 2% you can buy it, it is kept behind the counter for some reason but you don't have to go to the doc for that. When i started using it i noticed my hair was looking much thicker and healthy. I use it a few times a week don't want to over do it and get scalp problems.

Inbetween i use the lipogaine shampoo and alpecin shampoo.

Everybody is different and maybe you got to see what will work best for you.

Another thing these products are not cheap so i'm just going to stick with the ones that are working for me.

Fin is a choice but i changed my mind again about it and don't want to risk any sides.

There are many who have had a ht and don't take it.

Thanks for all the great feedback...this is super helpful

@HTSoon, is the shedding pretty common, or do you suspect that there may have been other factors at play with you?

Dr also confirmed that Nizoral 2% doesn't need a perscription, but I can't seem to find it online anywhere, and local drug store (e.g. CVS) websites suggest they do need a prescription. I'll call them tomorrow.

Not sure if lipogain is any better, I have tried before but I thought it was just to greasy, a good idea would be just use lipogain hour before bed, then use the form in the morning.

as for shampoos myself i dont put to much thought into it, I just use a Biotin based shampoo a few times a wk seems okay for me as other shampoos make my hair look & feel like crap in just a day later.