Alcohol after FUT procedure

Hi All,

I had an FUT procedure done and had a couple glasses of wine ~54 hours post op, then got fairly drunk ~72 hours post op. Obviously I shouldn't have done that, but it happened, and now I'm curious if anyone knows if my transplant will be okay? Grafts still look good and I didn't do anything like bump my head.

Thanks for input!

I drank a few days after my procedure too - results came out fine!! in fact, I see a big disparity on avoiding alcohol consumption pre and post op between clinics - some clinics say no alcohol for 3 weeks before your procedure! and I've seen some others that say limit consumption just 2-3 days before a procedure!!! Its all out of precaution .. and you just have to use common sense in my opinion

You mean besides the dehydrated effect alcohol has on the body and would therefore adversely affect the newly implanted grafts which require that you are in an optimal state and that you stay hydrated??

Alcohol raises your blood pressure, effects your nervous system etc etc

The same reasons you would be required to cease drinking before any surgical procedure -

You mean besides the dehydrated effect alcohol has on the body and would therefore adversely affect the newly implanted grafts which require that you are in an optimal state and that you stay hydrated??

Alcohol raises your blood pressure, effects your nervous system etc etc

The same reasons you would be required to cease drinking before any surgical procedure -

I was never told anything about staying hydrated being crucial to implant success, or blood pressure. In fact wouldn't the increased blood flow from drinking actually potentially help graft growth?

I'm no expert, but from what I understand alcohol could slow healing or make the body more susceptible to infection. From anecdotal experiences of others that I've read, alcohol didn't seem to affect healing though or graft success.

If you get a really dense packing, then maybe the risks of reduced blood supply are severe though? I'm not sure. Anyone have an answer to this?

Some solid answers here. You guys are correct that in large quantities or in acute withdrawal situations, alcohol can affect fluid status, blood pressure, and immune function. However, I know the reason I specifically ask patients to refrain 7-10 days before surgery and 3 days after is because of the blood thinning effect.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 6 months later...

I'm curious about this. I've been reading that alcohol interferes with wound healing both in terms of epithelialization and angiogenesis. Angiogenesis doesn't occur until 3 days after the wound, and goes on for a few days after that.

My doctor recommended no alcohol for 3 days after (which I obviously followed). But based on what I've read, I'm thinking that maybe clinics should recommend no alcohol for 2 weeks? But obviously, I'm not a doctor...