Dr. Hasson 7862 Grafts/ FUT/ 1 Session/ day 1 to 11 months

This patient in his late 30's came from Australia to get as many grafts as possible. The aim was for 6,000 plus and we ended up with closer to 8,000. The area of need depicted in the photos at first glance does not look as extensive but the generalized thinning encompassed the entire top, front to back. Only finer miniaturized hairs were giving the illusion of coverage. This is more evident in the some of the progression pics. He was not able to style the hair properly and sun exposure to the top was always a concern down under. He had 3318 singles, 4170 doubles and 374 3-4 hair grafts. The quality and quantity of his donor hair was good. Medium to coarse in texture. He has an estimated 5,000 grafts left in reserve. The first 3 photos were taken at the clinic, the rest were sent in by the patient.

1.jpg

0-post-op.jpg

1a.jpg

3-days-evening.jpg

4-weeks-shock-loss.jpg

2-5-months.jpg

6-months.jpg

8-months.jpg

10-months.jpg

11-months.jpg

ba-1-10.jpg

ba-1-11.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

That is an excellent result.

I am particularly interested in this case, as i have a generalized thinning on top as well. I have not seen as many results from doctors in such cases.

I would like to ask two questions:

1. Is he on medication, if yes how long has he been on that before the operation.

2. Has there been any concern of shock loss(permanent), as there is a lot of native hair already and new grafts are being transplanted in between those. This seems to be a common concern for patients/doctors having/treating such diffused thinning on top.

Srik

Wow...what an impressive number of grafts for a single session with an enormous number of grafts still in reserve! Great result!!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

That is an excellent result.

I am particularly interested in this case, as i have a generalized thinning on top as well. I have not seen as many results from doctors in such cases.

I would like to ask two questions:

1. Is he on medication, if yes how long has he been on that before the operation.

2. Has there been any concern of shock loss(permanent), as there is a lot of native hair already and new grafts are being transplanted in between those. This seems to be a common concern for patients/doctors having/treating such diffused thinning on top.

Srik

+1 what happened to his native hair? Terminal shockloss or did it eventually grow out?

Can someone explain to me rationale here? Being sincere not sassy.

Very large session and use of avail supply for someone with tons of existing hair. I would imagine aggressive medical therapy would be a requirement.

Guys, this is my belief about native hair. An skilled doctor like Dr Hason will be able to transplant hairs safely between native hairs. Dr Hason also uses the lateral slit incision method. I believe this protects native hairs. I am 5 weeks post op from my second surgery with Dr Erdogan who also uses the lateral slit method. All my native hairs and my transplanted hairs have grown back at this point. This shows choosing doctors with ultra-refined methods, you are in safe hands. I may be wrong about the lateral slit protecting native hairs; do correct please :)

Guys, this is my belief about native hair. An skilled doctor like Dr Hason will be able to transplant hairs safely between native hairs. Dr Hason also uses the lateral slit incision method. I believe this protects native hairs. I am 5 weeks post op from my second surgery with Dr Erdogan who also uses the lateral slit method. All my native hairs and my transplanted hairs have grown back at this point. This shows choosing doctors with ultra-refined methods, you are in safe hands. I may be wrong about the lateral slit protecting native hairs; do correct please :)

Your result is amazing. I know it's been over a year for you. How long did it take for native hairs to grow out?

Your result is amazing. I know it's been over a year for you. How long did it take for native hairs to grow out?

Mosd, I do not wish to gate crash Doug's thread. This is an excellent result and we should focus on it. If you have any questions about my transplants, please fire them away on my thread

Thanks for the comments and questions guys.

Diffused thinning over a large area can often pose greater challenges. Many factors can be involved when determining the best course of action. We were one of the first if not the first to shave the recipient area to successfully transplant in between existing hairs. This allows for a greater field of vision and the angle and direction of the native hair can be determined with a much higher rate of success then without shaving which is critical in preserving surrounding hairs. Shaving in my opinion is a critical first step in being able to transplant large numbers with high densities successfully among existing hairs. A surgeon is able to transplant among existing hairs without the shave in some cases but this generally is reserved for smaller cases and where less density is acceptable. But you still run a higher risk of some transection. The skill of the surgeon and his technique are also factors of course. For a case such as this, Dr. Hasson would have determined that he could successfully transplant in between native hair with little or no material damage to them. If he felt there was too much risk, he would not perform the surgery. This would likely be the case if this patient had come to see him years earlier and the overall potential cosmetic result would have not warranted the risk of surgery. In other words, he would have had too much hair, the loss was not that noticeable, some damage to native hair would be likely and surgery was not going to make a worthwhile difference in his appearance. In this case the hair loss was far enough along to warrant surgery and safely navigating between the existing hairs was determined to be a safe bet. As far as whether medication would have been recommended before surgery, in some cases, yes. In this case, we know that the patient has an above average donor supply of above average quality. We know that while he may recover some hair in the top and crown on medication alone, he is not likely to recover enough or any significant amount of hair in the front to make him happy and give him the styling options he desires. In some cases we would just do to the front and top, maybe 4,000-4,500 grafts and leave the crown to medication. Factors such as donor reserves, final hair loss pattern, the patient’s desires and goals all play a role in determining the best approach. When a patient has these donor reserves, he can have just about anything he wants within reason. For this patient, money was not a factor, he wanted the most hair he could get, he choose not to see how well the medication might respond to his crown and was excited about the prospect of getting maximum coverage and density in one session. If he could improve some of the native hair on the medication that would be icing on the cake but maintaining his existing hair was the reasonable goal. I suspected that any of his native hair that fell as a result of temporary shock loss starting growing back at the same time as the transplanted hair. I have reached out to him to help answer a few specific questions. He has been on medication for about 14 months and has not noticed any improvement of the native hair, maybe stable at best. He reports the shocked native hairs grew back rapidly but it was not until around 6 months post op that he felt very confident without a hat. He was worried during the shock loss period but reports that everything Dr. Hasson said would happen did, including that he would have a great head of hair. He may try and post here with further information when he gets a chance as he is presently traveling.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com