Totally Newbie - Just ordered my first system

Messer

Hello all!

I want to post here because I've found forums so incredibly helpful and especially posts from Grincher.

I understand I may get shot down for being a shill of the company I went with - I've noticed anyone who appears out of nowhere with a good review seems to be treated with suspicion but I think/hope people lurking or looking for answers may benefit from my experience.

I just ordered a system with ukhairsystems (went off today) and I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can start my new life.

My tressless journey started when I was 16 and my friendly hair stylist pointed out that I was balding. After years of being told by mum that I just have a 'triple crown' or something I realised I really was losing my hair, and felt hopeless. I hadn't had a proper girlfriend, hadn't been to uni and had *just* lost a huge amount of weight and was starting to get noticed by girls. My dad isn't bald, but aside from him the men on both sides were, so I knew it wasn't diet - I even went to the DR to ask if I it was a hormonal thing.

Hair fell out slowly but surely, I swept my hair back to hide the thinning and that worked for a bit. A couple of years later I discovered Toppik (I think I saw it on telly?) and that completely changed my life. I had, and still have, hair all over and am losing in a diffuse pattern so it not only concealed my balding, but actually made my hair look better than it ever looked before. Over time I got better and better with it and as my hair continued to thin I disovered Couvre too and used them together. I've been in three long term (3 ish years) relationships where I have been using concealers and not one of them, up to now (over ten years of using concealers) ever noticed. No one has, not even my own family.

I know people will say 'they noticed, and didn't say' but they really, truly haven't. The litmus test has been my last two relationships, where I 'came out' years in - both partners were genuinely shocked. My best friends are hypercritical of appearance, and if they suspected I know they would have ripped me a new one - it made it challenging at festivals and holidays but its all worked out. I have what appears to be a full head of hair, so I suspect the hair system will not be a shock - just a better, more healthy looking version of what i have now.

As evangelical as I am about concealers, I'm now sick to death of them. They're messy and take a lot of pleasure out of my day. The more I thin, the less there is for them to stick to and I know they are not a long term solution.

I've ordered my first piece - I had a really good long email converation with Richard who listened, looked over pictures of my hair and created a solution that was right for me and my hairstyle with ultra thin skin at the front and swiss lace for the rest. He's going to hook me up with a stylist when it arrives and all in all I'm optimistic. I am not a celeb, but I do have a public side to my job so a convincing look was tantamount.

Grincher, although we have never spoken I've scanned your posts both here and other sites and your advice was so helpful. Thank you.

I'll let you all know how it looks in about 8 weeks!

Hello all!

I want to post here because I've found forums so incredibly helpful and especially posts from Grincher.

I understand I may get shot down for being a shill of the company I went with - I've noticed anyone who appears out of nowhere with a good review seems to be treated with suspicion but I think/hope people lurking or looking for answers may benefit from my experience.

I just ordered a system with ukhairsystems (went off today) and I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can start my new life.

My tressless journey started when I was 16 and my friendly hair stylist pointed out that I was balding. After years of being told by mum that I just have a 'triple crown' or something I realised I really was losing my hair, and felt hopeless. I hadn't had a proper girlfriend, hadn't been to uni and had *just* lost a huge amount of weight and was starting to get noticed by girls. My dad isn't bald, but aside from him the men on both sides were, so I knew it wasn't diet - I even went to the DR to ask if I it was a hormonal thing.

Hair fell out slowly but surely, I swept my hair back to hide the thinning and that worked for a bit. A couple of years later I discovered Toppik (I think I saw it on telly?) and that completely changed my life. I had, and still have, hair all over and am losing in a diffuse pattern so it not only concealed my balding, but actually made my hair look better than it ever looked before. Over time I got better and better with it and as my hair continued to thin I disovered Couvre too and used them together. I've been in three long term (3 ish years) relationships where I have been using concealers and not one of them, up to now (over ten years of using concealers) ever noticed. No one has, not even my own family.

I know people will say 'they noticed, and didn't say' but they really, truly haven't. The litmus test has been my last two relationships, where I 'came out' years in - both partners were genuinely shocked. My best friends are hypercritical of appearance, and if they suspected I know they would have ripped me a new one - it made it challenging at festivals and holidays but its all worked out. I have what appears to be a full head of hair, so I suspect the hair system will not be a shock - just a better, more healthy looking version of what i have now.

As evangelical as I am about concealers, I'm now sick to death of them. They're messy and take a lot of pleasure out of my day. The more I thin, the less there is for them to stick to and I know they are not a long term solution.

I've ordered my first piece - I had a really good long email converation with Richard who listened, looked over pictures of my hair and created a solution that was right for me and my hairstyle with ultra thin skin at the front and swiss lace for the rest. He's going to hook me up with a stylist when it arrives and all in all I'm optimistic. I am not a celeb, but I do have a public side to my job so a convincing look was tantamount.

Grincher, although we have never spoken I've scanned your posts both here and other sites and your advice was so helpful. Thank you.

I'll let you all know how it looks in about 8 weeks!

I now all about your Journey

Been a prisoner off consealer for 5-6 years i Think. And it is still not the best solution. But it is still somekind of temporary solution.

But regarding your hairpiece.

Isn't it hard to Wear a hairpiece if you still have quite some hairs left underneath? I was told it would lift the base off the hairpiece fast

From what I've read I can shave my head/crop it short and go about my business! Perhaps I'll have to shave it more often, but thats the least of my worries!

Concealers are a temporary solution yes, and so are hair systems but they're the right one for me. I'm not willing to take drugs that have limited effectiveness and I don't think surgery is right for me either. I'm quite willing to wear a hair piece for another 30+ years if it makes me happy (or until a non-surgical, permanent cure breaks through).

The amount I spend on concealers isn't unsubstantial, so a hair system really makes sense.

From what I've read I can shave my head/crop it short and go about my business! Perhaps I'll have to shave it more often, but thats the least of my worries!

Concealers are a temporary solution yes, and so are hair systems but they're the right one for me. I'm not willing to take drugs that have limited effectiveness and I don't think surgery is right for me either. I'm quite willing to wear a hair piece for another 30+ years if it makes me happy (or until a non-surgical, permanent cure breaks through).

The amount I spend on concealers isn't unsubstantial, so a hair system really makes sense.

I Also reaserched and am still keeping my eyes open about hairsystems.

But i Think you need to remember that a hairsystems Will definently take quite some of your time Also.

And you might be constant worried about people Will catch you!

I dont Think that it is healthy beeing paranoid 24/7 !

Unless your are open about it.

But i would love to see your pictures when you get it done ?

Mate, I've been paranoid about being 'caught' with concealer for over ten years now - I'm over the paranoia. You can tell when someone has noticed something 'off' about your appearance and I'm convinced this will be even better than my current solution.

Ill post pics when I get it - it'll be some time yet!

I thought I responded to this earlier.

This was a well written post. There is a learning curve to wearing a piece as I understand it. Northwest lace is a very good forum to check out if you are new to wearing, as there is a wealth of knowledge there.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank for sharing your story and I wish you the very best of luck.

I'm by no means an expert on hair systems. I've never used one. One of my best friends had one about 15 years ago and he quickly got tired of the expense and maintenance. But, I ran across an article recently about the introduction of 3D printing in creating exceptionally well-fitting and natural systems. Seems like an exciting innovation.

I hope you'll return and give us some feedback about your experience. Please share some pics. I'd love to see how things work out for you.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

They shave or trim down existing hair during your routine maintenance so that is not an issue, or at least it never was for me. As for a wig "definitely take quite some of your time" I did not find that to be the case at all, in fact dealing with thinning hair every morning without a doubt takes more time and effort. The one great thing about a proper hair system is you suddenly have plenty of hair to work with. The only part I had difficulty with was never feeling 100% natural and being paranoid about being "found out". I suppose if I had given it more time maybe those feeling would have dissipated. Mine looked really good, but I decided for removal due to never being totally comfortable with the whole situation. If my only choice was between a "horse-shoe totally bald" look or the best hair system available I would wear a hair system.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I appreciate you sharing your story. I agree that hair transplant surgery, while an excellent solution, isn't for everybody. And I also understand why you wouldn't want to take hair loss drugs.

Hair systems can look very natural if you are willing to put in the time and the money to maintain them. They can be a bit of a money pit at times but under optimal conditions they can look fully natural and make it appear like you have a full head of hair again.

I wish you luck with your hair system and hope you post some pictures of you wearing it.

Bill

Cheers all for the replies!

I have spent an ungodly amount of time and money maintaining my hair up to this point, so I honestly don't think this hair system will be much of a challenge.

I'll post photos for sure - I'm really excited.

• 3 months later...