dealing with sun light few months after HT and does topic blocks it?

Hello,

I've had a FUE transplant in my front/top area 2.5 months ago.

so far I've been very careful,and following all post op instructions.

I always wear a hat outside.

I was told sun light is very bad for scalp after HT and can result in permanent skin discoloration and even worse,can damage newly transplanted grafts.

my post op instruction says avoid sun light for 6 months post HT.

now I live in UK and normally we don't have much sun shine at all but this time a year it can get sunny,I don't plan on getting sun bath etc,but I find it very difficult to wear a hat for 6 months,especially since I have existing hair and they can be styled with Toppik..it's already been 2.5 months that I'm wearing a hat outside.

how do people cope with this issue?

my main question is,if I use Toppik or similar fibre based concealers , do they block the sunlight as well so I can go out without wearing hat?

Edited by JayPed

I was faced with a wknd of sun exposure at month 4 and was obviously nervous. If you have to be in the sun for an extended period, and you can wear a hat, I would wear one. If you are in a situation where you cannot, I would apply sunblock. Toppik can't hurt to mask the recipient obviously, but would not rely on it. Safer than sorry.

You want to protect your scalp from extended sun exposure while the growth occurs. The growth is affected by ultra-violent rays. If you do tanning beds or sunbathe, keep the grafts covered with a thick material to prevent any sunburning. Concealers don't provide much protection against UV rays. Wearing a hat is a good idea to protect your investment.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Agree, Toppik will not protect you from either UVA, UVB, or UVC rays.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

JayPed,

I tell my patients, from living in Phoenix, Arizona, a very sunny place, that after 3 weeks they may rub sun screen on their grafted area in stead of wearing a hat. But IMO I feel it is very important to put sun screen on every day. I hope this helps.

To my knowledge, Toppik concealer does not contain any active sunblock ingredients. I would not trust it as a sun blocking agent. It simply makes your hair appear thicker. That said, if you intend on going out in the sun for a long period of time, I suggest wearing a hat or sunblock. That said, as Dr. Alexander already suggested, you may have to wait about three weeks before applying sunblock because you do not want to harm the transplanted grafts. When I went outside for an extended period of time during the first couple of weeks, I would wear a loosefitting hat so as to not harm the graph when I went outside for an extended period of time during the first couple of weeks, I would wear a loosefitting hat so as to not harm the grafts and protect my scalp and hair from the sun.

Best wishes,

Bill

So what is the general consensus on how many months post surgery you can freely go out and play outdoor sport, go for long walks etc without worrying about sun exposure?

I'm 4.5 months post surgery, the weather here is beginning to pick up, heading into summer time, is sun block a must at all times or a hat more preferable?

People say it could be 18 months before you see your final HT result, so in that time could the sun theoretically affect your HT?

Some docs say even up to 8-10 months to be on the safe side...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

thanks everyone for responses.

what do you think about putting some sun screen on my scalp and then putting some Toppik on top?

will that be okay?

I do have pre-existing hair,and applying only sun screen,even the ones that claim are non-greasy makes my hairs stick together and look real bad,it's also difficult to apply on your scalp when you have some hair.

and about 8-10 month...that's really hard,I hope 6 months is just enough.

I would try using aerosol sunscreen instead of the lotion, which should help with the greasiness. Yes, it is fine to use Toppik in addition to the sunscreen. I hope this helps.