Am I fit for a HT?

Based on photos, it's very difficult to know for sure if your donor is diffused, or if it is indeed an issue of lighting. Only a microscopic exam will confirm if your donor shows miniaturization and diffusion from DHT. .

Thank you, gillenator.

When I go to a hair transplant surgeon, all I need to do is request a microscopic exam of my donor area and that will tell me what I have to work with?

Thank you, gillenator.

When I go to a hair transplant surgeon, all I need to do is request a microscopic exam of my donor area and that will tell me what I have to work with?

Yes that is correct. It's all about supply and demand. You need to have the right amount of good hair in the donor area to replace the areas of loss.

I look at these types of photos all day every day, here's what I see.

The photos do not show a NW7 pattern it is a case of a close cropped hair cut and how light and flash react on the shape of a scalp.

The flatter area at the back of the skull reflects the light and appears to be thinner as a result, like taking a photo of your crown with the flash on. The area below where his skull shape is different looks denser than reality giving the false impression of his safe zone because of the contrast in density when in reality I doubt there is any difference.

Like when you take a photo of the hairline with a flash on the density looks higher. If the OP takes photos in a normal lit room with no flash the donor would look totally different.

Lesson here is don't use flash when sending your photos in for an assessment.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I feel as though your donor is stable and quite dense, maybe not the best calibre in the world and quite a bit of temple recession.

I think you could probably get 1500-2000 grafts in a hairline somewhere behind the red line I've marked. FUE I would suggest provided it is a high end surgeon who is confident your follicles/scalp properties will render it successful.

If you are prepared to fight baldness tooth and nail I'd say get FUT (more long term grafts and better chance of growth success) but you're going to have to accept keeping the back and sides grade ~4 minimum, maybe a 3 if you heal well.

htn.thumb.jpg.ffae6f37c39bfff43cb392068cb4550e.jpg

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Photos give some idea but don't tell the full picture !

Many doctors have said I'm not suitable from my photos taken with a flash and when i sent the photos with no flash to other doctors i got a different reply saying how many grafts i could have!

I can see my hair loss looked much worse in the pictures with flash on.

I hope i get different response in person consultation...

Thank you, gillenator.

You're welcome my friend. Listen, only a microscopic exam will tell you what you are truly dealing with. And I sincerely hope it is a lighting issue from the pics but obviously you want to be sure.

Any reputable surgeon should be willing to do this for you in the physical exam and consultation appointment and most if any will not charge you for this evaluation.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY