Post op best practices

wanted to start a new thread about 2 months Post Op care. Most of my scabs are now gone. There are no signs of transplant on my head, no pain either !! I am asking experts for the best practices for a fine growth. Specially I want to know -

1) Should I treat grafted area normally for direct shower, swimming pool and walking bare head under the sun etc ?

2) Which shampoo should be used on a daily basis ?

3) Should we put any oil to cope up with dryness and itching ?

4) Should I continue the use of Rogain ?

5) Rubbing the fingers when it itches is harmful ? Will it affect the grafts inside ?

I know there is no one solution for everyone but still trying to collect some best practices.

Appreciate your time and faith ..

The best practices are those given by your clinic. Ask your clinic to provide you with the list of answers to the questions that you have listed below. Avoid sunburns and harsh shampoos, and try using aloe vera for itching.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Counting hair,

As already suggested, each physician provides their patients with postoperative instructions and what exactly to do for the first several weeks after their hair transplant procedure. All of the questions you have asked may vary slightly from physician to physician and thus, I do recommend following the instructions you were given.

That said, as a general rule, you should be free to use any shampoo immediately after surgery although some doctors will provide you with sodium laurel sulfate free shampoo to use because it is less abrasive on the scalp. There's no need to rub oil on your scalp however, some people do choose to use a dropper and put vitamin E oil on their scalp or aloe vera gel in order to help soothe the scalp and help it heal for the first week after surgery, maybe even the first two weeks. I would avoid itching the area however, after a few days in the shower you should be able to gently massage the scabs with your fingertips, not your nails which may also help alleviate some itch. But be careful not to apply to much pressure. One thing that really helped me is the use of nioxin shampoo and conditioner which has a cooling effect on the scalp and in my opinion helped alleviate some itching in both the recipient and donor area. Since I under went FUT/strip, the donor area was getting rather itchy with the Staples after a few days and the Nioxom really helps soothe the area and alleviate itch.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Try pain relief bacitracin w zinc. . I've been getting minor itching in the donor after fue. Johnsons baby shampoo has helped w dryness I had in the recipient area. Wear a hat if your in the sun longer than 5 minutes til month 3. These were the tips given to me by dr Diep.

wanted to start a new thread about 2 months Post Op care. Most of my scabs are now gone. There are no signs of transplant on my head, no pain either !! I am asking experts for the best practices for a fine growth. Specially I want to know -

1) Should I treat grafted area normally for direct shower, swimming pool and walking bare head under the sun etc ?

2) Which shampoo should be used on a daily basis ?

3) Should we put any oil to cope up with dryness and itching ?

4) Should I continue the use of Rogain ?

5) Rubbing the fingers when it itches is harmful ? Will it affect the grafts inside ?

I know there is no one solution for everyone but still trying to collect some best practices.

Appreciate your time and faith ..

Hi,

The following answers to your questions are what we inform our patients at Shapiro Medical:

1) Yes, you can treat your scalp normally, however, we strongly advise to not get your scalp sunburned. You'd never want to sunburn any part of your body whether you've had a ht or not but since you had a ht, be especially careful to not burn your scalp. You can apply sunblock or wear a ball cap to avoid risk of sunburn.

2) Any mild shampoo is fine.

3) If your scalp is oily or itchy, use over the counter Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks.

4) If Rogaine foam isn't irritating your scalp, yes, continue to use it.

5) Rubbing your scalp isn't going to harm the follicles inside but if you're rubbing the scalp vigorously while the fine hairs are starting to grow, you could cause the fine hairs to break off. If your scalp is itchy, refer to #3.

You'll be able to feel the growth with the pads of your fingers before you see the growth. Not too long before you get to the fun phases. Best of luck!!

• 1 year later...

The best practice is to let your body naturally heal, and do it's thing.

Rest of these potions, and ointments are all a complete colossal waste of time.

Continue your normal daily routine which involves showering, sweating and being pro-active.

Wear a hat when you go outside.