Scar after 2nd FUT versus 1st FUT

Sorry if I have asked this before but I am trying to see if I can get some consensus.

In general, how does a 2nd FUT scar compare to a first? I see a lot of people posting very fine, pencil thin scars after a first FUT surgery. Does the 2nd scar tend to come out as good or no?

Adequate scalp is critical when determining the outcome of subsequent strip scars and obviously holds true for any procedure. Most guys have enough laxity for their initial procedure but sometimes rush into their second one when their scalp has not regained enough laxity.

All four of my strip procedures left me with a thin scar yet I have several years between the procedures. My scalp was a tad bit tight on my fourth and last procedure however so that's it for FUHT.

If I ever did another procedure, it would undoubtedly have to be FUE.

It also helps to be a good healer. There are a few guys however who end up with a terrible scar either wide or raised on their first procedure. That can be from physiology or just poor doctor skills in the closure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Unless it's dramatic, you won't or will barely notice it.

Having said that, I can't cut my hair too short in the back. To hide the scars, a buzz cut is definitely out of the question and a #2 or #3 on the clippers at the barber / hair stylist is about the closest you'll get before the scars can be seen.

Allow me to point out that the skill of your stylist will also have an effect on this. If your stylist is aware of where the scars are they will be able to conceal them better, depending on the location of them. For instance, if your scars are above the midpoint of the back of your head and you like your hair shorter, the stylist could use a #3 clipper for better coverage over the scars, while using a #2 near the bottom of your head where there aren't scars. Doing something like this would still produce a very clean, businesslike or in-style haircut and still conceal the scars.

I'm interested in this also , as I'm likely to have a 2nd procedure at some point in the future . Obviously laxity will be a big determining factor .

I'm at just over 10 weeks post FUSS surgery , and as I have shock loss at a small part of the scar line haven't yet cut my hair at the sides / back. I'd be very happy to be able to get a #2 or #3 , but will have to wait a while to try it out .

One question I do have that may sound daft - how do you determine what you can go down to before any scar line is exposed ? I'm guessing to start carefully on the higher numbers and work down , and on each subsequent start on a very small section of the scar . That way , if it may be visible , you can stop and there will be very little to hide .

I'm interested in this also , as I'm likely to have a 2nd procedure at some point in the future . Obviously laxity will be a big determining factor .

I'm at just over 10 weeks post FUSS surgery , and as I have shock loss at a small part of the scar line haven't yet cut my hair at the sides / back. I'd be very happy to be able to get a #2 or #3 , but will have to wait a while to try it out .

One question I do have that may sound daft - how do you determine what you can go down to before any scar line is exposed ? I'm guessing to start carefully on the higher numbers and work down , and on each subsequent start on a very small section of the scar . That way , if it may be visible , you can stop and there will be very little to hide .

Laxity could be an issue, depending on where the strip is taken from an how much donor area you have left.

The last of my donor area was close to the top and sides of the back of my head. I had a very limited amount that the doc could take (he ended up skillfully getting 1100 grafts) but in the couple of weeks before the procedure, he had me keep massaging the scalp area to loosen the skin a bit, so it would be easier to extract more of the area. Obviously, yield was extremely important to me, so I massaged my scalp a lot!

As far as the haircut, that's why I mentioned that it will depend on the skill of your stylist. He / she will need to know where the scar is located, so around the area where the scar is, the #3 clippers could be used and still conceal the scar. Below the scar, a #2 or #1 could be used and obviously ,there would be no scar to expose in that area. That way, you can still get a clippered look without anyone ever know that you have a scar.

I agree...any skilled stylist should be able to visually see the scar and have a good idea what length would be necessary to adequately hide/cover it. If the scar comes out very thin, then the length can potentially be as short as a number #2 guide. But if there is pronounced lingering redness or still some shock that needs to recover, then obviously it would need to be longer.

Scalp laxity can vary throughout the occipital zone and the best docs make adjustments in the width as they excise the strip specimen.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY