New Hair System and I hated it

tanner1987

I got my new hair system fitted last week. It took well over 10 weeks to arrive and get booked it despite the initial quote of 7 weeks.

I'll be up front: I couldn't stand it. It felt so unnatural wearing it and it looked so not "me". I've had a very distinctive "V" in my hairline since the day I was born which I've always liked; I made it clear I wanted to keep it but the piece arrived with a very straight hair line. Going to sleep I could feel it move and the hair line for the hair piece sat a good centimetre above my natural hairline, so you could see my natural hairline beneath it -- is that normal?? It looked terrible and the only person I knew that I let see had an awful reaction. I'm glad I didn't let anyone else I knew see it because it was truly terrible IMO.

I only had it about 24hrs and then decided to remove it myself, using a bond remover and some disinfectant from the supermarket; it was difficult but not impossible.

$4,300AUD down the drain, which seemed very expensive in the first place. I've gone back to a shaven head, which doesn't look too bad. I had been growing it out using concealer(caboki) which I thought looked great. A lot of people just thought I was wearing hair dye and didn't really suspect I was badly thinning. I haven't decided which option I'll revert back to now, although I never really saw Caboki as a long-term solution, as much as I liked it. (Can't swim, people can't really touch it and so forth).

That's just my disappointing story about hair systems. I sure others love them, but not me.

Hair systems seem like a nightmare to me. If the shaved look doesn't look too bad and you are ok with it then you have won the battle. I would shave and say screw this all. To be honest the biggest part of dealing with hair loss comes from within our heads not on top of our heads.

I liked using the caboki; it looked like I had a full head of hair with my natural hairline, since my hairline itself has not really been receeding. It's just not practical though unfortunately; you can't go for a swim at the beach and everything you rest your head against leaves the powder everywhere. The look itself though I thought was great.

I'll just stick with the shaven look, up to 4-5 days growth. I have a good shaped head and I think I look particularly good with some beard, although work doesn't let me grow it. The main reason I wanted to try hair was that I'm still in my 20s, which I thought was a bit "abnormal" for balding, and the more practical aspects of always needing a hat in summer and beanie in winter! Alas everything can't be perfect and I can hardly complain with my 2nd best

I would imagine that it would definitely take quite a bit of time for you to get used to it - much more than 24 hours. I don't know much about hair systems, but I assume it's "sorta" like the Invisalign I'm wearing to straighten out my teeth right now: They felt super awkward at first and I was very self conscious about wearing them in public, but after a week or so, I'm totally fine with wearing them and sometimes forget they're even in.

Granted, hair systems clearly aren't for everybody - and I personally couldn't see myself being able to do it either - so if you're just as happy with the shaved head, then just stick with that. Much less stress that way anyway.

Sorry about the lost money though. That's the really sucky part.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 weeks later...