What should I do?

Hey guys, I am 22 and have some thinning on my left frontal corner and my right frontal corner. I have met with respectable doctors and one said there is no way a respectable doc would give me an HT because I am too young and do not have significant hair loss just thinning. Charles and Epstein recommended LLLT, PRP and one doc said propecia as well. I do not want to do the LLLT. But I have been considering the PRP. I am scared of propecia because I did have some side effects from taking just saw palmetto (testicular pain) and I am guessing that that might mean that I will probably have side effects from propecia. I also do not want to be on a pill at 22 for the rest of my life. I am a college student so the PRP is pretty expensive for me but I can finance with no interest for 12 months. I have been on Nizoral (non prescription) for a couple weeks but thats it. I still shed every day from my fron left corner and some on my right. Just wanted to know what you guys suggest I do.

Hey guys, I am 22 and have some thinning on my left frontal corner and my right frontal corner. I have met with respectable doctors and one said there is no way a respectable doc would give me an HT because I am too young and do not have significant hair loss just thinning. Charles and Epstein recommended LLLT, PRP and one doc said propecia as well. I do not want to do the LLLT. But I have been considering the PRP. I am scared of propecia because I did have some side effects from taking just saw palmetto (testicular pain) and I am guessing that that might mean that I will probably have side effects from propecia. I also do not want to be on a pill at 22 for the rest of my life. I am a college student so the PRP is pretty expensive for me but I can finance with no interest for 12 months. I have been on Nizoral (non prescription) for a couple weeks but thats it. I still shed every day from my fron left corner and some on my right. Just wanted to know what you guys suggest I do.

nyny12,

Welcome to this community icon_smile.gif

First things first, please post some pics of your situation.

Secondly PRP, is new technology and there is not a whole lot of data concerning its success.

LLLT, I think is laser therapy (I'm not sure, so someone correct me) and as such is not highly favored and might be scorned by some.

I am scared of propecia because I did have some side effects from taking just saw palmetto (testicular pain) and I am guessing that that might mean that I will probably have side effects from propecia.

Try the finasteride and see what happens.

Side effects do go away, unless there are so HUGELY traumatic that people stop taking it.

take care...

Thanks. I really do not want to post pics, I am not really comfortable doing that. But to describe it in detail. I have really thick hair, that grows fast. I use to have the barber thin out my hair when I got it cut because it was so thick. I started to notice it thinning about 12-18 months ago. If you meet me you would probably say that I am not thinning or balding at all because I have a lot of hair and can cover it up, for the time being. The left frontal is worse than the right. I am also thinking that maybe the front is starting to go but the docs said that it looks good so I might just be paranoid.

Also if I started finastride with .5 mg and just took it MWF would it reduce the potential side effects or would it be a waste of money and not do anything? Also how much does propecia cost from a reputable domestic (US)pharmacy not those online Canadian or overseas ones.

From the therapies you have mentioned, only propecia is a proven treatment for haiross. Laser therapy is thought to be very poor, and PRP, while promising, is still unproven as yet.

mmhc is right, propecia is your best bet, but get it from your doctor- not on the internet. That way he can monitor your progress and for side effects. Side effects with all drugs can potentially be dose related, meaning that a lower dose may help you to avoid them.

In terms of effectiveness, some HT docs recommend MWF dosing with 1mg, since 5 alpha reductase (the enzyme propecia inhibits), is inhibited for 72 hours with a single dose.

see the following link written by Dr Jerry Cooley (a coalition doc): http://www.regrowhair.com/non-...oss-every-other-day/

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Thanks. I read Dr. Cooley's post earlier. I know it mentions 1 mg mwf but would .5mg be effective? I almost have it in my head that I will get side effects (because of the internet, double-edged sword i guess), therefore I would like to take the least dosage that still is somewhat effective. Also I do not have health insurance right now, should I do blood test and have a check-up prior to taking propecia?? I can get a prescription from the HT doc that I met with but should I try and have a check-up and speak with a physician before hand?

there is no connection between saw palmetto and propecia. at your age you should definitely give the meds a shot. but honestly it sounds like you're unnecessarily worrying about your hairloss. enjoy your life right now. when the hairloss becomes an established pattern you can start to consider the ht path.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks Hairthere. I know for a fact I am worrying about it too much because it is too the point where it is taking over my life. I am not the same person I was before because I have become somewhat paranoid by it and I am starting to count fallen hairs and what not. My hairloss is not bad just some thinning at the two corners (mainly left) and since my hair is so thick you cannot tell at all when it is dry but I know it is there and I am also sure this stress (understatement) can only make it worse. I might just do the prp to see if it works and thickens those sides up or at the least slow it down but who knows. I almost wish these forums didn't exist because all they do is make me stress about it more and change my decisions. One second Il say thats it im going on propecia then Ill read how it ruined a 22 year olds life then I will say fine I am going to try prp then I will read that it is a waste of money and probably will not work. but now im back to thining I will do the prp just to say I tried it and hopefully it works somewhat but I think I am going to stay away from propecia because even if it did work that means I would have to be on it for the next 30-40 years and theres no way that can be good for your body.

Buy a dreadlock wig, have your girlfriend punch you in the groin and don't look back! Seriously, I think you answered your own question after some good input. How about concentrate on your studies/career, and revisit it in 10 yrs or so when a new method for hairloss may be in existence. You may very well look fine with some recession and this will become a non issue.

i don't recall ever reading that propecia has ruined anyone's life. worst case scenario you experience some side effects; if so you just stop the drug, the effects go away. sounds like you might need to do some more research on propecia.

what is your family history of hairloss? it won't necessarily dictate your mpb, but it will give you a better idea of what to expect.

also, you can get sucked into these forums and it can be unhealthy. do yourself a favor--take a break...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

hairthere, yes I need tot ake a break from these forums I think.

Also go to propeciahelp.com and you will see what I was saying about turning someone's life upside down.

Also my 2 grandfathers both died with full heads of hair. My 3 uncles (moms side) do not have MPB just mature hairlines with pretty full heads of hair (they are all 50+) and my dad is 58 and just started losing some hair in the past 18 months.