FUE - Donor Area Shock Loss?

Hello. I'm three weeks out from an FUE procedure (1500 grafts). Over the last few days I've noticed a lot of hair loss in a donor area. It seems to be growing. Anyone have some thoughts on this? From the photos I've seen online, it does't look like typical shock loss.

20160116_150636.jpg.736c346e145a08f956cd84332558ff36.jpg

20160115_205103.jpg.62778a8cd57f228551a55792c4a4caa5.jpg

If the hair started falling out right after your FUE surgery I'm pretty sure its shock loss.

I think you're panicking and thats why you're coming up with theories that are probably not true.

Its understandable though, I'd be panicking too

• Administrators

Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the hair, if you had this, you would've known by now, you'd have bald spots through out your scalp, take a look at this link, the shock loss picture listed resembles your bald spot.

Hair Restoration Blog » Blog Archive Mechanism of Shock Loss after Hair Transplant - Hair Restoration Blog

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi m8

Don't sweat it, I had shockloss like this over quite alot of the back of my head sceral patches like that,cleared up by a ring 4-5 months mark,no evidence of it now though! My Dr was quite shocked at the picture I sent him bur I didn't worry too much at the time as there healthy hairs which nearly always return!!! Time will sort it out!!

Hi m8

Don't sweat it, I had shockloss like this over quite alot of the back of my head sceral patches like that,cleared up by a ring 4-5 months mark,no evidence of it now though! My Dr was quite shocked at the picture I sent him bur I didn't worry too much at the time as there healthy hairs which nearly always return!!! Time will sort it out!!

Dr. Rahal says it only affects about 2% of his patients. That sounds a little low to me, but I suppose it could be true:

Is There Any Way to Predict or Avoid Hair Transplant Shock Loss? | Dr. Rahal

Hair Transplant Shock Loss Is Temporary in Most Cases

Hair transplant shock loss stories are terrifying. Patients have a hair transplant to make their hair loss situation better, and end up looking worse than they did before they had the hair transplant.

First, it’s important to understand that the rate of shock loss is only 1 to 2 % in our practice and that hair transplant shock loss is temporary in most cases (shocked hairs typically grow back between 3-6 months)

Edited by Dutchie

Pretty interesting, i talked to a couple of folks facing the same thing. It may depend on a docs extraction protoco, tools, extraction patterns, etcl. Some folks have similar domor patterns and areas were there is a distinct shockloss halo. It is too similar to be a rarity. Some docs say the areas grow back, but for some folks that spoke to me, it hasn't.

However, hopefully yours grows back. Some folks have been waiting for theirs to grow back whether it be 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, or a few years. Hopefully, everyone gets repaired. Smp shouldnt be the fixer for this as ot is unreliable and you have to do repeats. Preferrably, docs should extract other hairs from body and fill in areas they messed up in. I dont think it is much do to individual physiology because there would be minimum occurances. Fact is, it is happening and some may not know or be aware.

I hope you get this sorted out and hopefully it will be ok next few months! Did recommended docs insist it was alopecia? Best wishes