Trying to brave like the rest of you

Like most people who read this forum in secret I was not going to join but I feel we must all play a part and thank those who were brave enough not only to start this site but to all who participate.

After using Kirkland 5% Minoxidil for 6 months now (once per day) I have noticed that I am getting small scabs on my scalp and it has turned bright pink and I am very worried.

I am 53 years old I not noticed hair loss a few years back at the back which contributing to my high forehead has knocked my self esteem immensely. I first went to a clinic many years ago (mid 30’s) when I thought I would lose my hair a place in Birmingham but apart from the flannel and the infrared stuff they do I just felt like a paycheck and not one that I could afford so I lived with it..

Years later when I noticed I had lost a bit more I went to Boots who recommended their finerstride but I had some side effects and I stopped after about 8 months and no hair growth.

2 years ago my head scabbed over with funny looking white flecks presumably dead skin??? They all flaked off and I thought it was because of the shampoo products I was using.

I noticed my hair loss was worse so I changed shampoos 2 years ago to none sls type (Jasons) and although my hair feels cleaner and I do not shred as much it always seems lifeless and limp (no body)

In fact the latest Vitamin E version my hair seems to suck in like a vacuum!!!

Last year I went to a clinic in Cardiff but apart from being cajoled into buying expensive shampoo which made no difference and contains sls I got another infrared treatment and told not to eat cheese!!!

The last 6 months have seemed like hell the Minoxidil is unpleasant to use and my patch seems bigger and I cannot see any significant change in the mirror but sometimes when I rub my head I feel some sort of fuzz but not a lot and none that I can see that warrants notice and now my scalp is pink and sore

Sometimes I feel my problems maybe insignificant compared to others but any advice would be really welcome

My goals are to get my hair back via meds or applications or natural remedies. Will consider hair transplant as last resort but its cost and who is best etc. Too embarrassed to take photos.

Yes I am using the Kirkland 5% liquid but not sure about foam or if I should be using a higher percentage. ts now 4 weeks since I stopped and my scalp is feeling a bit better and not so sore!!

Like most people who read this forum in secret I was not going to join but I feel we must all play a part and thank those who were brave enough not only to start this site but to all who participate.

After using Kirkland 5% Minoxidil for 6 months now (once per day) I have noticed that I am getting small scabs on my scalp and it has turned bright pink and I am very worried.

I am 53 years old I not noticed hair loss a few years back at the back which contributing to my high forehead has knocked my self esteem immensely. I first went to a clinic many years ago (mid 30’s) when I thought I would lose my hair a place in Birmingham but apart from the flannel and the infrared stuff they do I just felt like a paycheck and not one that I could afford so I lived with it..

Years later when I noticed I had lost a bit more I went to Boots who recommended their finerstride but I had some side effects and I stopped after about 8 months and no hair growth.

2 years ago my head scabbed over with funny looking white flecks presumably dead skin??? They all flaked off and I thought it was because of the shampoo products I was using.

I noticed my hair loss was worse so I changed shampoos 2 years ago to none sls type (Jasons) and although my hair feels cleaner and I do not shred as much it always seems lifeless and limp (no body)

In fact the latest Vitamin E version my hair seems to suck in like a vacuum!!!

Last year I went to a clinic in Cardiff but apart from being cajoled into buying expensive shampoo which made no difference and contains sls I got another infrared treatment and told not to eat cheese!!!

The last 6 months have seemed like hell the Minoxidil is unpleasant to use and my patch seems bigger and I cannot see any significant change in the mirror but sometimes when I rub my head I feel some sort of fuzz but not a lot and none that I can see that warrants notice and now my scalp is pink and sore

Sometimes I feel my problems maybe insignificant compared to others but any advice would be really welcome

You should definitely get the recommendation of an expert in hair loss. Although minoxidil can offer benefits, you may have multiple issues, or you may have one issue. Your case should be reviewed, and you should get more than one opinion.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

My goals are to get my hair back via meds or applications or natural remedies. Will consider hair transplant as last resort but its cost and who is best etc. Too embarrassed to take photos.

Yes I am using the Kirkland 5% liquid but not sure about foam or if I should be using a higher percentage. ts now 4 weeks since I stopped and my scalp is feeling a bit better and not so sore!!

Hi upset53, thanks for sharing your story, looks to me like you have exhausted all avenues of a meds related comeback for your hair. I kind of went down the same route myself, I think at this stage you may be actually wasting your money on the meds and that same money could perhaps be put to greater use towards a hair transplant procedure.

I would suggest you contact a few clinics and get a few free consultations done taking into account always that the clinic will pressure you into a procedure you may well not need, you may not be able to afford, you may get cheaper and better quality result if you go abroad.

If you wish to anonymously post your pictures you can easily edit out your facial details, or just wear a pair of sunglasses and a scarf, you will get a much better opinion on where you stand with regards to your hair if forummers can view your pics.

If you wish to send the pics privately, them feel free to PM me with further details..

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Shera, with all due respect, its unfair to say that if he speaks with a clinic they will pressure him to get a procedure he doesnt need and as a result he'd be better off getting a procedure abroad. That statement is not accurate and sounds a little self-serving. I dont think many of the top North America or even Euro doctors would appreciate that.

All that being said, show us some pictures OP, it's ok. That's what the forum is for. We've all done it as scary as it can be. As for meds, I agree with Shera, at best you can hope for maintenance and minor growth. No med is going to bring it all back. Many have exhausted the same channels. If it really is bothering you It's probably time to consult a few physicians.

I dont think many of the top North America or even Euro doctors would appreciate that. .

The op is based in the UK I assume as he refers to Birmingham and Boots chemists, therefore if you read my comment again you will see that I was referring to some UK clinics, I was actually championing the North American and Euro clinics as they are the ones abroad in this context. I apologise for the confusion.

The op is based in the UK I assume as he refers to Birmingham and Boots chemists, therefore if you read my comment again you will see that I was referring to some UK clinics, I was actually championing the North American and Euro clinics as they are the ones abroad in this context. I apologise for the confusion.

Ah fair enough, just didnt want to scare him off as he seems a bit wary of surgery ;) Carry on.

Hi upset53, thanks for sharing your story, looks to me like you have exhausted all avenues of a meds related comeback for your hair. I kind of went down the same route myself, I think at this stage you may be actually wasting your money on the meds and that same money could perhaps be put to greater use towards a hair transplant procedure.

I would suggest you contact a few clinics and get a few free consultations done taking into account always that the clinic will pressure you into a procedure you may well not need, you may not be able to afford, you may get cheaper and better quality result if you go abroad.

If you wish to anonymously post your pictures you can easily edit out your facial details, or just wear a pair of sunglasses and a scarf, you will get a much better opinion on where you stand with regards to your hair if forummers can view your pics.

If you wish to send the pics privately, them feel free to PM me with further details..

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Thank you for the excellent advice and guidance

Funnily having giving things some thought as I think I panicked a bit yesterday in my wants and ambitions but just the feeling of live bouncy hair would be a good start and not flat and horrid and stopping and regrowing my bold patch would be great.

However having said that if I need to consider surgery so be it. I think you are right about talking to a Doctor first but I hate going to my local gp and trying to fit your one subject matter within a 30 second time frame and get all your questions answered I feel like on trial and irrelevant

Funnily having giving things some thought as I think I panicked a bit yesterday in my wants and ambitions but just the feeling of live bouncy hair would be a good start and not flat and horrid and stopping and regrowing my bold patch would be great.

However having said that if I need to consider surgery so be it. I think you are right about talking to a Doctor first but I hate going to my local gp and trying to fit your one subject matter within a 30 second time frame and get all your questions answered I feel like on trial and irrelevant

Hi Upset, I was actually recommending you talk to a Hair Transplant Doctor/Surgeon/Consultant rather than a GP. I would personally think that the world of hair transplantation is beyond the scope of knowledge required for a GP.

You could start with talking to someone who has actually been through the whole process and can answer some of the many concerns you may have. I'm sure there are many on this forum who would be more than happy to chat, myself included.

I got good results with the Hairmax laser comb...just doing the infrared treatments at home 3 times a week. My scalp almost instantly felt better and improved the health of my existing hair.

I doubt I grew any new hair, but kept me from losing what I had.

Sounds like this might be a good option given your past history.

• 3 weeks later...
I got good results with the Hairmax laser comb...just doing the infrared treatments at home 3 times a week. My scalp almost instantly felt better and improved the health of my existing hair.

I doubt I grew any new hair, but kept me from losing what I had.

Sounds like this might be a good option given your past history.

I have read about laser combs but a lot of them seem to do nothing so if you have anymore info please let me know

Hi Upset, I was actually recommending you talk to a Hair Transplant Doctor/Surgeon/Consultant rather than a GP. I would personally think that the world of hair transplantation is beyond the scope of knowledge required for a GP.

I disagree with this statement 100%!!!

Especially if you have a good relationship with your local GP, you should talk with your GP!!! Your GP most likely does not have a financial interest in trying to "sell" you a hair transplant and may be able to offer you an independent, completely objective opinion.

That said, I also would not rely solely on my GP, but I would talk to multiple doctors. Doctors are people, too, and have different insights - some of which might surprise you.

Once I had a doctor actually tell me one, "Oh, don't go to that dermatologist - he's a butcher!!!"

That was quite the tidbit of information that no doctor would publish publicly but might be more than willing to share with you privately, especially if you had a good relationship with the doctor.

I disagree with this statement 100%!!!

Especially if you have a good relationship with your local GP, you should talk with your GP!!! Your GP most likely does not have a financial interest in trying to "sell" you a hair transplant and may be able to offer you an independent, completely objective opinion.

That said, I also would not rely solely on my GP, but I would talk to multiple doctors. Doctors are people, too, and have different insights - some of which might surprise you.

Once I had a doctor actually tell me one, "Oh, don't go to that dermatologist - he's a butcher!!!"

That was quite the tidbit of information that no doctor would publish publicly but might be more than willing to share with you privately, especially if you had a good relationship with the doctor.

Thanks for the advice I think everyone should start at a local gp even if its only to get a check up and a referral