Transplant advice needed

I'm 33 and been considering a hair transplant for a while, but this year i'm determined to go ahead with the procedure.

I've had a few consultations and the doctors have said i'm a good candidate.

I've been using Minoxodil on my crown for about a year, which perhaps has thickened up the hair there.

Very reluctant/dead against using propecia.

Hair loss is kind of slow and steady I'd say.

Currently seriously considering having FUE in Turkey.

I feel i need to educate myself a bit more before i go ahead and i'd love to get people's opinion on my hair and what sort of result i could expect with an approximate amount of grafts.

image.thumb.jpg.a9ad4db467662d0098a7b395fddc1964.jpg

• Administrators

Could you post an overhead shot of your hair? it'll give us a better idea of your current hairloss, from the front, it looks like you might be Norwood 6, in my opinion, propecia is best used in the beginning of hair loss, basically once the miniataurization is too far along the medication will do very little, I know a lot of guys here will say finasteride or else, and that's true for very young guys with minimal loss, at age 33, your hairloss has probably been going on for over a decade, I feel the risk outweighs the reward, again I'm just basing this off of your one picture, the hairs are very thin and are most definitely on their way out. As for what you can expect, well that all depends on your current loss and donor density, if you look at my profile, I was Norwood 6 at age 29, I'll be 31 this year, my hairs not perfect but it's an improvement, most important thing is managing expectations, will you have Brad Pitt hair, unlikely, but you can still have descent hair that could look good with clever styling. I chose FUE because I wear my hair very short and a linear scar was not an option, if you don't care about a scar or you don't wear your hair short, FUT will give you more bang for your buck in terms of how many grafts you can get at once.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I chose FUE because I wear my hair very short and a linear scar was not an option, if you don't care about a scar or you don't wear your hair short, FUT will give you more bang for your buck in terms of how many grafts you can get at once.

165,747 posts about FUT vs FUE distilled into one run-on sentence.

There you go!:D

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
165,747 posts about FUT vs FUE distilled into one run-on sentence.

There you go!:D

Hey I used commas :P

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Hey I used commas :P

Well, yes, but since there was the intent to convey two independent clauses, it would have been better to use a coordinating conjunction.

Tsk tsk.:cool:

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators

The top pic looks like there's miniaturization through out your whole scalp, you still got a descent amount of hair though, take lipogaine and incorporate a dermaroller as well, initially I thought you were going to look worse based on your front pics, but I'd say it's best to plan for the worst so, expect to become Norwood 6 eventually especially with no propecia. If I were you I would work on the front third of the scalp, probably 2,500-2,700 grafts would work wonders, I'd leave the crown untouched and see how you respond to the minoxidil and dermaroller.

View my thread

I'm 33 and been considering a hair transplant for a while, but this year i'm determined to go ahead with the procedure.

I've had a few consultations and the doctors have said i'm a good candidate.

I've been using Minoxodil on my crown for about a year, which perhaps has thickened up the hair there.

Very reluctant/dead against using propecia.

Hair loss is kind of slow and steady I'd say.

Currently seriously considering having FUE in Turkey.

I feel i need to educate myself a bit more before i go ahead and i'd love to get people's opinion on my hair and what sort of result i could expect with an approximate amount of grafts.

Looks very similar to where I was.

I'd recommend trying small Propecia doses as it eliminates that "what if?" scenario later down the line as to whether you could have held on to your remaining hair.

3000-4000FUT could potentially look like you never lost a hair on your head.

2500FUE for a more conservative look and to see how it goes (growth is sometimes not as good).

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I was also surprised by the hair mass from the top down angle.

Depending on where you commence a new hairline, I would think you will need as much as 3500 grafts in the frontal zone. It will take many more single hair grafts when rebuilding a new hairline and why my estimate is higher.

I would definitely recommend that you build a mature placed hairline and then go a centimeter higher.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY