2,332 FUE w/ Dr Lorenzo - Jun 2014

squiggle

Hi – I had FUE done by Dr Lorenzo in Manchester late June 2014. I was 35 then. I had 2,312 grafts done in total. This was all done in one day. Dr Lorenzo did everything. Below are the stats I have:

Grafts: 2,332

Hairs: 5141

Hair/graft: 2.20

FU1: 361

FU2: 1,174

FU3: 756

FU4: 41

Hair Thickness: 63 microns (although this was one hair, not average)

Dr Lorenzo said my hair/graft ratio in the above was somewhat low because he had to harvest more than usual number of single grafts for hairline and temple

I had gone to Manchester once a few months prior to the FUE for a consult. The day after the FUE Dr Lorenzo also washed my hair day before I returned to London. The only thing which was surprising is that in the initial consult I was told the entire surgery would be done in 2 days, but then later they changed it to one day. I don’t know whether a 2 day surgery for 2,300 grafts would yield better results than if all was done in one day as it was done in my case.

Dr Lorenzo wanted the hairline to be a few milimeters higher but I asked not to move it higher. My forehead has always been large since a kid.

It’s now been more than 15 months. I have been somewhat disappointed with the results mainly because of density achieved. Today I want to improve the density in the forelock, gaps in my right temple area, and the area behind the leading edge on my right side. While I see a big difference between the before and after photos I need to address the above. I recently contacted Dr Lorenzo in Madrid (I now live in NYC) because I want to have another FUE done to improve results. This would be a 1,000 graft FUE on his suggestion. I have been on Fin for at least 15 years. I know I have a limited number of grafts left so with the additional 1,000 I would have spent 3,223 grafts. Dr Lorezno thinks I have 8k to be spent over a lifetime; although I wouldn’t be so generous with the estimate.

First 6 pictures were taken on the day of the FUE. The remainder was taken in August this year (so 14 months after FUE). I am showing the photos that portray the things that I want to address. For example you see that in one of the photos, when I brush my hair sideways, the low density area behind the right temple leading edge is visible. This is area that was not fully covered by the transplanted grafts. I am not faulting Dr Lorenzo for this. Also in other photos the low density in the forelock area is visible.

Some of weak native hairs might have suffered permanent shock loss from the trauma of the FUE. I may most probably have had more hair loss in the last 15 months. But in my temple areas, for example the right one, I didn’t have hairs to begin with and all hair there is transplanted. In the right temple area I can see some small bald pocket/gaps which may tell me something about the yield I have achieved. I have read the yield debate about FUE/strip but do not want the linear scar at the back of my head.

A few comments on my health. Last September I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC), and have read that the medication I take daily (apriso) causes hair loss in 3% of people.

Another random observation is that since last December I have had sporadic folliclitis on my scalp. These are confirmed by dermatologist and am using topical antibiotic for them. Initially I thought they appeared because of taking prednisone (for the UC) over two stretches last year (have read that prednisone can cause folliclitis) but I have not taken prednisone for 3 months now and the random instances of folliclitis are there. These happen on the donor site but also elsewhere (untouched areas by the FUE) so I don’t know what the reason is. I would need for these to stop to be able to do another FUE.

1AA250614L2_zpsb1efe3cc.jpg.fcdc5065bf1dad5b4915b50ba932b992.jpg

2AA250614T1_zpsbb912021.jpg.b790b7196cfce8d00a9eacd4fba5781a.jpg

4AA250614F2_zps86f26731.jpg.7c99816c0978298fd0224b67876fdc92.jpg

4AA250614L1_zps09c47cffA.jpg.06b155f388e5fe0ee448e5d808c9ade0.jpg

4AA250614L3_zpsfb6ed279A.jpg.4d84e7445e6ae79e32df554ae837228c.jpg

4AA250614P2_zps42d1d9e5A.jpg.a4af286ea21abaeb0c6172d10ecc4e0f.jpg

DSC01025-_zpshtyowlvi.jpg.d6dc7386cac5681193d2398abe82a5e9.jpg

DSC01026-_zpsvkuhiwfk.jpg.05a9c5835161df30ae19cc808f073c37.jpg

DSC01062-_zpss5xdztzx.jpg.4aec34ed8446d3009577680429ef31bf.jpg

DSC01067-_zpso3qfyxkt.jpg.a3f2423bb813ff8c3f7d683e63d730dd.jpg

DSC01200-_zpspftbukur.jpg.2c52fae14d27ecdd39bf93843f83260e.jpg

DSC01342__zps7dva5osr.jpg.c6bcbef645944ac75904e1bcc0ae3bc6.jpg

DSC01035-_zpsnkgitxa6.jpg.b6780680b14cc016981e8a241bf3a55d.jpg

Edited by squiggle

Hi squiggle,

When you mention folliclitis, do you mean pimples on your scalp, or another symptom?

About the HT, Looks pretty good. But yea, a touch up would probably do you right. Can I ask if your hairlines looks 100% natural in real life? Its a bit hard to tell from the photos. Do you notice people looking at it strangely at times or never? Thanks.

This appears a little disappointing. I don't think it has yielded more than about 70-75% in all honesty.

Why do I say that? Well, I have very similar hair characteristics but had 50% more hairs transplanted over an area about 50% bigger. So all things considered I'd expect your outcome to be similar.

However, yours really does seem to be lacking in density. Especially strange that he only used 350 singles in the hairline (I had 1350!).

You should ask the doc what he thinks of the yield.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

This appears a little disappointing. I don't think it has yielded more than about 70-75% in all honesty.

Why do I say that? Well, I have very similar hair characteristics but had 50% more hairs transplanted over an area about 50% bigger. So all things considered I'd expect your outcome to be similar.

However, yours really does seem to be lacking in density. Especially strange that he only used 350 singles in the hairline (I had 1350!).

You should ask the doc what he thinks of the yield.

I agree with This.

I am booked with lorenzo in 10 days so its a bit disapointed to see the lack of density.

Thanks for the comments.

MAGNUMpi yes folliclitis looks like pimples; they're an inflammation. No one notices the hair is different but some barbers can tell (one).

1978Matt / johnny2000 / SunSeeker – . It is no surprise that I am dissatisfied with the results. If this is all due to my own make-up, then I accept it, as there’s nothing I can do. The amount of hairs at the 2 weeks mark was considerably higher than what I have today. Regarding Dr Lorenzo’s opinion he said “The final outcome is around 80%”.

Hi Squiggle,

Do you have any top down pics pre op? That will help us to make a better judgement.

Whilst I think you should have better density, I do think there is a nice cosmetic improvement here.

Your temple points look very nice and frame your face and your hairline design is good.

Bear in mind also that you probably had at least 200 grafts per temple point, which would leave you with 1900 grafts for the Frontal third. You are in very good hands and I'm sure 1000 grafts will get you nice density.

Out of interest, since you have been on finasteride for 15 years, have you noticed its effectiveness declining?

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Far from a failed result, but with your problems and the other things you documented i really don't think there is any way you can know how much of an influence that had on the final outcome.

How did you feel about your HT at 8 months? has it gotten worse looking recently?

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Thanks for the comments.

MAGNUMpi yes folliclitis looks like pimples; they're an inflammation. No one notices the hair is different but some barbers can tell (one).

1978Matt / johnny2000 / SunSeeker – . It is no surprise that I am dissatisfied with the results. If this is all due to my own make-up, then I accept it, as there’s nothing I can do. The amount of hairs at the 2 weeks mark was considerably higher than what I have today. Regarding Dr Lorenzo’s opinion he said “The final outcome is around 80%”.

Could the barber tell that it was a hair transplant?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

splitting hairs – Thanks. I can see there has been a cosmetic improvement but not the improvement that I was after. If I had 50,000 grafts to spare I wouldn’t care as I would do HT after HT, but I am being forced to spend another 1,000 to get a decent result. I agree on the temple peaks, that they would have cost 200 grafts each and so about 1,900 has been used for the top. The yield in the temple peaks is also low, but at this stage I am not bothered about them because as long as they frame my face to some degree (which they do) I’m fine.

For Fin, I just don’t know how it would have turned because I have been on it continually (there was a time a few years back when I stopped for a couple of months but didn’t notice anything drastic other the usual gradual hair loss). One sign that Fin might have worked is that my crown is fine and doesn’t need HY, and I have read that Fin works better on the crown that on the front.

I have attached three top and front views pre-HT (the day of FUE).

Petchski – Thanks. For me results didn’t materialise until late. I remember at 6 ? months I wrote to Dr Lorenzo that I was seeing little results and he asked to wait. I can’t find a photo at 8 month mark but I have attached two at 6 1/2 mark. I do have the sinking feeling that on my right side there has been deterioration. I think in the forelock area too, but in the forelock I had some native hairs to begin with so they may have fallen out but in the right temple area all hair is transplanted and although I can’t monitor every millimeter there are a couple of pockets which I think weren’t there before. I might be imagining this owing to my fallible memory but still.

delancey - yes the barber asked if i had done anything and i told him. Three others didn't ask though.

2AA250614F2_zpsf7b9163e.jpg.465700aa618c1a9cd0753440e0432f0a.jpg

1AA250614S2_zps348a6e89.jpg.4fd101ba273c5b4b1ab4a79ddb9bcc53.jpg

2AA250614S1_zps2449a2c6.jpg.3351a70aa24a6e944d946c0a8df031ce.jpg

20150107_233051a.jpg.8d07a328f60d67db753ec4570c441409.jpg

20150107_232950.jpg.05767e6963222421cd366b2b8e37cfb3.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns. You must have been a slow grower, as i can see why you were concerned at month 6.

I have a HT booked with Dr L in December, i asked him about how many grafts he can do in a day, and he said it depends on the scalp, but 2000/2500 tops.

You never know your hair may improve again over the next couple of months if you've been off the meds for a while...

Are you going back to Dr L for your second procedure?

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns. You must have been a slow grower, as i can see why you were concerned at month 6.

I have a HT booked with Dr L in December, i asked him about how many grafts he can do in a day, and he said it depends on the scalp, but 2000/2500 tops.

You never know your hair may improve again over the next couple of months if you've been off the meds for a while...

I'm booked in with Dr L in December also. When are you going & are you staying in the Amura?

Hi mate,

Yes the clinic booked me in for two days free hotel as part of the price, nice 4 star hotel, looks really nice from the pictures online. I'm flying out 30th Nov day before the procdure to have a meet with Dr L, then 1st Dec is the procedure, im staying on a couple of extra days and flying back the 4th Dec.

How about you?

I really don't think my hair will improve if left untouched. I have not been off the meds. I have been continuing taking the Fin. I have been in touch with Dr L and am considering going to Madrid in April or May (haven't booked yet). I suggested to him 500 grafts; but he said let's do 1,000. From now till April/May I will also see how things progress. I have also been in touch with Dr Konior, however from what I could sense he ever so slightly leaned on strip and said that it would yield great results in my case.

The reason the question on 1-day vs 2-day surgery is bugging me is that when i look at my head the yield on the left side is better than the right side and front. Now i don't remember which side was done first. But if the left side was done first, then that side would have received the follicles that had been out of the body the shortest amount of time, and it supports the idea that the shorter the period the grafts are out of the body the better the yield. I don’t want to jump to conclusions because I don’t remember which side was done first, and also that I had more hair on my left side to begin with, so this may all be just guesswork and imagination.

How many grafts are going for in Dec? For me the planning part of the trip is mostly being able to take time off work. Last time I took two weeks off. This time I'm trying to limit that just take a week.

I meant the antibiotics meds, but in all likelihood the chances for regrowth are remote.

I found from my first HT that my left side was did not grow as well as the right, and it's not too uncommon for HT patients to have one side a bit better than the other, be it strip or FUE, and i'm sure Dr L knows how long he can safely have the grafts out the body for before implanting, but it is interesting as to why one side may be bette tthan the other, i've seen some people say it could be to do with which side you lay your head when sleeping has an effect, but there is no scientific basis to any of that. Maybe one side has better blood supply, so many unknowns...

I think you may as well go for 1000 grafts, that makes sense to me, and will have more of a cosmetic effect. I've been quoted 2000 grafts..

If the scar will never be a bother to you, and you'll never just quit bothering with your hair and want to shave it off and be bald, then strip is an option...but i would not do strip for a 1000 grafts.

Hi squiggle. Thank you for commenting back. sorry that you are not happy with everything. I've now heard a few really repected fue clinics on this forum tell patients their fue results had 80% growth or yield. they seem to say it really fast and I'm wondering if this kind of growth or yield (i think they are same thing) is really normal for fue.

I came to the forums a while back to see about getting fue, but im less sure now and dont feel comfortable doing it right now.

FUE for me?? Maybe???

Hi squiggle. Thank you for commenting back. sorry that you are not happy with everything. I've now heard a few really repected fue clinics on this forum tell patients their fue results had 80% growth or yield. they seem to say it really fast and I'm wondering if this kind of growth or yield (i think they are same thing) is really normal for fue.

I came to the forums a while back to see about getting fue, but im less sure now and dont feel comfortable doing it right now.

FUE for me?? Maybe???

• 2 weeks later...

Guys it is common for FUE to have a higher transgression rate than FUT (look at all the research in this forum and other literature)

you will notice than very reputable doctors (feller, Path, Diep) still defend FUT when appropriate, and the

survival rate of the grafts is the main reason.

Just about to start consulting Lorenzo all the way from Australia.

My biggest concern: Damage my existing hair; i have successfully kept a very good coverage using Minox and proscar (with discipline) over 10 years or more...

Trying to see how much is going to cost me since i have to go all the way to Europe! :(