Scabbing after FUE hair transplant

Hi. I have recently (1 week ago) had the FUE hair transplant and the transplanted follicles have now "scabbed" so I have lots of brown dots on the scalp. The doctor transplanted 2150 grafts but if I count the dots, it looks a lot less. I asked the doctor and he said up to 1/3 of the grafts don't clot so don't show a scab, hence won't appear as a brown dot.

Does anyone know if this is correct and true?

I agree a picture would be helpful. In the meantime, I would trust what the doctor told you and not over think it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Anytime an incision is made into flesh or scalp tissue, a scab is going to form. However, sometimes the scab is so tiny that it can be hard to see.

But crusts however are not scabs but rather dried graft tissue that protrudes above the scalp line. The crusts are the tips of the grafts and become hard and look brown or greyish in color because they are dead tissue not dried up blood such as a scab. So probably what you are seeing are the crusts.

Also, anywhere grafts are placed there should be corresponding incisions (recipient sites) made to accommodate the placement of those grafts.

It is always a good idea to communicate with the surgeon and techs upfront to document in your chart how many grafts were placed by number and size. In other words, how many singles, doubles, etc., were placed and the recipient zone where they were placed. They should be able to show and document the exact placement and total count of all grafts once the procedure is completed.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

counting the "dots" don't necessarily add up to your graft count - those grafts were cut up into 1, 2, 3 or 4 hair follicular units, you need to ask your doctor or clinic for your final hair count ..

how many's 1's, 2's, 3's, etc.

And if they cannot show you the final count and where they were placed, something's definitely wrong...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Anytime an incision is made into flesh or scalp tissue, a scab is going to form. However, sometimes the scab is so tiny that it can be hard to see.

But crusts however are not scabs but rather dried graft tissue that protrudes above the scalp line. The crusts are the tips of the grafts and become hard and look brown or greyish in color because they are dead tissue not dried up blood such as a scab. So probably what you are seeing are the crusts.

Also, anywhere grafts are placed there should be corresponding incisions (recipient sites) made to accommodate the placement of those grafts.

It is always a good idea to communicate with the surgeon and techs upfront to document in your chart how many grafts were placed by number and size. In other words, how many singles, doubles, etc., were placed and the recipient zone where they were placed. They should be able to show and document the exact placement and total count of all grafts once the procedure is completed.

Read somewhere that crusting should be prevented because once they form, they can develop the "force" to pull grafts out of the recipient. Is this true? Sounds a bit far fetched.

Read somewhere that crusting should be prevented because once they form, they can develop the "force" to pull grafts out of the recipient. Is this true? Sounds a bit far fetched.

I believe it's the actual scabs that run the risk of dislodging the grafts, and this is only for the first 10 days. After that, studies show that the grafts are completely secure. The crusts are normal and as long as you're washing/caring for your scalp the way you're instructed to by your surgeon, they should be non-problematic as well.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56