Miniaturization Detectable to the Eye? Touch?

Lately I've been doing hair inventory every time I shower, tracking number of hairs fallen among other things, one of which is miniaturization progression. Should it be clear to the eye if the hair is significantly miniaturized? How bout to the touch, i.e. when run between the lips? I probably sound like one of those guys who stresses about every hair that falls but I'm just trying to learn as much about how I am progressing, the effects of propecia, etc. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Miniaturization is very difficult to see with the "naked eye" and especially in the beginning stages. This is why some docs utilize microscopic examinations which will show the effects of miniaturization and where it is impeding on the scalp.

A layman's way of checking it is to simply take some samples of terminal hair in the donor (occipital) zone and then some samples in a typical thinning area where most men start losing hair or the zones where MPB is typically impacting.

Simple lay the hair samples where you think miniaturization is taking place next to the terminal hair samples under a cheap magnifying glass that you can purchase at a dollar store or Wal-Mart. You can then slightly begin to lift the magnifying glass slightly up which will empower what you are viewing. You should definitely see some differences in hair shaft diameter if there is any diffusion and some miniaturization taking place.

Hair diffusion is easier to see than miniaturization but the point is that you will see differences in hair shaft diameter if it's going on.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have a pretty good head of hair, at least for now, and I have variations of shafts diameter throughout my head including the donor, and have had for years. Could be the fin holding things off or it could that some people have variations in shafts diameter that dosent mean androgenic alopecia. My wife has some variation as well. The areas that I do have miniaturization for sure, in my corners, I can tell best by parting the hair and I can see small short fine hairs (more than anywhere else).

A real miniaturization test is the best way to go, but since I take fin and Rogaine and have already had a procedure, there isn't much left to do so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Doctors look for definite patterns of hair shaft variations. While it is true that we all have some variations in our scalps, there are definite strong or measurable differentials in hair shaft diameter in the areas where MPB is impacting.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I agree. By the time it is noticeable to the naked eye, it has already progressed to a stage of diffusion.

Miniaturization and diffusion are completely two different things.

Gillenator