Transplant for NW6 without Finasteride?

sheraz104

Depends. How old are you? Has your hairloss stabilised? How many grafts you reckon you've still got there for extraction (fue or strip?)?

The real answer, though, is get a consultation with few good surgeons to see what's achievable. If what they can achieve matches your expectation then it's worth looking into further.

Depends. How old are you? Has your hairloss stabilised? How many grafts you reckon you've still got there for extraction (fue or strip?)?

The real answer, though, is get a consultation with few good surgeons to see what's achievable. If what they can achieve matches your expectation then it's worth looking into further.

Very sound advice. +1

• Administrators

If you're a Norwood 6 or Norwood 5 it's pointless to risk propecia, the risks outweigh the benefit in my opinion, I think finasteride is best used with guys that have a lot of hair to lose, if you're Norwood 6 you don't have anymore hair, so the only thing you risk is your sides dropping, which could be reinforced so that it doesn't become an issue if that should occur. From your account you're really young and listed as Norwood 3, I think in your case you could try it at a low dose to make sure you don't get sides, but you definitely want to stabilize your hair, the more hair you lose, the more surgery will cost you, and the bigger chance you won't be happy with the results. Get on minoxidil, it works and doesn't cause sexual side effects.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Nope, it is a great idea to try propecia at NW5 or NW6. A NW5 has a LOT to lose. Your sides can drop, your crown can widen, your donor can thin out, not to mention you can get bad shock loss when you're not on meds.

Finasteride is a truly amazing drug that should be tried before attempting surgery.

• Administrators

Norwood 5 or 6 is bald regardless your still bald, saving a few hairs on your head at the risk of becoming permanently impotent is ill advised. The majority of guys don't see any regrowth, so here's the pro: you keep your sides high (still bald) con: permanently impotent and still bald. Of course this doesn't happen every time but we're talking about weighing pro's and cons.

Also, a Norwood 6 already has an expanded crown the only thing that separates them from Norwood 7 is the sides.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

No its not, even if you have a lot of hair loss, there is more you can lose. Some people might be happy to take that risk, I sure am. Plus the risk of impotence is quite low.

You may think the risk is not worth it, but it isn't about what you think. It may be your opinion but it is not everybody else's.

If you're facing aggressive hair loss, and you get an HT without fin, that hair is going to look weird when your native hair falls out.

No its not, even if you have a lot of hair loss, there is more you can lose. Some people might be happy to take that risk, I sure am. Plus the risk of impotence is quite low.

Problem is, we don't know how low it is. We were told two percent, but of course, that's a self-serving figure that's been challenged with some considerable evidence. And the other part is the potential permanence of the side effects.

You may think the risk is not worth it, but it isn't about what you think. It may be your opinion but it is not everybody else's.

That's true. Everyone has to make the decision for himself.

If you're facing aggressive hair loss, and you get an HT without fin, that hair is going to look weird when your native hair falls out.

Truth is, if you're "facing aggressive hair loss," no drug in the world is going to keep hair on your head for too long. People in that category are generally not good candidates for a hair transplant anyway.

Not true, if you're facing aggressive hair loss, fin is quite effective. And even if it just slows down the whole process, it's a massive boost compared to going straight to NW7.

Anyways, point is, each guy has to make his own decision. All drugs have side effects, it's reality.

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this thread was to get opinions, as someone who's Norwood 6 and has had a hair transplant I think I'm qualified in giving my opinion, not sure what makes you more qualified have you had a hair transplant? The only hairloss that really matters is Norwood 2-4 that's the range that's still salvageable and worth saving, above that you're bald, it is not wise to risk your sexual health for a minuscule amount of hair. This is my advice as someone who's Norwood 6 and has had a hair transplant, at Norwood 6 you don't have to get on propecia as long as you plan your hair transplant wisely and you have realistic expectations. Plus minoxidil works quite well.

View my thread

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this thread was to get opinions, as someone who's Norwood 6 and has had a hair transplant I think I'm qualified in giving my opinion, not sure what makes you more qualified have you had a hair transplant? The only hairloss that really matters is Norwood 2-4 that's the range that's still salvageable and worth saving, above that you're bald, it is not wise to risk your sexual health for a minuscule amount of hair. This is my advice as someone who's Norwood 6 and has had a hair transplant, at Norwood 6 you don't have to get on propecia as long as you plan your hair transplant wisely and you have realistic expectations. Plus minoxidil works quite well.

Again i see KO is beating the "get on fin or you are doomed" drum. I'm wondering if he works for Merck every response he has involves get on FIN

• Administrators
Again i see KO is beating the "get on fin or you are doomed" drum. I'm wondering if he works for Merck every response he has involves get on FIN

You're not the only who's wondered that lol, did you get your HT yet?

View my thread

The purpose of this thread was to get information, not to hear your personal decision on taking it, because guess what, this isn't about YOU. If you don't want the risk, don't take it, just don't go lying to others about efficacy as you have done or constant,y parroting your personal decision as fact.

Why wouldn't i? Finasteride is a great drug that works to stop hair loss with a low incidence of side effects. If you can't accept that, too bad.

KO, do you think fin has helped you in retaining, keeping and growing hair? Looking at your pics which you posted on 04/03/2013 and then looking at your pics which you posted on the 10/10/2014 , your hair loss seems to have progressed? I assume you have been on fin all this time?

Yes, it has definitely helped retain my hair. I do not believe it has progressed significantly, if it has progressed, it's done so at a significantly slower rate than what was happening before, those sets of photos were with different lighting situations, first set with webcam. No new growth though.

• Administrators
The purpose of this thread was to get information, not to hear your personal decision on taking it, because guess what, this isn't about YOU. If you don't want the risk, don't take it, just don't go lying to others about efficacy as you have done or constant,y parroting your personal decision as fact.

What information have you provided? You're just regurgitating information straight out of a commercial. When did I say finasteride wasn't effective? If you're going to lie about what I said I'd like you to quote my comment where I said finasteride is not effective, I said "most do not see regrowth" which is true studies show the majority of guys see no change, which in itself technically is effective if your hairloss does not progress, go back to my comments and you'll see I said " in my opinion" it's not my fault you have poor reading comprehension. If you're going to respond to this I want you to answer two questions, have you had a transplant? And are you a Norwood 6?

I've had a transplant and am a Norwood 6 and don't take finasteride in speaking from firsthand experience, I'm not just regurgitating infomercials without backing it up with my own firsthand experience.

View my thread

I could tell the lightning was different between the two photo sets. I think you got on it too late. If you was an NW4, I am sure fin would have helped in growing the crown/vertex areas. I just hit 2 years on fin and the crown/vertex are much fuller

I could tell the lightning was different between the two photo sets. I think you got on it too late. If you was an NW4, I am sure fin would have helped in growing the crown/vertex areas. I just hit 2 years on fin and the crown/vertex are much fuller

Nah I experimented with fin earlier and didn't see regrowth, so I got off (stupid), in the years later it accelerated, oh well, live and learn.

But yes, earlier is always better, needless to say, you can see why I hold the views I do.

Never mind. What has been done, has been done. Upwards and forward to the future!

Funny thing with my fin usage; all my brothers and my father have double swirls in our crowns. Even my little brother who is 7 has it and looks like he is balding, but he aint as he is only 7! Lol. Fin gave me my double swirls back. I had these swirls in my younger days and was amazed to see them again in my current age

HTsoon shares my opinion on propecia for class 6. The horse has left the barn. No point in closing the gate now. Should have closed it, or considered meds long before that stage.

As to the interpersonal banter...I'll stay out of that, but my 2 cents are why spend the money for tree grow, when all you have there is a grassy field...

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr Lindsey, have you actually taken a look at the patient's photos? Even a NW6 pattern may show hair in the nonpermanent zone, and he also has sides that can collapse, so he has a lot to lose, this is very different from a NW7, whose parietal humps have disappeared.

• Administrators
HTsoon shares my opinion on propecia for class 6. The horse has left the barn. No point in closing the gate now. Should have closed it, or considered meds long before that stage.

As to the interpersonal banter...I'll stay out of that, but my 2 cents are why spend the money for tree grow, when all you have there is a grassy field...

Dr. Lindsey

Good analogy

View my thread