Experience with MSM & Biotin after Fue?

Some guys state they experience faster growth of these supplements and better hair quality.

I used them myself but did not notice any real differences as compared to my procedures not using them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks gillenator,

I appreciate the reply. I am ok with trying it and it not working (and wasting my money and time). I am mostly worried if using them could actually harm new grafts (the yield from the recent procedure).

U have used biotin and MSM in the past but at different times.. I did notice fast hair growth with Biotin, but cannot remember if MSM did anything except faster nail growth lol... I started using both post op, but I have stopped MSM, as it may have caused some esophageal irritation due to the large pills..... I am taking a break from it for now to see if my irritation gets better in the next couple of weeks.... hopefully it does, because for those who have experienced any kind of esophageal ulcer due to pills, it is quite annoying.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the reply Seth. Have never used it before, hoping it can speed up my hair growth to cover my strip scar after being shaved for a recent fue.

farmcat

how did your scar turnout eventually . I have a strip scar as well and recently went through FUE (which also filled in some hair into that scar) .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortune11......I have never had any grafts put into my scar (yet, don't know if I ever will?).....when I said about my hair covering my scar I mean the hair above it growing long enough to cover it.....my strip scar is pretty bad.....it's fairly wide and from ear to ear.....I had FUT in the early 90's by Dr. Sunseri (an associate of Dr Brandy in Pittsburgh).....I wasn't impressed with either Brandy or Sunseri.....that was before the internet so there wasn't much of a way of researching Dr's like today.....when my hair is long enough you can't see my strip scar......I recently had two fue procedures with Dr Lorenzo in Spain.....the results from the first one were great and the second procedure is still coming in (I just passed 5 months)

Thx farmcat . What I mean was how long after the shaved scar and donor area (for the fue procedure) did your hair grow enough to be able to conceal the scar . Also , did you use any hair concealer products in the meantime or were you ok w the scar being exposed ?

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

How wide do you think the scar is if you don't mind my asking?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I am just guessing but I would say it is close (a little thinner) to the width of an eraser on a regular #2 pencil and goes from ear to ear.....it is also raised up a little bit as I can completely feel it along it's entire length if I run my finger along it.....the hair below my scar is also much thinner than the hair above my scar.....I have had two different doctors (who weren't involved in this strip surgery) tell me they don't think the surgery caused the hair below the scar to become thin, but it's just odd that there is such difference in hair thickness that directly follows above and below the scar.

As I said, this surgery was performed in (around) 1991.....the strip scars I have seen on here are night and day compared to the scar I have.

If this goes back to a procedure back in 1991, the thinned out area just below the scar is obviously not a case of temporary shock loss. Would it be possible to put up some photos of the area? You would probably need some help pulling the hair back so the scar would be visible.

Just wondering how raised the scar is and I would not recommend you doing a scar revision because it could potentially come out worse than it is right now.

It may however be possible to add some FUE grafts to the scar but I would get multiple opinions from several proven FUE surgeons beforehand.

If you do not plan on buzzing the area real short, then you can successfully hide the scar by keeping the hair length in the back adequate to hide it.

Gillenator

I have had Fue from Dr. Lorenzo and might have some decent pics from after my head was shaved, I will have to look.....Dr. Lorenzo talked about using beard hair in my scar....he mentioned around 700 grafts.....I don't know if I will do that or not......I do keep my hair longer (I have to just to cover the thinner hair at my bottom hairline) so it isn't a huge issue for me but I do wish it wasn't there.

Although I would never consider using beard hair in my hairline, it can potentially be very beneficial in scars...just wish there were more pics of scars being repaired with beard grafts.

Gillenator