Tried saw palmetto, had side effect scare, does that mean i shouldn't try propecia?

mjohnson30

So I'm 21 and i took saw palmetto twice a day for about a year, and towards the end of the year the size of my erections seem to be lower. Seemed almost like a blood pressure thing.

With this in mind, do you guys think it would be foolish to try propecia?

My hair is a solid NW2, but what bothers me is the thinness i have at my sideburns, above my ears and my hairline in the back of my head. I feel like that stuff got thinner after i stopped saw palmetto.

Hi mjohnson30

Saw palmetto is a 5-alpha reductase Inhibitor, just like finasteride. If you got side effects from saw palmetto, I suspect you're at risk for side effects from finasteride too.

I talk to quite a few guys who've experienced PFS side effects from saw palmetto, and in fact I'm working with a group of them to help expand the definition of PFS and spread awareness. My suspicion is people are opting for it as an alternative to finasteride, mistakenly assuming because it's natural, it's therefore safe.

Here's an interesting article on the topic: Saw Palmetto and Testosterone: Potent DHT Blocker

Online Patient Advisor for Dr. Bijan Feriduni, Coalition Member

My opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent that of Dr. Feriduni's.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I experienced ball ache the first few weeks of using SP... also after about a year of consistent use, I started to develop the anxiety that has been known to be a SE of FIN. Once I stopped the SP, the anxiety immediately ceased. I never had and sexual side effects though.

Yes indeed, you will definitely get worser side effects from Finasteride if you already had side effects from Saw Palmetto as its a harsher 5-alpha reductase Inhibitor that's why it works better when it comes to results.

I luckily didnt get sides from Standardized Saw Palmetto extract 320mg a day but I had horrible sides from Finasteride although I had amazing hair results from it :(

By the way, what was your saw palmetto dosage??? :confused:

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

• 2 months later...