What is my Norwood scale?

abbyaddy

Hi guyz,

I'm 25 and gradually losing my hair for last 5 years. I did not pay any attention before but now things are looking quite serious especially at my crown area.

I m not under any treatment.

What do you think my level of baldness is? Is it MPB?

I had lots of hair fall during my graduation 3-4 years back (lots of late night studies) but now there is no excessive hair fall but hair thinning is still going on.

Should I go for HT? or Is it too early for HT and first try other treatments like minoxidil?

Thanks

20150807_002.jpg.04a6bbd1fbca628e3a7615b0499f3e67.jpg

20150807_003.jpg.52a6495c4728d787aeedc7f1f2d4abc4.jpg

20150807_005.jpg.bab061e22e817207bbbb19c48218b008.jpg

20150809_008.jpg.b5d50ad48c871661e992cf10905f719b.jpg

20150823_006.jpg.c2a6cb90151cd90db4f925f15996ce76.jpg

20150823_007.jpg.cce42b3ca9bf142e482e9cd5e8a34d6b.jpg

20150823_011.jpg.a01afdb12fdd7489231b819564fe0285.jpg

20150823_015.jpg.0afd56269ef7a10e797675452046091a.jpg

Hi.

The Crown is certainly thinning and the top looks like it may well follow, research propecia/proscribed and the possible associated side effects, the drug works best on the crown area and may stabilise your loss on top if your lucky!! In the year it takes to see any results from propecia you can research hair restoration on here and decide if that's the route you want to follow, don't rush in, RESEARCH!!!! Also minoxidil can be added which can help with hair growth, you will have to apply twice daily to the scalp, but again can have positive results!!! Again research this site!!

It would appear that without medication intervention you are heading for Norwood 6/7 looking at the pattern of balding from the top.

You can certainly slow down and perhaps stop some advances. If needed you could get a HT further down the line. For now I would get on the meds and see if it improves or just maintains what you have already.

Its good to get intervention at this point !

• Administrators

Honestly I don't see the Norwood 6 or 7 pattern, most men who go Norwood 6 or 7 are diffuse thinners where you could visibly see the pattern, I'd say you're a Norwood 3V, I personally recommend trying lipogaine and nizoral shampoo, you can try finasteride but be very careful, at 25 your sexual health is 1000000000x more important than hair. Also combining the dermaroller with lipogaine has shown some good improvement. I'd wait maybe 3 years once you've stabilized your hairloss before getting a procedure. You still have a lot of hair this is the stage you want to fight hairloss, you can still retain most of your hair if you start right now.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The NW scale is an interesting tool. Mainly because it really can -- and should -- be used for two different classifications: where you are now and where you are likely headed.

As to where you are now? I'd say, like HTsoon said above, somewhere in the 3V - 4V category.

As to where you are headed? There does seem to be some pretty diffuse thinning throughout the midscalp. However, I don't see much along the lateral humps/fringes -- making NW 6 less likely. This would make me believe that NW 5 may be somewhere in your future. But you could hold onto that forelock in the front as well -- and there isn't a great classification for this; I suppose NW 5V would be the closest.

Remember, however, that MPB is so unpredictable. You could start to shed rapidly and progress to a NW 5. Or you may stabilize and spend decades at your current level.

I recommend researching preventive treatments (thoroughly and carefully) and undergoing an in-person evaluation with a hair loss doctor.

Good luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I had a similar pattern when I was in my early 20s . I can see you are starting to "diffuse out " radiating from the crown. If I had to guess, eventual NW 5 for sure, NW 6 likely .

You may want to take meds to stabilize hair loss. At your age I was more concerned about the side effects and I chose not to.

You definitely need to plan conservatively if you decide to start down the HT path . Also know that transplanting into existing hair very likely to result in permanent shock loss of some existing hair around it, especially if you are not on meds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No surgery. Pursue medical therapy first so that you can maintain your hair loss as it progresses. At 25, you should be using concealers and meds once you begin worrying to the point that you must go something to improve the appearance of your hair. You want to stabilize before moving on to surgical means of hair restoration. Take your time...

Click here - Free photo consultation with Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians