What's next after a failed FUE

milanello

Hey Guys,

12months passed since my FUE surgery in Budapest.

Unfortunately it did not turn out a succes story of a man who got his look,confidence back :)

So, I would like to ask for some suggestion what to do next.

2800 grafts were used or I'd rather say at least a half of them were wasted at my first surgery.

I can not say I do not feel better,and my appaerance has not changed a bit,but the result is far from what I expected.

I want to fix this,and seeking for the best options.

I'm wondering I maybe should wait another year or two and see how is my hairloss going and do the second procedure when it is already inevitable.

Currently if i style it right, even this messed up work gives an acceptable coverege.

2600 precious grafts were wasted at my first surgery and I'm only 26years old.

In my family there is no significant hair loss.

Maternal grandfather is nw1, Paternal grandfather and my father is nw2,my grandfather who is 74 is maybe nw3. He has 3 brothers,all of them are nw2-nw3.

I have been on fin for 1 year,I do not know it is working or not.

I would appreaciate every tips,suggestions how to manage this issue.

(First picture is 2months after FUE, here you can see how my hairline looked like before the transplant.

Second-Third and last pictures are 1year after FUE.

Fourth,Fifth are the vertex area. I still can not decide if it is thinning out or not.

With harsh light it looks like it is thinning,but in normal light I'm not sure. I always had the spin at the top of my head so it has never been covered totally.)

IMG_2245.jpg.2c8b2d0a08c83ac36db16f84723f5f6e.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg.7eb1f993e7842657dad7b4684ff5be98.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg.235745838cc2abc58889b7ce8f09308e.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg.72464c4dacf44d51fddc2f989180390c.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg.41d42e9f297f30ede72d1c03ce6dad6b.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg.b0a2551a632548df42dec9d725309902.jpg

Mil,

Sorry to hear you're not satisfied.

I think your options are:

1) A second procedure

2) A combination of buzzing and possibly augmenting with SMP

The limiting factor with option 1 will be the condition of your donor after the first FUE procedure. FUE causes a diffuse, subdermal scarring that can make subsequent FUE sessions much more variable. If you had poor yield from the first procedure, this one may actually be less than the first. The other option, of course, is strip. But this does leave the linear scar, and its absence was probably your reason for going the FUE route in the first place. I think you'd have a much greater return from a strip procedure opposed to a second FUE, but both are technically options.

As far as option 2 is concerned, you probably weren't looking to shave your head after your hair transplant procedure. And this may be an unacceptable option because of this.

Feel free to ask any additional questions! Good luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey Guys,

Unfortunately it did not turn out a succes story of a man who got his look,confidence back :)

2800 grafts were used or I'd rather say at least a half of them were wasted at my first surgery.

I can not say I do not feel better,and my appaerance has not changed a bit,but the result is far from what I expected.

I'm wondering I maybe should wait another year or two and see how is my hairloss going and do the second procedure when it is already inevitable.

Currently if i style it right, even this messed up work gives an acceptable coverege.

Maternal grandfather is nw1, Paternal grandfather and my father is nw2,my grandfather who is 74 is maybe nw3. He has 3 brothers,all of them are nw2-nw3.

(First picture is 2months after FUE, here you can see how my hairline looked like before the transplant.

Fourth,Fifth are the vertex area. I still can not decide if it is thinning out or not.

With harsh light it looks like it is thinning,but in normal light I'm not sure. I always had the spin at the top of my head so it has never been covered totally.)

Lower yields from FUE are the norm in hair transplantation. This is due to the excess trauma that FUE places on the grafts. Some grafts can tolerate the extra stress, some can't as you found out. I've had many patients present to my office in your situation. I think doing a second FUE is a mistake since your first one did not work out so well.

I would recommend you switch to FUT. This will be more a more delicate surgery and exert far less stress on you follicles. Place 1500 on the hairline and just behind and you should be right as rain. If you can get more than that, go for it.

Best to you and your hair.

Dr. Feller

Hey Guys,

Proceed with caution with whatever you decide. If you go FUE, go for a repair procedure with less grafts and break it up uf you need to. Be careful of having grafts placed in recipient scar tissue regardless of the surgical method. Wish you the best.

First of all,thank you for all the advice and opinions.

I have not tought about FUT before,becouse of the permanent scar.

I'd rather go with FUE once again with a recomennded surgeon.

I do not know how big factor the surgeons experiance and knowledge can be in my case.

Milanello,

Can you share any pre-op photos? You may have experienced subsequent hair loss on the frontal hairline. From the 1-yr. results photo, the grafts are a bit robust on the left side of the hairline. Additional photos would help judge your yield but the aesthetic quality is why you consider it a failure?

Just one idea- you could have the worst of the 2-hair follicular units removed from the hair line to reduce the appearance of the majority of the bad work. Redistribute the hair density by filling the inconsistency in coverage with single-hair follicular units, and by all means, avoid lowering the location of the hairline.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Milanello,

Can you share any pre-op photos? You may have experienced subsequent hair loss on the frontal hairline. From the 1-yr. results photo, the grafts are a bit robust on the left side of the hairline. Additional photos would help judge your yield but the aesthetic quality is why you consider it a failure?

Just one idea- you could have the worst of the 2-hair follicular units removed from the hair line to reduce the appearance of the majority of the bad work. Redistribute the hair density by filling the inconsistency in coverage with single-hair follicular units, and by all means, avoid lowering the location of the hairline.

Thank you for the advices,I will definitely mention the idea to my next doctor.

I consider it a failure becouse the yield is poor unfortunately.

I attach some more 1year photos where you can see.

I'm also trying to attach some more pre-op photos,but unfortunately I do not have any from the clinic yet,becouse they will give it them to me in september at the last control.

Yes,that is correct, on the left corner the hairs are more robust,it looks unnatural.

Fortunately,if I stlye it right people do not notice it, but the result is far far from the expected.

I will go to a repair this winter,or next winter(2016).

I'm thinking about postpone the surgery 1year, becouse it would might be good to know how my hair loss is going.

The last dumb picture is the only one I found where my hair is short :) That was made approx before the op.

IMG_3181.jpg.8128b6b53ca4f02e0319828d836b3684.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg.39f0349ec69577124f54910ba024fb75.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg.40a1de60d6f3dacc060e887ee57ba5e7.jpg

DSC00257.jpg.d80cd6c056f15ff0561962e7978c640b.jpg

Hi

I'm sorry your unhappy with your result but based on the pre op pic and the now pic it does look alot better, but what counts is if your expectations were met and as long as they are realistic they should have been!! Good luck and research well!

• 3 weeks later...

It's not a complete failure, but some of the hairs look a bit stalky.

In your original post you mentioned propecia. It may not have given much regrowth, but where propeica works for most is in maintaining what you have. MPB is progressive, so more than likely, you will continue to lose hair without it. Stabalizing your hairloss, then using HT to improve on what you have, with an eye to the future, and taking time to make the best decision on what/who next is paramount.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts