Cobblestoning or Folliculitis: 3 weeks post op from second HT

Hi guys,

I've had two FUT hair transplants, the first in June 2014 and another one in July 2015.

Although I went to a highly reputed coalition doctor, who is also recommended on this site, my first hair transplant didn't work. Only about 20% or so of the grafts actually grew. And I was left with a lot of scarring on the recipient area and experienced lingering redness, which lasted for around 8-9 months.

Now I am 3 weeks post op from my second surgery, and want to make sure everything looks good as I wouldn't be able to cope with the expense, time and emotional impact of another failed hair transplant.

My scalp is still red, and I am concerned I might be developing any or a combination of the following: cobblestoning, ridging and folliculitis? Can anyone help? I really want it to work this time.

Thanks a lot for your help!

J.

IMG_1451.jpg.deb37afeeddb251d4793033fcc80b749.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg.5e7b061d5bdb572c0cd5ea30c723879e.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg.aead70a6a88173a703f9148dfdf67a86.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg.49964841c2a4e85f3aa39dc93a9d2ff5.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg.791f1a9df5c90f0be239dcfdb2986e53.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg.35ae1655368bb27186a7daae79e897a3.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg.2925da20dc536587084c1b50a12d21d4.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg.b5cccdcad51b1d292c5d5dabcc5ad8be.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg.f71951c0e678e2ee0969eba3593b10fd.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg.826535ad0cc1bded52e77e76a1403e24.jpg

It looks like a fair number of your grafts are still growing. How many weeks post-op are you since last month? It looks like the crusts and scabs are gone yet the redness shows some light inflammation but IMHO not cobble-stoning nor an infection.

Does your doctor have any explanation as to why only 20% of your grafts grew on your first procedure?

Is it the same doc for both procedures?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Redness is normal, not sure if this is folliculitis. If it is, I've seen worse. Contact your doctor to get this sorted out! In the meantime, try not to panic.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

It looks like a fair number of your grafts are still growing. How many weeks post-op are you since last month? It looks like the crusts and scabs are gone yet the redness shows some light inflammation but IMHO not cobble-stoning nor an infection.

Does your doctor have any explanation as to why only 20% of your grafts grew on your first procedure?

I am 3 weeks post op from my second HT.

I am very unlucky with redness. After my first surgery it lasted for over 6 months.

I haven't been able to obtain clear answers from my doctor yet as to why only 20% grew. During my follow up he mentioned a few things about scalp oiliness, but did not offer another procedure for free - only 800 free grafts. Though I more than likely needed over 2000 grafts to obtain satisfactory coverage.

I have gone to a different doctor for my second procedure as I didn't want to risk it again.

Hi gillenator,

I am 3 weeks post op from my second HT.

I am very unlucky with redness. After my first surgery it lasted for over 6 months.

I haven't been able to obtain clear answers from my doctor yet as to why only 20% grew. During my follow up he mentioned a few things about scalp oiliness, but did not offer another procedure for free - only 800 free grafts. Though I more than likely needed over 2000 grafts to obtain satisfactory coverage.

I have gone to a different doctor for my second procedure as I didn't want to risk it again.

For some reason I am not able to quote member answers. So here are my replies:

@gillenator: I am 3 weeks post op from my second HT.

@Spanker: the prescribed antibiotics (Lymecycline) for 8 weeks + topical Mupirocin on recipient area and Betaderm on face. And told me to keep calm.

@aaron: Thanks man! I hope you are right that this is normal, although I look at people's scalps after 2 weeks and can't help but think that I am somewhat unlucky as my scalp looks so rough...

Hairwill,

Well at least you went to 2 reputable surgeons so that's a good sign.

At three weeks post-op, it is still too early to evaluate what type of final results that you will have.

I opened your pics into much larger frames and it does not look like infection to me. Definitely stay in touch with your doctor and his instructions in post-op care.

My wish for you is that things will improve soon and although the redness may linger a bit longer, there are options to treat this under your doctor's advice. There are topical steroidal creams that you can ask your doc about.

I wish you the best in the coming months my friend and keep us in the loop.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Hairwill,

Well at least you went to 2 reputable surgeons so that's a good sign.

At three weeks post-op, it is still too early to evaluate what type of final results that you will have.

I opened your pics into much larger frames and it does not look like infection to me. Definitely stay in touch with your doctor and his instructions in post-op care.

My wish for you is that things will improve soon and although the redness may linger a bit longer, there are options to treat this under your doctor's advice. There are topical steroidal creams that you can ask your doc about.

I wish you the best in the coming months my friend and keep us in the loop.

Thanks gillenator,

I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop. As regards steroidal creams, aren't they dangerous for the grafts??

Hairwill,

Your doctor can advise you as to when to start using steroidal creams. Yes, there is a window period before they can be safely applied and this is why you want to consult your surgeon before starting using them.

Gillenator