Needing critical advice

Hello fellow forumers. I have had two FUT HT with one using old techniques Micro/minis

with an unfavorable scar and poor result.The second was a doctor on this site that was supposed to consolidate the old scar with the the new but left me with two scars.The new scar

was supposed to be small but he made it the length of my head~ugh!

I have gotten off meds except for nizoral and romaine foam.

Just wondering from your experiences what my best option maybe. Definitely in a difficult

situation. My pics are as follows.

`

IMG_0457.jpg.06ad0f30bdfeda64b3be57d868e9225f.jpg

head.jpg.9b51717388caa18b1e48285f41bd99ef.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg.0461e9fdc7f8f2509cda47a58aa0165d.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg.989e6ecbc670c2d56ed7a7c85571ebbb.jpg

NeedingHair,

Welcome! From reading your post, it's not clear to me what sort of advice you're seeking. Are you asking for advice about scar revision?

Can you provide us with more details about your second surgery. How large was the session?

You stated that the surgeon was supposed to consolidate the scars and also keep the new scar small. Are you saying that you were unaware until after the surgery that you'd have two scars? Sometimes it's necessary to create a separate scar but this should have been explained to you from the start. Also, scar size is directly related to the number of targeted grafts.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the reply.I had 2260 follicular units to the frontal region and to camouflage old mini/micros.

I was unaware that there would be two scars and not be consolidated. Also was under the impression

that most of the old micro/minis would be removed(FUE) and redistributed. Not having the majority of them left there!

I guess the the better question might be - should I have the lower scar cut out and made smaller more linear(FUT) while adding the follicular unit to my hairline and redistributing old micro/minis with FUE? Or an FUE session (head hair and BHT)into the frontal region/hairline,into the two scars and FUE old micro/minis out redistribute them?That is if fiancees are permitting rather than FUT?

Edited by NeedingHair

It's hard to get an idea from the pictures. Wet hair under harsh lights will make it look quite thin, no matter what. Your hair caliber sort of reminds me of mine. You're fair skinned with blonde (light brown) hair, so the scalp/hair color contrast is in your favor. If you don't like one of your scars you can always get a revision. Do you normally keep your hair long?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

A scar revision is pretty much another strip surgery without trying to harvest a high volume of grafts. You'd still be left with a scar but ideally it would be a thinner scar. Not a guarantee though.

If you'd like a buzz cut then I would do some serious research into scalp-micopigmentation (SMP), or possible FUE into the scar, or both!

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

If it's any consolation, your hair doesn't look that bad to me. I would consider another strip if density is your problem if you have the laxity. Your first scar seems quite low and out of the "sweet spot." Also, you'll need to consider your mini grafts to buzz it. It may be ok, but you may have to address them. I think you should keep your hair and add density. Your hair line is very appropriate in it's shape and height for the density now. It looks natural to me.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Needing,

I'm wondering if the doctor didn't take out the first scar simply because it was taken quite low and he/she didn't think you'd get much better if it was revised. The area where the first scar is located looks like it is probably prone to higher scalp tension and more scar stretching.

I agree with Spanker's assessment. Since you've already had prior FUSS procedures, another strip -- which would include your most recent scar -- surgery focused on really beefing up the density in the previously transplanted areas would likely make the biggest difference.

Most probably would not recommend putting body hair grafts in the frontal 1/3rd of the scalp either.

Hope this helps! Best of luck. Feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Ditto Spanker and Blake. In addition, it appears in one of the close up pics you have some cobblestoning from the micro's and mini's. Going with a buzzcut would not disguise these bumps. More grown out hair would.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies.

One of the doctors said to once again leave the old micro/minis and camouflage them.It that a good options? Secondly place beard grafts or body hair into the linear scar.Then do around 3000/4000 in front,mid and crown? with an

fue combination of head hair,beard and body hair.Is that seem aporopriate?

In addition, a future scar revision of the lower ugly scar with FUT placing some follicular units back into hairline.

Then finally beard graft once again for the lower scar upon revision and smp?

Does that seem like a good strategy?....................it will take years to accomplish this and $$ which is somewhat limited!!

Needing,

Transplanting FUGs around the micro/minis may be a very good option. In fact, it may be the best option. Although these grafts are probably not the most natural, they are still providing some good coverage. If you could naturalize the overall appearance with FUGs without losing the bulk coverage they are providing, you may make the "best of out of a bad situation" here.

I'm not overly confident about the growth of beard hair grafts into the scar. FUE-ing into FUT scars tends to only work well when the patient has a very flat, thin, stretched scar. You've seen these guys before. They have very laxed skin and a lot of scalp "glide" (the second type of laxity), and they scar (FUT) poorly. However, the scar tissue isn't thick and extremely avascular like most scars, and so grafting into these patients is actually very successful. In others, however, the thick tissue and lack of good blood supply is simply not a good environment for grafts to grow. Mix this with the much lower growth rate of BHT grafts to begin with, and you probably won't see too significant of a difference. If you are going to transplant FUGs into the scar, I would try to utilize scalp grafts instead. However, now you're using good scalp hair that could be utilized in other regions of the scalp. You may want to look into SMP for both of the scars.

Focusing the other grafts in the frontal and midscalp -- as you stated above -- makes sense. I don't know how many I'd utilize in the crown, but you may be able to if you have good enough bulk coverage from the old micro/minis in the front. I'm not a fan of BHT in the recipient scalp.

You may be able to do a scar revision of the lower FUT scar. I don't know if you'd want to treat it as another strip procedure with a -- hopefully -- better closure. If it's too low, and I really can't tell completely from those pictures, it's probably going to stretch regardless (there are less layers of scalp tissue if you go below a certain anatomical marker in the scalp, and the lack of supportive tissues tends to create much worse scars). A scar revision focused solely on removing the scar and closing it may improve the appearance, however.

I hope this helps! Get lots of opinions and ask lots of questions. Altogether, sorry you ended up in this situation, buddy! I hope we can help you get it straightened out!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you gentlemen and doctor. This is indeed a difficult situation.What you can't see KO is the numerous scars in the recipient area and the pitting/cobblestoning. My fist doctor who butchered me also

took skin out of my head like I was some sort of experiment in the recipient area. Very disheartening!!!

I welcome any addition opinions or information anyone has.............