Detailed thread about FUE side effects

options

Hi,

I remember coming across a very comprehensive and detailed thread that focussed on the common and rare side effects of FUE, but I can't find it anywhere now. Does anyone know what I am referring to and could provide a link?

Thanks

Options,

I don't know where the link is that you are looking for, but I believe I remember it. The thing you are probably concerned about is the side effect of FUE that can be rightfully called:

FUE Donor Area Neuralgia. Also known simply as FUE Neuralgia as you almost never see it's counterpart in FUT surgery.

This is a condition that occurs after the donor area is harvested with a great number of FUE. It's symptoms are a persistent and deep burning sensation in parts of, or throughout, the donor scalp that is not relieved with pain tablets. This condition can last for weeks, months, or even years.

The other concerns you may have read about are:

1. Lower and inconsistent growth yields compared to FUT

2. More damage to the donor area resulting in fewer harvestable grafts in the future if needed

3. Donor area shock loss which appears as a moth eaten look or patches of thinning.

FUE is a good procedure for smaller cases. If you need greater than 1000 grafts -now or in the future- you would be better served going with FUT (strip) procedure.

Best,

Dr. Feller

Great Neck, NY

Options,

I don't know where the link is that you are looking for, but I believe I remember it. The thing you are probably concerned about is the side effect of FUE that can be rightfully called:

FUE Donor Area Neuralgia. Also known simply as FUE Neuralgia as you almost never see it's counterpart in FUT surgery.

This is a condition that occurs after the donor area is harvested with a great number of FUE. It's symptoms are a persistent and deep burning sensation in parts of, or throughout, the donor scalp that is not relieved with pain tablets. This condition can last for weeks, months, or even years.

2. More damage to the donor area resulting in fewer harvestable grafts in the future if needed

3. Donor area shock loss which appears as a moth eaten look or patches of thinning.

FUE is a good procedure for smaller cases. If you need greater than 1000 grafts -now or in the future- you would be better served going with FUT (strip) procedure.

Best,

Dr. Feller

Great Neck, NY

This is what I am experiencing Dr Feller and I am 12 months post op almost. I'm in excruciating pain. I went to see my Surgeon Dr Feriduni and he said he's never come across this ever before nor had any other hair surgeons he talks to so couldn't offer any treatment or prognosis.

He said to soak my hair in Dead Sea salt. I find it strange that people on here know about it yet leading hair transplant surgeons don't?

Options,

Best,

Dr. Feller

Great Neck, NY

Could you offer any advice on possible medications for FUE Neuralgia?

Thank you

Dr Feller, My doctor is just guessing what may work but doesn't really know. Can we put it this way, if one of your patients presented themselves to you in my situation what medication would you give them? Thank you.

Edited by london81

"FUE is a good procedure for smaller cases. If you need greater than 1000 grafts -now or in the future- you would be better served going with FUT (strip) procedure."

I hope newbies reading that statement from a recommended doctor are smart enough to do some research and see the risks in a FUT far outweigh those in a FUE. Ask the hundreds of guys on here who have had 1000+ FUE sessions from a good doctor and see if they would trade it all for a smiley face scar on the back of their heads.

You know who is pro FUT? Doctors who don't like the extra work FUE requires and people who have already had FUT and figure if it was good enough for them it's good enough for the rest of the world.

"...and see the risks in a FUT far outweigh those in a FUE."

AWP,

This is simply untrue. But don't take my word for it, contact any of the FUE doctors you consider to be top flight and ask them how growth rates compare between the two. They will all tell you without reservation that FUT is the safer bet. And they better do this as claiming the opposite would be failure to provide informed consent to the patient. A legal no-no in the United States.

The linear scar in the back of the head is not an issue unless you shave your head. But if you're going to shave your head, why get an HT in the first place? Simple, grow your hair out to number 4 buzz or greater and the scar is absolutely INVISIBLE. 99% of patients have no intention of shaving their heads. In fact many have gone through that phase and want to get away from it.

Perhaps there are FUT doctors who find FUE so burdensome that they advocate for FUT. But I'm not in that camp. I perform FUEs regularly with no problem. The reason I advocate for strip is simply because the chances for a pleasing and cosmetic result are higher, and the chances of damage to large area of donor area is lower.

I am an HT patient and know all about FUT and FUE from the inside and I wouldn't have a large FUE session performed on me. Look at what London is going through on this thread. What do you think caused his problem? It was FUE harvesting. The amount of damage is 13 times that of FUT in the donor area. Think about that for a while. And this is not a rare complaint. If he had FUT this would not be an issue.

Dr. Feller

Before you do FUE, it should be mandatory or at least equivalent importance to other labs and tests, to undergo a Biopsy test for cicatrical alopecia. It is irresponsibel for a doc to not inform and first operate on you and then when things dont go as planned, then to suggest a cicattrical alopecia test. This test should be up front to avoid the element of surprise when things dont go as planned. Also, to save a patient headache and lots of money if this is done up front.

Sean...what is cicatrical alopecia?

Dr Parsa Mohebi sums it up pretty well.

Scarring Alopecia - Parsa Mohebi

However, their may be some other docs that may say the reason your hairs do not grow is because of cicatrical alopecia and that is after they may operate on you. Or to say it may be the reason of your shockloss whether tecipient or donor , after a FUE procedure that is. If this is a condition that is detrimental to the quality and efficaccy of a hair restoration, then by all means, patients should be informed and most patients should be told to get this biopsy first for this prior to any clinic taking a deposit or clearing anyone for surgery. Especially if it is closely linked to the ouput quality of a restoration procedure, as some physicians suggest.

Dr. Feller - I realize (as does most everyone else who frequents this forum) the subtle and not so subtle ways you and your protege bash FUE. Actually, you are a bit better at it than Blake is, but he'll get there given time.

I just wanted to weigh in a bit here as an attorney.

For legal reasons I can't advise you on specific treatments. However, I can tell you there is medication that can help you. A typical physician should know which ones. He doesn't need to be a hair doctor.

Dr. Feller

You can absolutely suggest a course of topical or oral medication-based treatment that the original poster might then discuss as a potential course of action with his personal physician.

Your code of ethics certainly didn't stop you from overtly recommending a very specific course of surgical treatment to that original poster, without advising that he consult with his primary, let alone having seen the OP in person. Elective or otherwise, choosing to recommend on the latter by hiding behind legal reasons on the former is just BS.

. If you need greater than 1000 grafts -now or in the future- you would be better served going with FUT (strip) procedure.

Tav,

When Dr Feller said "if you need greater than 1,000 grafts -- now or in the future -- you would be better served going with FUT (strip) procedure" he did not seem to be referring to this patient specifically. I believe the "you" was a generalization based upon his years of surgical expertise. This is a very different thing than telling a patient to start a specific medication. It's more akin to saying "there are medications out there for this issue."

I thought you attorneys lived to read through these fine lines! Haha. ; )

PS: I've been following your own personal thread and I'm glad the necrosis post-FUE is resolving. Very glad!

Edited by DrBlakeBloxham

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Moderators

Uhh Blake... then couldn't he have simply said something like:

Medications that have been known to help in these types of situations are ....

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.