Shedding much more in the hairline

Is this purely transplanted hair that you are shedding or are you experiencing shock loss of existing hair as well?

Are we talking about all transplanted hair? Most transplanted hair will shed. Some won't. This has no bearing on future hair growth.

If you've lost some native hair, it's likely temporary and also not a cause for concern.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi, thanks for your reply. No, this is just transplanted hair that's shed. I know most hair will shed but I find it at best odd and it worst really worrying that so far it only appears to have shed completely in the hairline. Why would it shed earlier in some parts of the scalp?

Shedding and shock loss are two different issues. Shock loss is more related to the level of trauma from the procedure and shedding can be attributed to a number of reasons.

Yet if the recent loss is within the recipient area or adjacent to it, then it's probably shock loss and like David stated will undoubtedly grow back unless those shed hair shafts were very diffused and weak.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's shedding as it's the transplanted hairs that have fallen, prior to the transplant no hairs were there. These are hairs placed as part of the transplant.

So, just with reference to transplanted hairs, if some shed before others, in a specific area, does this mean something? Why would hairs shed in the hairline before they shed elsewhere?

justgotfue,

So did you undergo FUE or Strip Surgery? Just kidding :-P. Welcome to our community.

At one month post-op, just about anything is normal. The first couple months after surgery is typically referred to the "doldrums" because you will inevitably look worse than you did prior to surgery. Both shedding of transplanted hair and shock loss (a temporary loss of the surrounding hair) is normal. There is nothing to be concerned about at this point.

Hair transplantation is a waiting game. Very few patients have gotten away with experiencing no shedding or shock loss, but for those that do, they're the lucky ones.

Some shedding before others doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's just part of the process. Every hair goes through cycles and those that shed faster than others may be in a different part of the hair growth cycle than the others.

My advice would be not to read into everything too much and just recognize that this is part of the process. If you selected an excellent physician than you are more than likely going to be very satisfied with your results.

All the Best,

Bill

The transplanted hairs shed intermittently because the follicles that are imbedded are cycling on the same basis. In other words they are cycling into the telogen (resting), shedding, and growth phase at different time intervals.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY